PDA

View Full Version : 50M What Is Affected By VM's P2P Traffic Throttling?

ethan103
13-07-2011, 14:06
Ok as a big online gamer on consoles and PC's, many consoles games use P2P.

Now does VM throttle this kind of gaming traffic?

Is online gaming affected?

BenMcr
13-07-2011, 14:10
It depends what you mean by throttle, as there are two parts to the management

Gaming traffic is excluded from the application management that affects P2P file sharing and newsgoups.

However it would be counted as usage under the total traffic management that may or may not apply depending on the tier you are on

ethan103
13-07-2011, 14:30
It depends what you mean by throttle, as there are two parts to the management

Gaming traffic is excluded from the application management that affects P2P file sharing and newsgoups.

However it would be counted as usage under the total traffic management that may or may not apply depending on the tier you are on

Ah ok, thank you for your reply.

The traffic i was reffering to was strictly Gaming traffic on Xbox 360/PS3 consoles.

I am on the 50 Mb tier.

BenMcr
13-07-2011, 14:39
If you have a 5Mbit upload then uploads are managed for total traffic, but under management it's down to 1.5MBit which is still more than enough for gaming

If you are on a 1.5Mbit upload then it's not affected

toytown
13-07-2011, 18:05
Is online gaming affected?

Gaming itself isn't directly affected.

However things like patches through p2p can be, a few days ago me and my friend (different ISP, slower download) got League of Legends, it took me over 2hours to download the patches, he had them in less than 10 mins and we started the updates within 10mins of each other, because of this, i ended up not being able to play due to time issues.

AaronCooper
14-07-2011, 14:37
Gaming itself isn't directly affected.

However things like patches through p2p can be, a few days ago me and my friend (different ISP, slower download) got League of Legends, it took me over 2hours to download the patches, he had them in less than 10 mins and we started the updates within 10mins of each other, because of this, i ended up not being able to play due to time issues.

On the launcher, you can click the settings icon and turn off peer - to - peer, then you will download everything from their servers. :)

Trent
14-07-2011, 14:58
Does this affect Skype?

Hugh
14-07-2011, 15:09
Does this affect Skype?Doesn't when I use it to talk to people in Europe and Australia.