PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Superhub problem solver.... possibly?

thenry
25-07-2011, 14:27
I posted the following on VM offical forum > http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-30Mb-and-50Mb-broadband/Superhub-problem-solver-possibly/td-p/622085

your all going to think I'm nuts, you probably already think so but heres something I tried and it seems to be working with regards to disconnections. I tried various things suggested my members and staff but they failed. Also I never once turned off the superhub firewall. Apologies to those thinking that does the trick, to even think of turning off the firewall to get something working is a stupid idea. A firewall is there to protect and although the current firmware has bugs, the firewall itself was built around and for something so it should be active. Anyway heres what I done with regards to disconnections and its been fine since. VM please don't toy with my connection I think I may of solved my issue not sure whether it will solve others but please don't toy with it, the superhubs have been dubbed as extremely sensitive if thats correct to say. Lastly I got so annoyed I tried whats below that might just be dubbed as insane;

Disconnect the cable feed from your superhub
Connect your old modem before recieving the superhub if you still have it > just the cable feed and power. it obviously wont work but leave it on for a few minutes then disconnect the cable feed and power that modem down and put it away. leave the cable feed alone while you do the following,

Push the tiny button on the side for 20 seconds, once the 3 blue lights come on Power down for 5 minutes.
-
Power up and again push the tiny button on the side for 20 seconds but this time let the 3 blue lights turn off while in reboot then power down
Leave the superhub alone for 5 minutes.

connect to the superhub via ethernet and make your changes then power down for a few minutes
power up and check over settings making sure their saved they should be

Now the insane bit,
go to event log and clear it
after you've cleared it and refresh the page a sync and dhcp error will probably come up. these errors come up within a time gap so try know when the error will appear in the log by refreshing the page. you basically want to clear that log, have it empty and power down at the same time so its clear when booting up again. its tricky, i sat at my desk for a good few minutes refreshing getting to know the timing of the errors so on my next boot the logs clear.

once you've mastered the events and cleared them as well as quickly powering down leave it be for another 5 minutes.

then connect the cable feed only for 10-20minutes
then power up and let it do its thing properly, just walk away do something else

if it plays up again then try the clear log thing again not the whole reboot of settings etc.

I was told I had high latency in my area etc. and I was getting numerous disconnections but ever since I tried this insane step of mine I've had none.

Again please VM don't toy with it, I've got it working somehow

lastly don't laugh at this post, I'm just sharing what worked for me :)

kwikbreaks
25-07-2011, 14:43
...and I replied but cba to repost it.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-30Mb-and-50Mb-broadband/Superhub-problem-solver-possibly/td-p/622085

Still as I mentioned over there - not long to wait now for the new firmware which will fix all these problems. Maybe.

Mick Fisher
25-07-2011, 18:49
So much for plug and play..........

:D

General Maximus
25-07-2011, 19:09
if you have to go through all that to make a modem work properly then it isnt worth having tbh

Bullstein
26-07-2011, 00:31
I've a better idea

Get a hammer

kwikbreaks
26-07-2011, 08:11
You're all very unkind to VM imo.

So much for plug and play..........
This was just a simple spell checker problem in their spec for Netgear. VM asked for plug and pray.

Anyway if the Good Lord can postpone the Day of Rapture (as he did just recently) then surely VM can postpone their firmware release.

Admittedly there have been quite a few such postponements and it looks increasing likely that the Day of Rapture will come before a working firmware. :(

thenry
31-07-2011, 02:31
:mad: didn't last long! bring on the new firmware :dmonk:

Nopanic
31-07-2011, 12:43
Nothing you did makes any different at all to your connection ..

You basically turned it on and waited ..

thenry
31-07-2011, 23:09
yeah its pretty mental but then again the hubs insane so I guess you've got to meet it half way to get it working somehow :nutter:

kwikbreaks
01-08-2011, 10:51
As I said over on on the VM board the log handling definitely has bugs so clearing that may have avoided something although I seriously doubt it would be more than a tiny proportion of the hangs. The rest of the ritual really wouldn't amount to much over and above power cycling it imo.

Turning off just about everything especially WiFi and running your own router in the DMZ seems to be the best way to reduce problems.