PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Brand New SuperHub Install, What's The Best Settings for Optimal Performance?

ethan103
26-07-2011, 14:30
My friend recently ordered the 50 Mb broadband + superhub and wanted to know the best settings.

So what would anyone recommend turning off/on in the SH settings for best performance?

I havent got one myself so Cant help him out on this one...

thenry
26-07-2011, 14:38
Theres a lot of suggestions/work arounds but I've avoided them. The bugs will be supposedly fixed when the next firmware is released as well as added features which is expected next week but thats anyones guess. I'd leave the firewall and IP flood features enabled on the SH.

If you have any issues with constant disconnection, reboots etc. try this, http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33679885-superhub-problem-solver-possibly.html

ethan103
26-07-2011, 14:45
Theres a lot of suggestions/work arounds but I've avoided them. The bugs will be supposedly fixed when the next firmware is released as well as added features which is expected next week but thats anyones guess. I'd leave the firewall and IP flood features enabled on the SH.

If you have any issues with constant disconnection, reboots etc. try this, http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33679885-superhub-problem-solver-possibly.html

Hmmm, I've heard its best to turn off FW + IP Flood Detection?

thenry
26-07-2011, 14:51
Hmmm, I've heard its best to turn off FW + IP Flood Detection?

Not a good idea in my opinion but people have suggested that with knowledge so I don't know. All I can say is I wouldn't and haven't but its up to you.

kwikbreaks
26-07-2011, 15:32
I'm not convinced that turning IP Flood Detection on actually does anything anymore.

The popular Pingtest.net was reporting huge packet loss with it on so VM had no option but to fix that in some way. The simplest way to "fix" it would be to ignore the setting and just leave it disabled whatever it was set to.

It's a pretty pointless protection on a home connection so having it set to off is no loss anyway imo.

If the firewall is turned off you're still behind NAT + if on Windows there is an inbuilt software firewall so once again no big deal.

I know for sure (because I tested it) that you can hang the Superhub by pushing high volume WiFi traffic through it in 300Mbps mode because I tried exactly that three times (TrueImage backup to a NAS) and it hung the hub every time. It survived the same backup in 145Mbps mode.

My view is that the majority of the problems stem from decidedly iffy firmware handling the WiFi as most people who use their own routers for WiFi instead of the hub seem to report reasonable stability.

From past experience with cheap hardware I'd also recommend disabling UPnP unless absolutely essential. I've no idea if it works OK on the Superhub as it's been my habit to routinely disable it for years.

kenoliver
26-07-2011, 17:41
My view is that the majority of the problems stem from decidedly iffy firmware handling the WiFi as most people who use their own routers for WiFi instead of the hub seem to report reasonable stability.

Agree, since I disabled the wireless function of the hub, and use my own router

The Hub as been rock solid, as a wired modem its fine, as a wireless device its inconsistent (IMO)

AndyCalling
26-07-2011, 21:17
Not a good idea in my opinion but people have suggested that with knowledge so I don't know. All I can say is I wouldn't and haven't but its up to you.

Feel free to take a look at previous threads in which I have posted regarding this, but the explanation is a bit in depth for some. Very simply put:

The word 'Firewall' does not always mean the same thing in every situation it's used, as a term it is a very broad church. All the talk about firewalls being essential can be misleading because it depends what type of firewall is being discussed and to what end. The Oak and the Bluebell are both plants, but don't try making your front door out of Bluebells. It won't work. The two plants are very different. This is not simply a question of scale, but also one of purpose.

You need a software firewall (such as the one that comes with Windows) active. You absolutely don't need the router firewall turned on. This is true of all routers, not just the Superhub. All router firewalls have the potential to block intended activity by mistake. None are of any practical use to you.

Turn it off. Trust me, or research yourself. The answer will be the same.

thenry
26-07-2011, 21:25
I get what your saying mate but the superhubs firewall has blocked a bit for me and I'd rather be safe than sorry. I completely agree with a software firewall regardless.

kenoliver
26-07-2011, 21:31
Turn it off. Trust me, or research yourself. The answer will be the same.

Not only do I agree with the entire post

That last line was as good as it gets :cool: