PDA

View Full Version : Ps3 help

Zub2011
15-07-2011, 11:42
Wondering if someone can help me out. I have an ongoing problem with virgin media since around october 2009.

It is relating to the playstation 3. My ps3 is wired and whenever i try to download a demo, ps3 game update or ps3 update, Either the download will cancel or get corrupted when installing.

I have spoken to virgin media various times, had technichans out, along with new modems, power levels changed, etc..... But to no help.

My neighbour who is on the same 10mb as me but he is on wireless when i take my ps3 there it works fine with no errors what so ever.

I have just renewed my contract because of tivo, however really need to try and get my broadband sorted but techinical help are really not helping.

murphy666
15-07-2011, 12:10
Are you getting an error code ??

If you are, see if they appear in the list ...

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/2996553?start=0&tstart=0

Zub2011
15-07-2011, 12:19
Yes error code is on ps3 website, but ihave tried at two other people who have 10mb virgin media and sky broadband and works fine, rules out hardware

Bullstein
15-07-2011, 13:03
Hi zub

Have you tried wireless? To rule out any problems with wired, like faulty Ethernet sockets etc

See what it's like

Zub2011
15-07-2011, 15:16
Tried wireless ethernet cables and ports but no luck..... When i ask technical help today they said power levels are low but they have changed them so many time

Tali
15-07-2011, 21:17
Is your PS3 wired directly to the modem, or through a router?

Zub2011
16-07-2011, 00:17
Wired, latest update vm said was power levels too low but they have changed this regular

Zub2011
16-07-2011, 14:38
I dont know if this could mean anything but when i go on pingtest website the packet test always fails... They coming on thursday to look at power levels but i doubt thats going to change anything as thats been looked at a lot of times

thelongmile
16-07-2011, 20:01
Have you changed the ethernet cable?

Also might be worth considering that the PS3 is what's at fault here

Zub2011
16-07-2011, 20:50
Ethernet cable has been changed. Dont think its ps3 problem as have tried diff ps3s and no luck and when i try my ps3 at my neighbours it woks fine

Zub2011
17-07-2011, 23:25
Is there anything i can mention to technical guys that i gave not akready mentioned in nearly last 2 years

badhairday
18-07-2011, 20:22
My set up with the ps3 is wired to the router then wired to the modem.
When I went wireless I got what you get.

I assume you have everything correctly set in the ps3 settings ?
Have you tried a direct cable link from ps3 to modem ?
Have you had this trouble since you bought the ps3 ?
Have you tried using your ps3 at a friends house ?

You may have a faulty unit,hopefully not.
Can you stream to the ps3, as with the ps3 media server ?
Is your router reliable ?

Zub2011
18-07-2011, 23:50
I do wired from modem to ps3 which i was told is the best way to go about it. First ps3 working fine then one day it changed, my neighbour had same problem same10mb connection but his suddenly started working he changed nothing, my ps3 at his house works fine. Have tried maybe 3 ps3's no luck. I have ruled out hardware and its got to do with net, as works at other peopls house with sky bb and virgin bb

Annoying thing its coming up to2 years yet no fix by virgin media, and i stopped calling in for repairs but as renewed this has to be sorted out.

horseman
19-07-2011, 11:37
I do wired from modem to ps3 which i was told is the best way to go about it. First ps3 working fine then one day it changed, my neighbour had same problem same10mb connection but his suddenly started working he changed nothing, my ps3 at his house works fine. Have tried maybe 3 ps3's no luck. I have ruled out hardware and its got to do with net, as works at other peopls house with sky bb and virgin bb

Annoying thing its coming up to2 years yet no fix by virgin media, and i stopped calling in for repairs but as renewed this has to be sorted out.

Some obvious questions/clarification:
1. So your neighbour is definitely on same CMTS/uBR, linecard/port/cable as you then? You know this for a fact? ;)
NB: Since your neighbour experienced similar symptoms previously but these healed up then possibly u/s & d/s freq & channel id's are different/changed? Possibly noise spikes more prevalent on one?

2. Have you compared CM stats when connected on PS3 and via router/pc and via neighbours?
Apart from power/snr are d/s & u/s freq the same as yours?

3. Do you have any similar problems when downloading equivalent size files manually and/or any other line impairments such as latency/jitter?

Zub2011
19-07-2011, 19:40
Regarding question 1 and 2 have gone straight over my head due to computer jargon. On the ps3 if its small update say upto about 50mb it should be fine when it comes to arpund 300mb demo its 50/50, when its 500 mb or plus 99% likely to fail.

I have told vm that my neighbours is fine and they have a look at his line etc..... They say no to due to data protection act which i understand

Darakuli
19-07-2011, 21:03
Ask them to come install you a VM Hub, They seem to work fine with PS3's ive installed quiet a few and its been perfectly fine on the PS3, If that still is a problem get an Engineer to come out and ask them to use thier Swires meter on the cable and show you thier readings, Your signal's really want to be between +6 and -6 anything else you may run into problems.

Zub2011
19-07-2011, 22:15
Do i need to tell the technichan about VM Hub or on the phone, also re: power levels they continue to change that regular but no luck there... Thanks for all your help, they coming on thursday why asking sooo many questions

Zub2011
21-07-2011, 09:51
Got my tivo installed, techinichan had a quaik look at power levels said its alll fine, after doing something. Fault still there, any tips before next apt between 4 and 7

pabscars
21-07-2011, 10:22
Got my tivo installed, techinichan had a quaik look at power levels said its alll fine, after doing something. Fault still there, any tips before next apt between 4 and 7

Have you tried downloading game demo's or what ever to a laptop or computer to see if your downloads get corrupt because as soon as you mention PS3 they will probably come out with the usual "We don't support online gaming".

So get as much proof as you can, don't let the engineer go unless he has either found a problem, or escalated it to network's etc.

---------- Post added at 10:22 ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 ----------

Also the fact that you mention your power levels change that much could well be the issue,

How much do they vary by?

Zub2011
21-07-2011, 14:36
Will do what you say, not sure on exact levels, but i have been told twice on the phone diff stuff, first told levels too low, yesterday told all fine.... So not sure whats the truth

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 ----------

I also do have it sometimes with zips or rar files

pabscars
21-07-2011, 15:20
Will do what you say, not sure on exact levels, but i have been told twice on the phone diff stuff, first told levels too low, yesterday told all fine.... So not sure whats the truth

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 ----------

I also do have it sometimes with zips or rar files

I think it will also be worth posting your modem downstream/upstream power levels including SNR, correctable and uncorrectable codewords and the event log. Also include any T3 or T4 errors and I'm sure those more knowledgable will be able to diagnose more thoroughly.

Zub2011
21-07-2011, 19:13
Ok would need help how to post that info as not sure.

Technichan came down he changed a few thing, took of my modem and router and gave me a netgear vmdg280. He said try for a week otherwise call him back.

I just need help on one thing some setting on the router page has been changed and i want to reset it to factory default settings, it says reset button at back there is a hole but there is no button and i do press on to it but does not look like its resetting, how do i reset it

Zub2011
24-07-2011, 10:35
Still no change.... The technichan that came down, gave me his managers number and said it will be vslid for up to 7 days. His manager deeals with the big green bixs outside... Called him up, he said is it could be due to congestion with users and he will arrange for his deputy to come have a look as he is on leave

Bullstein
24-07-2011, 10:56
To reset a device, there will be a small hole with a small button inside and it will say reset

Get a pin or small screwdriver and press and hold for 30 seconds

That should do a factory default

Harryn9000
24-07-2011, 12:14
i had similar problem at christmas just gone was on xbl at the time and i was getting constant disconnection reboot router etc this was on 20mb. so i switched to 50mb thinking different system wouldn't have the problems i was getting on 20mb just as they brought superhubs out the first one i had kept kicking me off at random times same problems i was getting on 20mb i was getting annoyed constant phone calls to virgin eventually i got my 2nd superhub. not had a problem since it was blamed on congestion aswell mine got fixed early this year. the problem with virgin is they need more than just you to report it before it gets fixed if it only u that the problem they not arsed. my advice get any neigbour in your area with cable to report that they got a fault aswell and it will get sorted.

Zub2011
25-07-2011, 19:07
See the problem there is that my neighbour had the fault but his is now fixed, i have no idea what they will do on thursday

Zub2011
28-07-2011, 22:56
Ok an update. Another guy. First he did all the re wiring again and then he set a 50mb test to see if it works, told me to try for few hours if fine, swap back to you 10mb try there. Results 50mb on ps3 works fine every demo i tried installed. Tried 10mb again straight failure.

I know that 10mb works at other houses and thats because i have seen it work.

Another all tomorrow

Zub2011
02-08-2011, 12:13
Any tips after my last post, should have someone down today

pabscars
02-08-2011, 14:36
Any tips after my last post, should have someone down today

I suppose upgrading to 50 Mbps is out of the question :D, if you log into your current modem by typing 192.168.0.1 and press enter.

Then if prompted for a password/username type root for both, from there you should be able to retreive your upstream and downstream power levels then you could copy and paste the info back here.

Zub2011
03-08-2011, 16:10
The guy installed 50mb and said he will give me one month which i was not happy. So he got me a modem that worked on 50mb at my property, i phoned virgin downgraded it to 10mb and it seems to be working at moment. Still trying it out, before asking for some kind of compensation.

For havimg a fault for nearly 2 years would i be entitled to some compensation