PDA

View Full Version : Hypothesis - Connect to Internet via Set Top Box

Sandhuman
16-07-2011, 19:23
Hello,

Can I just thank everybody in advance for reading my question and spending some time helping, it is much appreciated.

BACKGROUND

I have been a cable customer for 12 years (since NTL days).

When I initially took up their service the world was a simple unconnected place so the cable entered our house in the study where the cable modem and router were positioned. The study was where I accessed the internet.

A wire then snaked out of the cable box and went around the house to the living room / lounge where the TV was positioned and where the set-top box is placed.

ISSUE

We now have a modern television which is internet enabled, we have a blue-ray which is internet enabled, we now have an x-box and the kids want a network connection for x-box live.

It is clear that these are all very heavy traffic uses of the internet so I would like them wired, whereas my PC in the study could just have a modern wireless link as it is just used for ebay / bbc and suchlike.

OPTIONS

So I have toyed with the following options:-

(1) String a set-of ethernet cables from the study to the lounge, DON'T LIKE as it is a long distance and would look awful.

(2) I have tried the ethernet connection in the set top box but got nothing, does anyone know if the TIVO has internet out from its ethernet port?

(3) Get Virgin Media to move the cable modem or add a new cable modem, but this could prove expensive

(4) Switch to BT Infinity for 18 months and then switch back.

HELP

Please could people provide me with some helpful thoughts:confused:

Many Thanks

Sandhuman

TheDon
16-07-2011, 19:37
So your cable enters in the study, and is then split with one cable going to the cable modem and another routed through the house to the tv? (a picture here is usually useful)

If so you might just be able to switch around some connections and have it split at the TV instead for the STB and the Modem.

If not, then all you need is a splitter and a length of coax and you can move the modem easily enough yourself.

Sandhuman
16-07-2011, 19:58
You are correct, there is a little three-way metal box which the outside cable goes into and two secondary inside cables are connected to; - one goes to the cable modem in the study and the other snakes to the Set Top Box in the lounge. This must be the splitter,

So if I were to go to Maplins and get another splitter and put that in the lounge then I can move the cable modem and wireless router to here and attach to one of the output legs and buy another cable to connect to the other leg to set top box.

Fantastic Thinking. I will try this out - Much Appreciated. Thank You.

TheDon
16-07-2011, 22:06
You are correct, there is a little three-way metal box which the outside cable goes into and two secondary inside cables are connected to; - one goes to the cable modem in the study and the other snakes to the Set Top Box in the lounge. This must be the splitter,

So if I were to go to Maplins and get another splitter and put that in the lounge then I can move the cable modem and wireless router to here and attach to one of the output legs and buy another cable to connect to the other leg to set top box.

Fantastic Thinking. I will try this out - Much Appreciated. Thank You.

I'm assuming you've got a standard wall connection with a short length of cable going to the splitter?

If so just connect the cable that goes to the lounge direct to the wall point, and move the splitter you've got to the other end of the cable.