PDA

View Full Version : Virgin NTP?

Kymmy
23-07-2011, 10:05
Do VM have an NTP server that customers can use?

jinxed
23-07-2011, 10:08
If you mean the news server the address is news.virginmedia.com

Sirius
23-07-2011, 10:09

Not that i am aware of

If i need to i use one of these

http://www.timetools.co.uk/ntp-servers/ref/ntp-server-uk.htm

Kymmy
23-07-2011, 10:14
If you mean the news server the address is news.virginmedia.com

NTP is nothing to do with news servers

Not that i am aware of

If i need to i use one of these

http://www.timetools.co.uk/ntp-servers/ref/ntp-server-uk.htm

ThanX Sirius, I have an app that requires timing within 3 secs accuracy (for DF via multiple groundstations) so currently running ntpq with the following servers..
server 0.uk.pool.ntp.org
server 1.uk.pool.ntp.org
server 3.uk.pool.ntp.org
server 0.nl.pool.ntp.org
server 1.nl.pool.ntp.org
server ntp2b.mcc.ac.uk
server ntp.cis.strath.ac.uk

Just thought that if VM had one then that being the closest would probably be more accurate for me.

Ignitionnet
23-07-2011, 12:27
ntp compensates for round trip time between client and server anyway so a non-issue.

Kymmy
23-07-2011, 12:40
Any idea of the accuracy attained with such compensation?.. Just that obviously the variation of time error between more than one station with trying to do a calculation based on the speed of light can effect results dramatically

ccarmock
23-07-2011, 13:49
Yes ntp.virginmedia.com used to work, not sure if it's still available, not respondign to a ping right now, but not sure if it ever did.

qasdfdsaq
23-07-2011, 18:54
Any idea of the accuracy attained with such compensation?.. Just that obviously the variation of time error between more than one station with trying to do a calculation based on the speed of light can effect results dramatically
NTP4 can be accurate to less than 1ms.

There's no need to calculate speed of light, just take average RTT, halve it, and subtract from the time received from each server (glorified simplification). Then take average of the 3 servers.

Kymmy
23-07-2011, 19:29
It's not the servers we're DF'ing ;) instead it's moving transponder signals via multiple ground sites..

Looking at previous results some NTP servers can be well out

New to cable
23-07-2011, 19:52
NTP4 can be accurate to less than 1ms.

There's no need to calculate speed of light, just take average RTT, halve it, and subtract from the time received from each server (glorified simplification). Then take average of the 3 servers.

That isn't a glorified simplifction at all..its the facts stated without the crap bit lol.

Kymmy
23-07-2011, 19:53
You do know that DF'ing can be passive as well as active?? Oh sorry I forgot that those that never can surf usually fail..

:rofl:

Hugh
23-07-2011, 20:03
You do know that DF'ing can be passive as well as active?? Oh sorry I forgot that those that never can surf usually fail..

:rofl:
Absolutely - we used this a lot when I was in the mob; we would triangulate on Tu95's radio transmission.

As a (slight, but related) aside, we also used it to locate radio hams who were transmitting on the freqs we were "listening" to......;)

Kymmy
23-07-2011, 20:08
Absolutely - we used this a lot when I was in the mob; we would triangulate on Tu95's radio transmission.

As a (slight, but related) aside, we also used it to locate radio hams who were transmitting on the freqs we were "listening" to......;)

LOL, never done true radar but done moon bounce a few times on 6x4 arrays at 1.2Ghz..

This is Mode-S (1.09Ghz) which is interrogation transmissions from aircraft as radar's ping them. Planeplotters is then used to MLAT the signals via the web.. Without though a reasonable accurate time source the arcs for positionless aircraft can be well out..

Great for advance warning of the Merlins doing high banking turns over the village

Dark Fiber
23-07-2011, 23:12
It used to be <time.cableol.net>. I'm not sure if it's still active (although I have a NAS set to use it!).

qasdfdsaq
24-07-2011, 02:46
LOL, never done true radar but done moon bounce a few times on 6x4 arrays at 1.2Ghz..

This is Mode-S (1.09Ghz) which is interrogation transmissions from aircraft as radar's ping them. Planeplotters is then used to MLAT the signals via the web.. Without though a reasonable accurate time source the arcs for positionless aircraft can be well out..

Great for advance warning of the Merlins doing high banking turns over the village
OK, way over my head now. :p:

Far as I knew all that stuff gets dealt with by the NTP servers themselves, or before the data even gets to them. Not something you can really control locally or by switching to a VM NTP server... I just assume the severs are accurate (and well, there's a reason we use 3 or more) and the client deals with getting the time from the server to your machine with an accuracy of a few milliseconds, tops. Well within the 4s range you need either way.

Kymmy
24-07-2011, 08:51
OK, way over my head now. :p:

Far as I knew all that stuff gets dealt with by the NTP servers themselves, or before the data even gets to them. Not something you can really control locally or by switching to a VM NTP server... I just assume the severs are accurate (and well, there's a reason we use 3 or more) and the client deals with getting the time from the server to your machine with an accuracy of a few milliseconds, tops. Well within the 4s range you need either way.

You'd think that all of them are accurate, but as I said using the default NTP (win NTP by Meinberg) servers the clocks been way out.. hence I was looking for options.. First place is always the closest NTP server :D

Thanks for your answers guys :clap: (well apart from the one trying to accuse me of being illegal especially when if I did want to transmit I am still legal :rofl: )

Sirius
24-07-2011, 09:24
It used to be <time.cableol.net>. I'm not sure if it's still active (although I have a NAS set to use it!).

Just tested that and it is still working :tu: