PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Superhub to DIR-655 help?

virgopunk
04-07-2011, 12:02
Hi,
could anyone help me locate a clear and concise guide for using a DIR-655 as the wireless router attached to the Superhub? I recall reading one before but I've tried searching here and on the Virgin Community Forum but can't find the damned thing now.

Does anyone know if it might be as simple as automatically setting up the router with the included set cd? Or will it involve a bit of tinkering?

Any help or advice would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks.

kwikbreaks
04-07-2011, 15:07
One thing you'll need to do on either the hub or the dir655 is alter the IP range as they both use 192.168.0 I'd suggest you turn off the guest network on the hub and then set its IP range to something like 192.168.20

Once that's done connect a hub lan port to the 655 wan port and power both up.
Check what IP the hub has assigned to the 655 (it's in the gui somewhere but I forget where) reserve that IP and put it in the hub DMZ. Turn off the hub WiFi - that seems to be what causes a lot of its instability.

Once that's done you probably can use the 655 setup CD.

I bought a 655 to go with the vmng300 I managed to get hold of. The wireless is miles better than the hub but I wasn't impressed with the GUI and I have had an occasion where I had to reboot it to get my phone to connect. I also confused it to the point of needing to reset it to defaults while trying to set up a scheduled email of its log using gmail (it doesn't seem to support SSL). The Superhub doesn't have a monopoly on bugs - I maybe should have got the Buffalo that supports DD-WRT but some reviews I saw put me off it.

AndyCalling
04-07-2011, 15:23
I would not do the above unless absolutely necessary. Most people will just want to set up a wireless access point and this is way over complicating the matter. You should just follow the standard method for setting up any wireless access point to achieve such.

kwikbreaks
04-07-2011, 15:33
You should just follow the standard method for setting up any wireless access point to achieve such.As the OP is asking for instructions perhaps you'd like to spell out how to do that or him bearing in mind both use the same default IP range.

AndyCalling
04-07-2011, 18:50
It is detailed in my previous posts, as I worked it out with help from this forum. It is too much to type out on my mobile phone right now. One point though, using the wireless access point approach one does not have to run with multiple ip ranges. The reverse is true, ensuring that all equipment is using the same ip range and subnet is the thing.

Just search for my previous posts and all will become clear.

kwikbreaks
05-07-2011, 06:20
From those comments I assume you mean just connecting LAN to LAN and leaving the Superhub as the router. Nobody with any sense spends £60+ on a router and continues to use the Superhub's abysmal routing capability = if you are going to do that then there are plenty of low-end wireless routers around.

virgopunk
05-07-2011, 10:23
Thanks for the swift replies (can't say I'm 100% clearer but it seems relatively straitforward....he said shortly before melting his router ;o)

kwikbreaks
05-07-2011, 11:41
Doing it either way should be easy but neither the hub nor the DIR655 GUIs are overly straightforward IMO. I never tried the 655 CD but I'm guessing it involves less mini-restarts than you get when changing things in the GUI.