PDA

View Full Version : Getting phone installed

Pipster
26-07-2011, 15:05
I cancelled my phone service with Virgin back in May. However due to the cost of 0845 numbers from my mobile Ive decided to get the phone back in.

The line is still there from Virgin but Ive been told that I will need an engineer out to install a line again. Can it done be done remotely to save an engineer visit?

New to cable
26-07-2011, 16:49
I have Virginmedia 50Mb broadband,

For an extra £2 a month I could have a Virginmedia phoneline, All that my family use the internet for is gaming,facebook,youtube.

We pay an extra £30 for an adsl line plus a phoneline and only use our super crap 50Mb for browsing the ADSL is used for gaming and youtube.

My advice? Why add a new VM service when you know in your heart it will be rubbish.

muppetman11
26-07-2011, 17:33

For an extra £2 a month I could have a Virginmedia phoneline, All that my family use the internet for is gaming,facebook,youtube.

We pay an extra £30 for an adsl line plus a phoneline and only use our super crap 50Mb for browsing the ADSL is used for gaming and youtube.

My advice? Why add a new VM service when you know in your heart it will be rubbish.

So I'm reading this right you only use the net for gaming/Facebook/YouTube but yet pay for an ADSL and a 50mb cable line , one question WHY ?

Pipster
27-07-2011, 10:47

Totally unhelpful. Despite you using a 50mb line for browsing, which I'm sure either the 10mb or the 30mb would do just as fine, I cant see how that answers my question of what I asked??

Kymmy
27-07-2011, 11:07
To answer your question.. The phone line may be physically there at your property but that doesn't mean to say that it's connected at the local box. They'll come out and fully make sure it's working.

Pipster
27-07-2011, 11:13
Ok Thanks for the reply.

I just presumed that because they switched it off remotely in May they could put it back on remotely too.

Kymmy
27-07-2011, 11:20
Nah, the cabinets only have a finite number of connections so as more people get phones installed they use the taps for lines that have been disconnected.. Had VM turn off the office phone one time because they disconnected the wrong tap :D