PDA

View Full Version : 50M missing wireless N USB Adapter

meonwanderer
14-07-2011, 18:40
First the good news. :)The engineer(s) called at 9:15 on 11.7.11, within the 8 til 13:00 slot. The old Virgin modem was quickly replaced with the shiny new Super hub. there were some delays for the engineer getting a response from the control to activate the new install but all was done in 15 minutes. The hub is now working fine and showing download speeds of close to the promised 50mbps.
Now the irritating bad news. :confused:I was expecting to be provided with a wireless n USB adapter but when this had not been offered as the engineers were leaving I asked about it. The response was initially an apparent failure to understand my request followed by a "oh you don't need one as your existing router was the same make as the new hub (netgear) so your old adapter will work" Not being 100% sure of my ground and not having the Virgin info to hand I reluctantly accepted this. After the engineer left I checked the virgin site and discovered that I should have had the new adapter provided free.
More good news, :)following a call to Virgin to explain an adapter was despatched and arrived via courier today. It is now installed and working and delivering impressive download speeds of close to 50mbps.
What a shame that a very good product and an outstanding service are being undermined by poor face to face contacts with engineers!:(

kwikbreaks
14-07-2011, 19:09
Failing to provide the USB WiFi adapter is a common complaint on the VM community board. I suspect a lot of people simply don't get them at all.

meonwanderer
14-07-2011, 19:40
So "we are not alone". Thanks for your feedback kwickbreaks. Given that these items are £30 each, a more cynical person than I might wonder where the missing Adapters end up. Hmmm..

dilli-theclaw
14-07-2011, 19:54
My dad had to phone to get his - and he also had to point out where it said on the website that he could get one too.

AdamD
14-07-2011, 19:54
Heh, I wondered the same, I never got one when I signed up for my 50mb broadband over a year ago, but I didn't care to much, as we never use wireless anyways.

adzii_nufc
14-07-2011, 20:57
I've got two.

One from my 50MB install over a year ago and one from my 100mb install a few days ago.

Both times the engineer brought them and a D-link router for the 50mb one.