PDA

View Full Version : 50M World of Warcraft Lag

Tali
24-07-2011, 22:27
Ok, ok, I'll admit... I play World of Warcraft. Well, I try to. This weekend, pretty much since Friday, it's been unplayable becaue of high lag.

It seems that the lag is introduced by VM's STM policy on P2P traffic, and the fact that WoW traffic is considered P2P.

I'm surprised this hasn't already been raised here, there are a couple of threads on Blizzard's and VM's forums, but there is not much 'official' response. It looks like other games are affected too.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-30Mb-and-50Mb-broadband/Virgin-amp-WOW-issues-has-reared-its-ugly-head-again/td-p/616405/page/11
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-30Mb-and-50Mb-broadband/White-Knight-Chronicles-amp-2-Completely-Unacceptable-ISP/td-p/621117
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2423032926?page=29#571

I was wondering whether anyone here would be able to give an indicative time to fix?

Cheers.

Scary
24-07-2011, 23:43
stop playing it ruins your life trust me i played for 2 years

Graham M
24-07-2011, 23:47
Yeah brilliant advice Scary... I too am a WoW player... OK on/off addict. I have to say I haven't had any problems :confused:

adzii_nufc
25-07-2011, 00:22
This is an ongoing problem that has been given a 10 day waiting time for a fix apparently.

The other games are in no way related and its finally though the problem lies with Telia.

Here is a fix that has worked perfectly for me.

Run CMD as admin - Type netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "local area connection" mtu=900 store=persistent

In a wireless case simply replace Local Area Connection with Wireless Network Connection

Tali
25-07-2011, 08:05
Thanks folks. Wanted to avoid the netsh... as I'm not 100% confident in what it does, what else it could impact, or whether it needs to be restored later. It's also had mixed results apparantly.

adzii_nufc
25-07-2011, 15:17
it will make Minimal impact and I'm sure I can make you a few quick screenies of it in action.

Showing my Red 3000+ms ping before I change it.

And after I change it :)

Note: the Netsh is completely reversible by simply typing the same command but changing mtu=900 to mtu =1500

UPDATE:

Seems I am not having issues today (thus far anyway) Can you tell me if your still having problems so I can query whether a fix has been issued. Otherwise I'll submit the screenies when the latency goes to hell again

adzii_nufc
25-07-2011, 18:05
Not fixed but here is something for you :)

Detail - Screenie 1 and 2 show the normal config of your network with a stupid ping to the WoW servers both Home and World.

Screenie 3 and 4 show me entering the Netsh and then showing a normal ping both to home and world.

As you can see from screenie 1 I have reversed the process multiple times when shutting WoW down.

Tali
25-07-2011, 19:20
Thanks for the screenies. I'll give it a go.

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:02 ----------

Great! Worked a treat thanks.

Would love to know why it works. Google! Come here!

adzii_nufc
25-07-2011, 20:06
No problem :)

Hopefully the problem is resolved soon enough so we do not have to resort to these techniques to connect to a game.

Ignitionnet
25-07-2011, 20:40
stop playing it ruins your life trust me i played for 2 years

Good advice although 'ruins' is maybe a bit strong!

Believe VM are looking into this issue now.

rizzla
26-07-2011, 12:09
the fix worked a treat on sun, with no issues for me and mate sharing 10mb connection. last official uupdate from virgin yesterday = http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/World-of-Warcraft-Issues-25-07-11/m-p/622713#M89559

and on blizz forums = "According to our information our network provider found no issues (latency, congested HOPs, packet loss) between our network infrastructure and your Internet Service Provider.

Furthermore, our realms are working just fine.

I understand you are eager to play and enjoy the game, of course we too would like to see you raiding rather then sharing your (more than) understandable frustration and concerns on this forum.

However, as much as we would like to help, this issue is out of our direct control as we are unable to troubleshoot technical issues that are not originating from within our network. Again, both our network provider and realms are working just fine.
We do hope to see signs of improvement, but we regrettably are unable to foresee when the causative factor shall be identified and dealt with.

Bullstein
26-07-2011, 13:01
Gaming has been crap for me (on 50MB and now 100MB) ever since they introduced the traffic management here in March, even though in a very light user, never download big files or torrents, basically i pay it just for gaming but it's ruined now

Tali
29-07-2011, 17:32
I've just changed the mTU back to the default value of 1500 and everything appears fine at the moment, so it seems the problem causing these issues was fixed sometime between Tuesday and now.