PDA

View Full Version : Ps3 powers off after 5 seconds?

dragon
04-07-2011, 21:51
I've just had someone ask me what would cause a PS3 to poweroff after 5 seconds or so of being turned on.

Basically it's a fat 60gb ps3 and I'm told it turns on then goes straight back to standby.

Suggested they try resetting it but doubt somehow that will fix it.

Another thought I had was perhaps the HDD has died, does anyone know how the ps3 behaves if that is the case.

Kind of hoping it is the hard-drive as those can easily be replaced.

cimt
04-07-2011, 22:05
It could be the YLOD, basically the PS3 version of the RROD. Is there a yellow light instead of a green one when he turns it on?

Tezcatlipoca
04-07-2011, 22:18
It does sound like the YLOD to me... :(

jb66
05-07-2011, 00:09
I had this took it back for refund, mine beeped 3 times and went off

dragon
05-07-2011, 01:12
It could be the YLOD, basically the PS3 version of the RROD. Is there a yellow light instead of a green one when he turns it on?

I think the easiest thing to do is probably ask them to bring the PS3 round next time they visit and I'll check.

Will allow me to pull the HDD and check that isn't the cause of the problem.

adzii_nufc
05-07-2011, 02:01
When the console switches itself off do you get a red blinking light?

If you don't try rebuilding the os:

How to Access Playstation Recovery Menu
1. Turn off Playstation®3.
2. Hold The power button down; The system will turn on and turn off once again.
3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
5. You will be promted to plug in your controller via usb and then hit the PS button
6. The Recovery menu will pop up.

Pick 'Rebuild database' It will restore the OS. You may lose playlists/messages with this option.

If that fails try 'Restore file system' It will try to recover bad sections of your HDD.

pabscars
05-07-2011, 09:09
I've just had someone ask me what would cause a PS3 to poweroff after 5 seconds or so of being turned on.

Basically it's a fat 60gb ps3 and I'm told it turns on then goes straight back to standby.

Suggested they try resetting it but doubt somehow that will fix it.

Another thought I had was perhaps the HDD has died, does anyone know how the ps3 behaves if that is the case.

Kind of hoping it is the hard-drive as those can easily be replaced.

I have to agree it does sound like the YLOD to me too, (not that you actually see much yellow) does the console beep when you switch it on initially, then after a few seconds you get another 2 beeps in close succetion then it shut's down.

The old 60Gig ps3's respond very well to a little correctly applied heat ;)

marvello
19-07-2011, 02:48
Thats what we call a 3spd (3 sec power down) at the very least it will require a replacement Cell Engine (BE BGA) at some point.

I fix these buggers for a living, the heating method mentioned may work, but usually only temporary. You really need to get some liquid flux under the BGA before attempting as dry heat causes the solder to degrade.

The actual cause is overheating, the board heats up to much, the board expands and puts pressure on the solder joints, which due to the lack of lead content tend to be brittle.