PDA

View Full Version : Prehistoric Scientific Atlanta CM dead, what to receive?

theoldbill
02-07-2011, 09:15
Hi guys, do any of you have any experience of this recently... a friend of mine who has a really early S/Atlanta CM that is on the verge of death is considering stumping up the £30 to upgrade to a Super Hub on 30meg.

Now, not believing customers should pay for hardware they actually never own, I was wondering what VM would send him if he just called them up for a new cable modem.

There are no VMNG300s so far as we know, so what would be the device supplied?

:cool:

Nopanic
02-07-2011, 10:22
Probably an Ambit 256 ..

When you say on the verge of death, whats actually wrong with it ?

theoldbill
02-07-2011, 10:28
Probably an Ambit 256 ..

When you say on the verge of death, whats actually wrong with it ?

Has lost it's LEDs and is running v. hot (to me anyway).

It's just a poor show that a long standing customer who has had a decent wear from original equipment isn't worth the courtesy of being supplied up to date equipment that would atleast be future proof for the higher tiers, without being asked to cough up a 'subsidy'.

Nopanic
02-07-2011, 10:48
Has lost it's LEDs and is running v. hot (to me anyway).

It's just a poor show that a long standing customer who has had a decent wear from original equipment isn't worth the courtesy of being supplied up to date equipment that would atleast be future proof for the higher tiers, without being asked to cough up a 'subsidy'.

I've been using Shell fuel now for a number of years, always buy the good stuff too .. I might ask shell for something for free ?:D

You pay to use a service, you pay to rent the equipment, VM are a business, but saying that. Has your friend tried phoning up and asking for one ? or are you just insulting VM off the back of an assumption ?

theoldbill
02-07-2011, 11:02
but with Shell, you actually own the fuel you're paying for. You pay £30 for the 'Super' Hub and don't actually end up owning it. The difference there.

Yes he's tried asking but it's no else I wouldn't be here asking, but it's no bother.

Nopanic
02-07-2011, 11:06
but with Shell, you actually own the fuel you're paying for. You pay £30 for the 'Super' Hub and don't actually end up owning it. The difference there.

Yes he's tried asking but it's no else I wouldn't be here asking, but it's no bother.

Ownership holds no relevance, its about service. You join VM following the T&C's you never agreed to own anything .. rental gives you protection from repair costs and the fact that VM equipment is useless outside the VM network, so whats the point in paying out to own it ?

Hang on you just posted asking:

I was wondering what VM would send him if he just called them up for a new cable modem.

Which suggests to me he hasn't called up.

Deals are there to be had .. get him to call up ..

theoldbill
02-07-2011, 11:14
The reason for the original question is they said they could only order a cable modem on 'their screen' but then said there may not be any? - so would be unsure what would be supplied.

Trust me he called them, call duration ~40 minutes.

---------- Post added at 11:14 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

The case put to them was this - existing hardware of 6yrs+ nearing end of it's life (possibly a hazard), so new hardware is needed naturally to replace it, why not supply a Super Hub as the replacement product to cover another 5+ years of use. That was the simple question.

Dave9946
02-07-2011, 12:19
But if he upgraded his internet speed he'd get the superhub for free anyway would'nt he?. As I recall that being the case with us several months ago.

Surely the reason for wanting the superhub would be because it's needed over older equipment for higher speeds, certainly in the op's friends case. So assuming he wants the higher speed why not simply upgrade the speed anyway as they would then have to provide the superhub to be able to use that faster speed.

Nopanic
02-07-2011, 16:15
The reason for the original question is they said they could only order a cable modem on 'their screen' but then said there may not be any? - so would be unsure what would be supplied.

Trust me he called them, call duration ~40 minutes.

---------- Post added at 11:14 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

The case put to them was this - existing hardware of 6yrs+ nearing end of it's life (possibly a hazard), so new hardware is needed naturally to replace it, why not supply a Super Hub as the replacement product to cover another 5+ years of use. That was the simple question.

It would, but VM are charging for the Superhub without an upgrade package .. speak to retentions .. might be able to work something out, but if he's spending very little and not wanting to increase his service, they have little reason to spend the money on new equipment for him, when a none docsis 3 modem works fine.