PDA

View Full Version : 50M Unable to play games.... p2p stopping them

Martyn
05-07-2011, 23:34
well it seems this "brilliant peer2peer" software vm installed is stopping me playing my games, between the weekday hours of 5pm and 12am, and weekends 12pm-12am. this really does suck, i pay for 50mb and i cant play my games at all...

please help.. should i complain? i posted on the vm boards, no staff replied

philwhite100
05-07-2011, 23:45
Are you meaning normal online gameplay where you connect to a game server or do you mean something else?
I am on 50meg and connect to online gaming without issue.

Martyn
05-07-2011, 23:58
normal online gaming, 1 of the servers i play is fine, but the other during these times, theres huge amount of packet loss!

General Maximus
06-07-2011, 06:48
VMs trraffic management policy doesnt block p2p traffic or drop the packets, all it does is mark it as low priority during peak hours which means you'll get about 80k from newsgroups and normally 500l-1mb from torrents (I am on 50mbitas well). It shouldn't affect your gaming at all (supposedly). I am only 50mbit and play fps and I never have any probs apart from the fact that it does get a bit laggy in the evenings and weekend because of the network congestion

TJS
06-07-2011, 14:06
Gaming works fine on my 50 mb and i average about 10 ms latency to most servers

Sirius
06-07-2011, 14:18
Gaming works fine on my 50 mb and i average about 10 ms latency to most servers

Same here

asbo dog
06-07-2011, 15:08
normal online gaming, 1 of the servers i play is fine, but the other during these times, theres huge amount of packet loss!

have you done any pingpath, traceroutes to the 2 different servers as it sounds like the first servers path is un congested where the 2nd server's path is taking one with some congestion.

if your playing the same game on each server the packets should look the same to the tmr kit apart from source ip, so i would say congestion on the path to second server

when your getting this lag in game stop and run some diagnostics to the 2 servers ip's.

Efour
09-07-2011, 11:13
When Virgin Media took over from All the previous cable companies they have inherited a lot of old kit. Just because its good on 50mbit in 1 area has almost no relationship to how it will perform in another area.

Most of the crap ping/packetloss issues are on the upstream channels. These just dont seem to be able to cope with the last batch of upload upgrades, again.

ITs been over a month now sisnce my issues first began, ive had a tech visit (for no reason) 2 new superhubs (for no reason) and just last week a guy on the official forums said oh yeah we have found a problem ill tell somone elese.... thats all he said... No dates no fault numbers - 6 days later and no more has been heard.

I phoned them to see what was hap[pening with the raised issue and the indian guy was so useless it wasnt even worth trying to explain, he started telling me to reboot the modem etc etc.. i just laughed.

Im sure they will fix it eventually but their lack of personal service has been the worst ive ever known. You have to really, really persue issues like a lunatic to get anywhere with some.