PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Looking at upgrading (50Mb to 100Mb)

barnsley
16-07-2011, 13:04
Afternoon all,

I've been with VM for close to 12 months now and I'm looking at either upgrading to 100Mb from 50Mb or moving away to a BT FTTC package. What I need to know is if I stay with VM and upgrade to 100Mb will I have to have one of those damn pooperhubs? My current cable modem is one of the nice black things with 5 blue leds on top and I use my our router (Netgear WNDR3700).

I've heard so much about the pooperhub and most (if not all) of it is bad, so some help from you knowledgable people would be nice.

Thanks for looking,

Dave

Nopanic
16-07-2011, 13:51
Technically yes you will, but many people on here have refused them and kept the VMNG so, its worth a go I guess.

Speaking as a VM staff though, the company wants to move away from the VMNG and use only the hubs.

General Maximus
16-07-2011, 17:44
Do what I am going to do dude. Ring them up and say you want to upgrade but only if you can keep your vmng300 otherwise you'll go over to BT. They were being really awkward to start off with but because of all the problems with the *cough* superhub, i think they are being a bit more amenable these days.

kenoliver
16-07-2011, 18:46
Afternoon all,

I've been with VM for close to 12 months now and I'm looking at either upgrading to 100Mb from 50Mb or moving away to a BT FTTC package. What I need to know is if I stay with VM and upgrade to 100Mb will I have to have one of those damn pooperhubs? My current cable modem is one of the nice black things with 5 blue leds on top and I use my our router (Netgear WNDR3700).

I've heard so much about the pooperhub and most (if not all) of it is bad, so some help from you knowledgable people would be nice.

Thanks for looking,

Dave

Hi Dave

If possible hang on to your existing modem, I have been trying to get one from the CEO's office but have been told they are all gone

The reason I say this is as follows (after using it for a month now)

The Hub is a much maligned piece of equipment, and I believe unfortunately named

But as a "Wired" Modem it is really good, I have been getting rock a solid performance on my wired connection to my Mac since I installed it

But my experience with the Hub is that it's wireless performance lets it down, the best I can say about it is that it is inconsistent,

After 3 days of trying to like it I put it in "Bridge Mode" and put back my own wireless device into my network

I do believe VM will have to change the Hub and possibly rename it, you are sticking a big promise on anything you call "Super" it's a big word to live up to

"Super Bowl", "Super Star" even" Superman" I get but "Superhub" not yet by a country mile :)

Just an opinion, best of luck but keep your modem if you can "Peace"

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:29 ----------

Speaking as a VM staff though, the company wants to move away from the VMNG and use only the hubs.

I totally understand that, as trying to support customers with differing network configurations must be difficult

I for one was looking forward to having just one piece of equipment in my network instead of the two I currently use

But IMHO the Hub's wireless performance is not up to the task compared to the configuration it replaced in my case

So whilst that continues customers will try to keep on using their own equipment , as I have done and the debate will continue,

Hopefully VM will be able to either fix the current Hub or replace it with one that will have a better wireless performance

Nopanic
16-07-2011, 18:55
I totally understand that, as trying to support customers with differing network configurations must be difficult

I've never supported the Hubs, it came out a long time after I stopped speaking to customers, but to be honest if your going to be in a technical support role, you should be able to grasp multiple devices and be able to support them.

In my role now, if I didn't know all of VM's equipment I could make some serious mistakes .. but then, looking at jobs for 1st line (not just VM) the salaries doesn't really warrant the knowledge ..

dunno
16-07-2011, 18:57
i phoned virgin this morning to upgrade from 50mb to 100mb thay did it there and then no need for a superhub.

and all for only 4 pounds extra a month.

Nopanic
16-07-2011, 19:20
excellent

Robertus
17-07-2011, 10:22
Just tried to get them to do mine over the phone with no joy. I can't blame them but still.

I'm in Knowsley BTW.

philwhite100
17-07-2011, 12:34
i phoned virgin this morning to upgrade from 50mb to 100mb thay did it there and then no need for a superhub.

This is where i am confused with VM's pricing. We are on the VIP 50meg package and pay about £45.00 a month for the 50meg.
Looking at the VM website it says £35.00 a month for the 100meg so how does this figure that i will pay an additional £4.00 per month extra for the 100meg when it is less that what we are paying now.

I know that when we subscribed to the 50meg it was the fastest at the time therefore the most expensive and it has been reduced since but our bill has not as an existing customer is this where the confusion is??

So if i decided to renew my 50meg contract i assume i would be paying £25.00 a month instead and could see the reason for 100meg being more expensive.

Phil.

jb66
17-07-2011, 12:48
your forgetting your bundle discount

philwhite100
17-07-2011, 12:54
your forgetting your bundle discount

Thanks for that but i did think about that too. If i decided to go for 100meg would i get bundle discounts to the same effect i wonder.

Robertus
17-07-2011, 14:50
Phil - I'm currently on the VIP50 with a second V+ box (rather than the standard HD box you get)

I phoned up and got 100mbit for free!

philwhite100
17-07-2011, 16:01
Phil - I'm currently on the VIP50 with a second V+ box (rather than the standard HD box you get)

I phoned up and got 100mbit for free!

Thanks for that. When 100meg is available to us (October it says) i will give them a ring and see what they say, i don't see any point in asking until it is available in my area.

Sleeper919
17-07-2011, 17:42

Was this through retentions?

barnsley
18-07-2011, 11:03
What does one have to do to speak to someone at VM sales. I've called them Saturday, Sunday and now today and still getting nowhere! Does anyone have any other numbers so I can call them and discuss my requirements. I'm almost at the end of my 12 month contract and would like to get a good deal (phone and 100Mb).

Cheers,

Dave

Nopanic
18-07-2011, 11:11
dial 150 and go to the option of thinking of leaving ..

RB2004
19-07-2011, 18:02
I just phoned and upgraded today :)

initially phoned to enquire, about upgrading from 50mbit to 100mbit, not even listed as available yet on their site on the PDF, but when i shoved in my post code it said it was available and ive had to 5mbit upload increase. So thought it was worth a shot enquiring.

but when they said, free install, free activation.

AND

My bill would be "REDUCED" each month with the 100mbit I went ahead and ordered. Forgot to ask how much by, but should find out on the next bill... but to be honest any reduction, and a 100% increase in speed at no cost to me seemed like a bargain.

currently have the VMNG300 so I guess that means I will loose that on saturday when the superhub arrives :(

I want to get a 1TB tivo box next lol, but im not eligible :( was abroad for over a month and late paying a bill so they said I have to have 4 months of on time payments before im eligible.. so minor set back there :(

but least I should have the 100mbit soon :)

General Maximus
19-07-2011, 18:13
we'll see dude, sounds too good to be true. Anyways, I would defo try and keep hold of your vmng300, it will work on 100mbit.

RB2004
19-07-2011, 18:23
we'll see dude, sounds too good to be true. Anyways, I would defo try and keep hold of your vmng300, it will work on 100mbit.

yeah it does, but I did ask 3 times to be sure lol.

maybe its because on my bill im being billed at the amount 50mbit was when it came out? and its since been reduced in price. dont know if thats why?

my current package is,

VIP50
SKY HD channels
2x V+ boxes
and 1x V box

So 3 total, so dont know if that entitled me to some kind of bundle discount?

How do I go about keeping my current modem?

also, even if I do keep, I cant just plug it back in without an engineer anyway can I?

I thought the main reason they change it is because the RJ45 port on it is only 100mbit, whereas on the superhub its 1000mbit (1Gbit) so with the 1Gbit port your more likely to get the full speed.

barnsley
20-07-2011, 09:41
I thought the main reason they change it is because the RJ45 port on it is only 100mbit, whereas on the superhub its 1000mbit (1Gbit) so with the 1Gbit port your more likely to get the full speed.

I have my own Netgear WNDR3700 router plugged into my VMNG300 cable modem and this is connected at 1Gbps (router WAN port) so I don't think that would be the reason. Also tell the VM tech you really want to keep your current cable modem, that's what I been told to do and will be doing so when I upgrade shortly as I'm not willing to move to the pooperhub and it's inconsistant wi-fi issues.

Dave

RB2004
20-07-2011, 09:53
Is it possible to keep the vmng300 in case the superhub is no good? So u can get an engineer to switch back at a later date it required?

Just I was reading about the 100mbit using 5 channels but vmng300 only supporting 4 or somethng

barnsley
20-07-2011, 10:08
Is it possible to keep the vmng300 in case the superhub is no good? So u can get an engineer to switch back at a later date it required?

Just I was reading about the 100mbit using 5 channels but vmng300 only supporting 4 or somethng

Not certain about keeping the VMNG300 for later use (switching back), other more knowledgable people may comment.

I've just ordered my upgrade and been given a date of 6th August (pm appointment), I told the woment I would only make a firm order to upgrade if I could continue my service with the current VMNG300 cable modem this was noted and the order is now placed.

Let's see if all is well on the Saturday evening!

Dave

qasdfdsaq
23-07-2011, 01:03
You can try but it's "not officially supported".

RB2004
23-07-2011, 01:14
So much for Saturday install.. Was called today and told they were overbooked due to some kind of contract change with installers... So now gave been rescheduled to wednesday