PDA

View Full Version : Sending Emails Limit

micky007
12-07-2011, 21:27
Hi Guys,

I'm setting up a small personal server on my VM Broadband, some ISP limit the number of emails that can be sent per hour. Now I also have a dedicated server which is in a Data Centre. Now my personal server will be connecting to my dedicated server and will be sending around 1,000 emails an hour through my dedicated server.

Am i limited to how many emails i can send per hour even through the emails are being sent from my dedicated server?

Any help will be good.

Thanks

General Maximus
12-07-2011, 21:48
who on earth are you sending 1000 emails to every hour?

Hugh
12-07-2011, 21:54
You may wish to move to a business account if you wish to do that.

micky007
12-07-2011, 22:19
I send emails to my users with updates to the site and software updates. But i need to know since the emails will be sent from my dedicated server that will there be a limit on how many emails i can send an hour or not?

Thanks

Nopanic
12-07-2011, 22:31
Yes, that many emails will be flagged as spam. I don't know the limits, but you can't mass send on res accounts.

micky007
12-07-2011, 22:55
Yes but technically the emails will be sent from my dedicated server, so does a send limit apply?

MovedGoalPosts
12-07-2011, 23:31
So effectively you are relaying your home server through your dedicated server? ISPs that place limits on emails being sent are usually checking that at their own SMTP servers into which you are connecting your home email. You aren't doing that so I would expect you to be OK.

But you will need to be careful with that volume of email that your dedicated server isn't classified as a spam domain.

You may also have to look at the general volume of data traffic between your home and dedicated server to avoid getting shaped or worse.

micky007
13-07-2011, 00:26
Hi Rob,

That is correct. Thank you for clearing that up for me. Yea i understand everything about making sure the dedicated IPs are not classed as spam etc... been doing it for a number of years. I'm Return Path Certified :)

Thanks

qasdfdsaq
13-07-2011, 00:38
Just make the dedicated server send it instead.

AndyCalling
14-07-2011, 10:35
I would consider simply setting up an RSS or ATOM feed for your users instead. It would likely be more convenient for them and would certainly be so for you.

imranm
14-07-2011, 10:59
Assuming your server has mailing list management software then let the dedicated box handle email delivery. DKIM/DomainKeys + SPF Records + rDNS + follow Bulk Senders Guidelines always helps.