PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Why can't I see my CCTV IP through Virgin SuperHub?

maxmum
11-07-2011, 17:00
Hi All

Thank the lord for internet resources, I hope someone here has the knowledge to help me out.

Last week I have just been upgraded to the 50m virgin package with the home superhub - which I must say am not liking so far, probably only because I am not sure how to set it up in the way I am accustomed.

My first main problem is that I cannot see my CCTV, which is hardwired in to the hub.

On my old modem / router setup i entered 192.168.2.200 into my internet explorer and then I could enter my username and password and view my CCTV.

Now I get an error 'Internet explorer cannot view the webpage' 'diagnose connection problems'.

Can someone please advise me as sods law someone ripped the badge off my car this weekend and I want to catch the little buggers.

Thanks in advance, once i have that sorted I may need to enquire about assigning static IP's with open ports and how to do that! I managed it on my old router due to constant conflicting IP's and xbox live online gaming problems.

Fingers crossed for some assistance :)

Kymmy
11-07-2011, 17:05
Are you on the same subnet as the camera??

(eg.. Are you on 192.168.2.* on your PC ?)

If not then you need to change the camera to the same subnet or set your PC to a manual IP with a subnet of 255.255.0.0

maxmum
11-07-2011, 17:12
No my Laptop is on 192.168.0.3.

I do however keep getting IP conflicts, can you advise how I would allow a static IP on my router? I had afew set up before so that I could port forward my Xbox, and stop all my connections dropping out (I have sometime 2 pc's, 2 xboxes, a phone and more running off my router) but I can't see where to put it on the new superhub advanced settings. Thanks.

I wouldn't know how to change the IP on the camera on this new hub :dozey:

Kymmy
11-07-2011, 17:31
Personally I'd just go into the PC NIC/wifi and set up an IP manually on 192.168.2.*, then go into the camera and set that up to a 192.168.0.* address, then just reset your PC back to AUTO

Only other way would be to set the HUB upto 192.168.2.1, that way the DHCP will alter all addresses to be in the same subnet as the camera

maxmum
11-07-2011, 17:39
Thanks For your prompt responses.

Maybe a better (read - easier) way would be to use the superhomehub as just a modem and plug my old router into it? Is this possible?

It's just that all the port forwarding for all my static IP's are already set up on there, for 2 xboxes with ports open and my 2 laptops, which both run world of warcraft and have certain ports open for that too (dont ask - had endless problems back in the day!)

Apologies if I am confusing some of my terminology - I am just about capable of this network stuff with a little assistance but sometimes I say things wrong :)

Kymmy
11-07-2011, 17:48
You could turn off the superhub, plug in your old router to the power (if the camera is cabled then plug into old router but if wifi then just turn camera power off then on).. Then change the IP on the camera to 192.168.0.*.. then go back to the superhub and things should be all good.

maxmum
11-07-2011, 17:54
Yes the camera is linked to a recorder black box then hrdwired into my hub at the moment.

OK - that sounds like a plan, I'm on it thanks! :dunce:

maxmum
21-07-2011, 09:01
Hi All

Thanks for your help with my previous problem - as it stands I can still only see my CCTV if I hook up my old router to my superhub and effectvely have 2 networks on the go - my old one and my new one, which is odd as my IP for my cctv does start with the correct numbers - 198.168.0.xxx. My superhub still can't see it. I dont know how to 'get in' to my CCTV and assign it a new IP....the CCTV digital recording box is hard wired into the superhub.

Anyway, back to assigning static IP's and opening ports. I have assigned my xbox a correct static IP that my superhub recognises, have gone to the 'port forwarding' section on the advanced settings of the superhub and opened the appropriate ports for that IP - excellent. That's what I was wanting to do.

I am still having huge problems when multiple PC's are on the network with constant IP conflicts - soooooo....

I have also found out the MAC address of my laptops and wish to assign the MAC's their own static IP's on the superhub, but I cannot find the correct TAB to do this, I can see the MAC filtering tab, but that just appears to me to limit access, not to be able to assign a static IP - can you advise if I can assign MAC address's static IP's using the superhub please?

EDIT - It's not the 'LAN IP' page is it? Jeez, if it's that simple.... I have spent ages trying to fingure this out on my own.....

I think it is.....

tweetiepooh
21-07-2011, 12:03
192.168.2 - sounds like Belkin equipment but there could be others.

I'd simply go to the new box and set up the lan to 192.168.2.0/24 and then let DHCP sort out the equipment to that network. It's what I did on new routers in my home so that equipment that I fixed IP on previously would work.

It can be a pain on some firmware updates though.

I did get IP conflict if I didn't reset all my clients as some simply won't see the router changes and get a new IP address. Linux did that, it maintained its connection and then the DHCP in the router didn't know the address was taken and gave it out again.

What I tend to do is set DHCP to give out addresses in the .100 - .150 range then I have the lower numbers available for network equipment (routers etc.) and the upper numbers for fixed equipment like printers. I also reserve addresses in the .50 range for guest network/DMZ.

jem
21-07-2011, 13:05
Hi All

...snip

EDIT - It's not the 'LAN IP' page is it? Jeez, if it's that simple.... I have spent ages trying to fingure this out on my own.....

I think it is.....

And you would be right to think it.

However firstly I'd suggest that you 'back away form the keyboard' as a colleague of mine says and plan out the IP addresses for all of your devices. As you have found, having your old router installed 'sort of works' by virtue of you now having two routed networks and it's not at all clear as to which network each device is on. Port forewarding for you XBOX is going to be a bit difficult as you are effectively having to deal with double natting and setting up a DMZ.

So the Superhub is factory configured to be on 192.168.0.x (I think the box itself is .254) and gives out IP addresses via DHCP on this range. Your camera is not on this subnet at all (it's on 192.168.2.x) which is why with everything just plugged into the Superhub, your PC (192.168.0.3) can't see it.

So two options, either change the camera to match the SuperHub IP range or vice-versa. It looks as though the camera has a statically assigned IP so what you'll need to do is plug it into the SuperHub, temporarally assign a static IP address to your PC on the same range (say 192.168.2.100), don't bother with anything for default gateway or DNS servers. You should then be able to navigate to the camera on 192.168.2.200 as you are both on the same subnet; and change the camera's address to say 192.168.0.200. There must be some kind of web based management for it. As soon as you do this, you will loose connectivity-change the IP address of your PC back to being DHCP assigned and refresh it. You PC should again revert to being 192.168.0.3 and you should again be able to get to the camera on 192.168.0.200 as you will both again be on the same subnet.

The other way would be to change the LAN address of the SuperHub to be say 192.168.2.254, change the DHCP range to match (say 192.168.2.100 to 192.168.2.199), refresh or reboot your PC and again you should be able to connect.

You will need to go through every device you have, X-BOX etc. and either make sure that they all have static addresses on the same subnet to match what the SuperHub is on or they all have dynamic addresses allocated by the SuperHub.

Yes I know it allsounds a bit confusing but it is really a planning issue rather than anything else.

Good luck