PDA

View Full Version : 100M Can someone please explain this ps3 mystery ??

Bullstein
15-07-2011, 14:26
Hi

This is interesting and confusing me tbh
I've had 50MB since September and 100MB since April.
I play mainly PES, and although I have fast speeds on VM's flagship service, Gaming hasn't been good. I got a superhub last week and that has been not too bad tbh, but PES online can still be laggy and a struggle

Now here's the thing !!!

I am wired to my Superhub (always use wired for higher speeds and stable connection)
On my ps3, when I test, I consistently get 21MB Download and 5MB upload.
Last night I tried wireless and got 12MB down, 2MB upload, game was still laggy
Then I changed my DNS servers to Open DNS, the test came in at 1.6MB download and 536kbps upload.
I tried a game

AND IT IS PERFECT !!!

I played 12 games last night - each smooth and perfect, 4 more games this morning- same
The speedtests via ps3 are still same low numbers

I then tried wired Ethernet with Open Dns, but game was laggy. So I changed back to wireless and hey presto - perfect again
The logic here confounds me, why is it that with low speeds I'm getting perfect games whereas with top speeds I get a laggy hell of a game?

Wondering what the hell I'm doing on 100MB service

Ps

I went though all this again today, switching between my ISP DNS servers and Open DNS servers and wired / wireless combination

The wireless / Open DNS still provides the slowest speeds up and down (1.6MB and 0.56MB ) and the gameplay is perfect

Weird stuff, makes no sense whatsoever to me

downquark1
15-07-2011, 14:32
No, makes no sense, DNS should not affect the issue once a connection has been established.

Bullstein
15-07-2011, 14:45
The dns change reduces my speed via the speedtest, but this improves my gameplay

Weird

downquark1
15-07-2011, 14:50
The dns change reduces my speed via the speedtest, but this improves my gameplay

Weird

DNS is only used to "lookup" web addresses, unless you are constantly changing server or opening new connections it shouldn't affect it.

Bullstein
15-07-2011, 17:06
I realise that m8, but the fact is staring me in the face that when I switch to Open DNS, my speeds drop dramatically (at least via the ps3 speedtest which is unreliable I know, but it's consistently very low when I am using open dns

As soon as I change back to VM DNS, the speeds go back up - but gameplay sucks, wired or wireless

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 15:09 ----------

Arrgghh

I'm talking rubbish here - sorry lol

It's not the switching to open dns that is reducing speeds, open dns and VM DNS servers give good speeds

What I did was change the primary DNS setting to 192.168.0.1 (the superhub)

The reason I did this was because I ran Namebench and 192.168.0.1 and 194.168.8.100 were the 2 top performing DNS servers

That combination however gives me crappy speeds BUT my Ps3 gaming is excellent

:)

downquark1
15-07-2011, 17:32
That's still confusing, surely all the superhub does is forward DNS requests to virgin media. Unless it sports some kind of cache.

thelongmile
16-07-2011, 02:51
That would indicate to me that the superhub is indeed running a cache or dnsmasq. Or it's doing something wierd with.... oh hang on

The superhub might be pushing out the 194.168.xxx.xxx addresses to computers on the networks, rather than telling the computers to talk to the superhub, meaning a dns request, goes out the gateway (the hub) into the www backbone, then out, and BACK in to the VM stuff, as opposed to pop - to the hub - to the dns

This to me would explain that when he's telling his system to look at the superdud for DNS he getting the fastest result...

as for speedtests? Not a clue

Bullstein
16-07-2011, 09:23
Ah, I see - cheers m8

As for the better PES gaming, I think what happens with this online game is that the person with the better connection somehow loses out. No idea how this happens though