PDA

View Full Version : 50M Intermittent connection / signal strength

lexy1968
04-07-2011, 17:36
Good afternoon,

For the past few weeks, I have been experiencing loss of internet access on my 50MB Virgin cable internet service.

The call centre (in India?) has been unable to help me, but a Virgin representative on their forums suggests that the power to my modem is too strong. If this is the case, can I just purchase an attenuator, and fit it myself, and if so, which one do I need?

Mick Fisher
04-07-2011, 18:18
You need an engineer to investigate your BB problems.

It's easier to pull your own teeth out than to get India or the so called Help&Support forum to book one for you.

So call "thinking of leaving" , tell them you have explored all other avenues without success so can they help.

Chances are you will be passed to a UK based 2nd line support agent who will either fix your issue or book an engineer to investigate it further.

qasdfdsaq
04-07-2011, 23:32
Downstream power is perfectly fine but upstream is a little on the high side. You'd best get an engineer out as an attenuator won't help you.

lexy1968
09-07-2011, 12:31
So, the engineer has been, said the power was too high, but it's now even higher at 54.5! I'm confused!!

Mick Fisher
09-07-2011, 13:25
So get another visit, maybe you will be lucky and get someone who has the experience, knowledge and will to fully investigate and fix the problem.

ferretuk
10-07-2011, 12:35
So, the engineer has been, said the power was too high, but it's now even higher at 54.5! I'm confused!!

Have a look at the sticky post about signal levels here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/26006-cable-modem-signal-levels.html)

In a nutshell, the upstream power value is how loud your modem needs to shout to be heard at the other end so the larger the value the more power is needed for reliable communication i.e. in your case, an attenuator is the last thing you need!

jb66
10-07-2011, 14:46
A high downstream isn't a big issue but a high upstream is, you need another visit and a plan to get it lower be it moving you up a tap, removing a splitter or having an hdu fitted