PDA

View Full Version : Superhub 2nd Hand VMNG300?

m00g
20-07-2011, 07:31
Hi all, thanks for reading....

Is it possible to buy a second hand VMNG300, and request that VM activate that as my modem instead of the supplied SH?

I will be on 50MB, not 100MB so the 4 vs 5 downstream channels doesn't really matter.

Nopanic
20-07-2011, 07:37
nope, well technically you can buy one and technically you could ask, but no they wont.

The equipment being sold is property of VM, so technically you'd be buying stolen equipment.

kwikbreaks
20-07-2011, 09:45
Out of interest they never had my Superhub back so should some miracle occur and the firmware fix turns it into a usable hub would I be able to get that re-activated? Presumably having both available to me is unlikely but I haven't actually checked that it was drummed out of the brownies....

Never say never
20-07-2011, 10:57
nope, well technically you can buy one and technically you could ask, but no they wont.

The equipment being sold is property of VM, so technically you'd be buying stolen equipment.

So technically what you're saying is it is technically possible but as technically the modem is stolen then technically its not allowed?

Dai
20-07-2011, 13:03
So technically what you're saying is it is technically possible but as technically the modem is stolen then technically its not allowed?

Too technical for me..

KuchKuch
20-07-2011, 13:07

I maybe misinterpretating what you are saying, but is it not possible to use your own modem? From what is being said it seems as though you have to use whatever Virgin give you as a modem, but you can use your own router. Is this correct?

Welshchris
20-07-2011, 13:13

Virgin will not activate a Stolen modem is what he is basically saying.

---------- Post added at 13:13 ---------- Previous post was at 13:12 ----------

I maybe misinterpretating what you are saying, but is it not possible to use your own modem? From what is being said it seems as though you have to use whatever Virgin give you as a modem, but you can use your own router. Is this correct?

and no u cannot use ur own modem only one that is suplied directly from Virgin and not bought on ebay or something like that.

imranm
20-07-2011, 15:20
Hi all, thanks for reading....

Is it possible to buy a second hand VMNG300, and request that VM activate that as my modem instead of the supplied SH?

I will be on 50MB, not 100MB so the 4 vs 5 downstream channels doesn't really matter.

Have a go with the SH and see how you get on, if shockingly it works then all is well otherwise speak to the CEOs office about activating a VMNG300, I suspect they've run out of them or so folk around here have said but never does hurt to ask :)

KuchKuch
20-07-2011, 16:28
and no u cannot use ur own modem only one that is suplied directly from Virgin and not bought on ebay or something like that.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was going to buy a Cisco Linksys E4200, but it seems as if that would have been a waste as I still have to use the Superhub.

imranm
20-07-2011, 16:31
Thanks for clearing that up. I was going to buy a Cisco Linksys E4200, but it seems as if that would have been a waste as I still have to use the Superhub.

There's still a method to use your own router, otherwise you can wait for bridge mode sometime before end of the year if we're lucky :D

KuchKuch
20-07-2011, 17:25
There's still a method to use your own router, otherwise you can wait for bridge mode sometime before end of the year if we're lucky :D

I know, but I just really want one box next to my PC that can give me excellent wireless coverage. To get that it, I'm going to have to have two boxes next to my PC no matter what.

Nopanic
20-07-2011, 18:12

oops: yes technically I like technically ..

I use "technically" as I can add any modem to any account, so it can be done .. but it wont be, due to the T&C's and processes ..

I'm not an agent by the way, so no point calling up and saying I said I could do it :D

m00g
20-07-2011, 21:18
Thanks for the replies guys, even for the technicalities >=D.

mrselfdestruct
21-07-2011, 09:02
Okay, well how about this..

If I managed to get my hands on a VMNG300 off a friend who HADN'T activated it, and it sat brand new untouched. - Would I be able to use that?

I had heard that VM scan the MAC address before they send it out, But I can't confirm that, is this true?

Ignitionnet
21-07-2011, 09:08
I'm sure if you complain loudly enough they'll activate it for you. The company has little respect for its own procedures and processes when it comes to a customer complaining loudly.

imranm
21-07-2011, 09:30
I'm sure if you complain loudly enough they'll activate it for you. The company has little respect for its own procedures and processes when it comes to a customer complaining loudly.

^ This. Complain to the right people at VM and they'll activate it for you.

kenoliver
21-07-2011, 09:59
otherwise speak to the CEOs office about activating a VMNG300, I suspect they've run out of them or so folk around here have said but never does hurt to ask :)

Yes that's what they told me 2 weeks ago after a long conversation regarding the "HUB"

Seems all stock of 50 meg modems have gone now,

jb66
21-07-2011, 10:50
Yes that's what they told me 2 weeks ago after a long conversation regarding the "HUB"

Seems all stock of 50 meg modems have gone now,

Should I post a picture of my hidden one in my van? :)

imranm
21-07-2011, 10:55

you tease! :D

kwikbreaks
21-07-2011, 11:00
Seems all stock of 50 meg modems have gone now,I think I must have had one of the last - mine was still in the mail when I saw a post from somebody who'd been told that all stock had been exhausted.

kenoliver
21-07-2011, 11:17

Pop round with it if you want

Have a cup of tea and a slice of cake with us :)

slef2003
22-07-2011, 00:00

If you are based in Norwich then there is a heck of a bacon sarnie and real coffee awaiting if you want to install it in my place...I am am sure ceo's office will be willing to arrange if I speak to them nicely! ;);)

Nopanic
22-07-2011, 06:53

aye but they can't .. it would have to go either through IT, or through the equipment management guys, who don't like moving equipment about :D

kwikbreaks
22-07-2011, 07:27
They somehow got the MACs of the ones they sent out themselves to people registered to the accounts so I guess they could just ask the customer for the MAC of the modem they had and go through the same process.

I don't think it's a question of could they but more one of would they.

Nopanic
22-07-2011, 07:45
They somehow got the MACs of the ones they sent out themselves to people registered to the accounts so I guess they could just ask the customer for the MAC of the modem they had and go through the same process.

I don't think it's a question of could they but more one of would they.

They just key in an order and its all done behind the scenes, the modem is assigned to the region and with a tech, to that tech.

They have no direct contact with those teams and it would take a few days to have a modem added, assuming they managed to get round process and break the T&C's ..

BenMcr
22-07-2011, 14:40
They somehow got the MACs of the ones they sent out themselves to people registered to the accounts so I guess they could just ask the customer for the MAC of the modem they had and go through the same process.Except, the modems supplied via CEOs are still Virgin Media to customer supplied kit. So they are still verified as being untampered with etc.

Not ebay to customer.

I don't think it's a question of could they but more one of would they.No

mrselfdestruct
22-07-2011, 18:19
So basically, what I'm hearing is -

CEO VMNG300 stock is exhausted.
Can't use second hand (already activated VMNG300's of eBay)
Can't use someone elses 'unactivated' VMNG300 due to the MAC being logged.
There's absolutely no hope left for humanity.

Brilliant.

Nopanic
22-07-2011, 18:20

Brilliant.

You can't use a toaster either .. if that helps

kenoliver
22-07-2011, 18:23

Brilliant.

Well we are doing ok in the cricket :)

kwikbreaks
22-07-2011, 22:25
That's true but ever increasing numbers are getting the chance of a viable alternative - Infinity. VM need to get their corporate finger out over the Superhub fiasco or they'll be losing more than upgrades because of it.

slef2003
22-07-2011, 22:40

Are you really sure about that?

Nopanic
22-07-2011, 23:25
well, they won't add it, but if they did it might be good competition for the Super hub .. it has a case, lights and a power supply, so its almost there ..

qasdfdsaq
23-07-2011, 00:51
Wait, you said you had none left. YOU LIED TO ME!

P.S. Note to self, hunt down jb66's van.

---------- Post added at 00:51 ---------- Previous post was at 00:49 ----------

well, they won't add it, but if they did it might be good competition for the Super hub .. it has a case, lights and a power supply, so its almost there ..
For some people it might work just as well ;)