PDA

View Full Version : Would I benefit from VM internet? Sky Go.

nashmills
15-07-2011, 20:03
I currently have a contract with O2 for internet. It is sold as "up to 20Mb but I get about 8Mb due to my location.

I don't download a lot but I like to watch streaming TV services. With my current connection I can watch BBC iPlayer in HD with no problems but I get a lot of buffering when I try to use the new Sky Go service.

My question therefore is, would changing to VM's faster services improve my Sky Go experience or does the fault lie with Sky's servers?

Nopanic
15-07-2011, 23:46
No idea, would need to know your details down to local cab to be able to give anything close to a guess ..

(do not send anything containing personal info over the forums)

Join VM, try it, doesn't work, cancel within the given period ..

Jameseh
16-07-2011, 00:00
I currently have a contract with O2 for internet. It is sold as "up to 20Mb but I get about 8Mb due to my location.

I don't download a lot but I like to watch streaming TV services. With my current connection I can watch BBC iPlayer in HD with no problems but I get a lot of buffering when I try to use the new Sky Go service.

My question therefore is, would changing to VM's faster services improve my Sky Go experience or does the fault lie with Sky's servers?

Half and half. If you change to VM I'd expect a difference but not so much that it goes away. If your having problems using a decent connection it seems you'll have problems no matter what you use.

Matth
16-07-2011, 00:26
http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/sky-go/troubleshooting/computer/error-message-unable-to-play-video-please-try-refreshing-this-page/
The recommended speed, for high quality, is only 2Mb, so 8 should be plenty.

Looks like Sky Go uses Silverlight, so make sure that silverlight is up to date (should be included in Windowsupdate)

If you're on XP (which does NOT autotune), then you may need to use a broadband tweak tool of some kind, to tune the RWIN, which may be an issue if the path to the server has higher delay.
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php - Their optimizer generally sets things pretty well according to the selected connection speed.

PS. If it's not just distance, have you tried the modem connected with just a filter, no other devices, with the half-plate carryin extension wiring removed?
If that improves speed, then using an I-plate (or just cutting the bell wire on point 3), may improve speed while allowing extensions.

nashmills
16-07-2011, 21:02
Thanks everyone for the suggestions/advice. I use a Mac so some of the suggestions don't apply.

The fact that I'm only supposed to need a connection speed of 2Mb and I am already getting 8 suggests to me that the problem lies with Sky. Maybe teething problems with the new service.

I think I'll stick with what I have for the time being.