PDA

View Full Version : 50M Superhub (again)

swiftflo
01-07-2011, 17:51
I have now had the Superhub with 50mb for a week now. It is connected via my Apple extreme base station to my imac.
I had to make a slight adjustment to my AE settings but that is all. I am constantly getting 49+ mb for downloads and have had no problems at all.

My iphone works with the AE wifi as it has alway's done.

After what I had been reading about the Superhub I ordered with some trepedation , however I must say I am delighted with it.:D

denphone
01-07-2011, 17:52
I have now had the Superhub with 50mb for a week now. It is connected via my Apple extreme base station to my imac.
I had to make a slight adjustment to my AE settings but that is all. I am constantly getting 49+ mb for downloads and have had no problems at all.

After what I had been reading about the Superhub I ordered with some trepedation , however I must say I am delighted with it.:D

Yes l upgraded my broadband and so far the Superhub is fine.

Mick Fisher
01-07-2011, 19:36
Glad to hear your superhubs are working satisfactorally. :tu:

I wish mine was. It's been a bad day for it so far having spontaneously rebooted itself 5 times since midday. :shrug:

denphone
01-07-2011, 19:38
Glad to hear your superhubs are working satisfactorally. :tu:

I wish mine was. It's been a bad day for it so far having spontaneously rebooted itself 5 times since midday. :shrug:

Sorry to hear that and l hope it sorts itself out for you.

kenoliver
01-07-2011, 20:31

Pleased to read that, :)

My superhub is on the way to me, I use an Apple Time Capsule and am not looking forward to trying to set it up with the Hub

I've been reading horror stories all day about the Hubs poor wireless coverage, and unreliable wireless performance, rang to cancel but its on the way, :erm:

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:28 ----------

Yes l upgraded my broadband and so far the Superhub is fine.

Any thoughts on the Hubs wireless performance?

All seem to agree that the HUB is very good using a wired connection but not so good on wireless any thoughts?

Stephen
01-07-2011, 20:31

My superhub is on the way to me, I use an Apple Time Capsule and am not looking forward to trying to set it up with the Hub

I've been reading horror stories all day about the Hubs poor wireless coverage, and unreliable wireless performance, rang to cancel but its on the way, :erm:

Not everyone has those wireless issues, my wireless works perfectly and with good range. Hopefully your superhub will also work great.

Skie
01-07-2011, 20:38
All seem to agree that the HUB is very good using a wired connection but not so good on wireless any thoughts?

I used it mainly wired and didn't have much luck with it. Large file transfers made it crash and occasionally it would simply not respond on one interface (usually the lan, wireless would keep working. Though it did do it the other way around a few times).

jb66
01-07-2011, 20:41
Nice to hear your Apple extreme base station is working well

kenoliver
01-07-2011, 20:43
Not everyone has those wireless issues, my wireless works perfectly and with good range. Hopefully your superhub will also work great.

Thanks hope so to :erm:

denphone
01-07-2011, 20:48

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:28 ----------

Any thoughts on the Hubs wireless performance?

At the moment it seems fine Ken.

kenoliver
02-07-2011, 19:29

Had my Superhub delivered today, thought I would set it up and take my Time Capsule out of my network until the bridge mode is patched down to the HUB

But although I was getting 31 meg with a wired connection to my Mac, I was only achieving 3 meg wirelessly not good :(

So following the Guide Here (http://www.remedialthoughts.com/2011/02/how-to-virgin-media-super-hub-apple.html)

I put my TC back in the network took about 10 minutes, I kept the wired connection to my Mac it still shows 31 meg, and now all my Wireless connection show 31 meg also, showing what a poor performance the Hub gives wirelessly

using the guide above all the ports on both the Hub and TC become available so you have 8 ports to play with

I just could not have put up with the wireless performance of the Hub it was truly awful, using the HUB as a modem and my TC as my wireless device my wireless speeds are 90% faster

So I have achieved my 30 meg upgrade although it had to be a work around

kenoliver
03-07-2011, 00:02
At the moment it seems fine Ken.

Is there any way of dimming the blue lights on the SuperHub?

kwikbreaks
03-07-2011, 09:30
Is there any way of dimming the blue lights on the SuperHub?
Gaffer tape (multiple layers).

kenoliver
03-07-2011, 09:50
Gaffer tape (multiple layers).

Yes figured that out last night :)

Stuck some black electricians tape over the flashing network light :erm:

In the dark my office looked like it had a blue panda car light flashing inside it

Now I know why the power consumption on this hub is so high :shocked:

Thanks

KenK
03-07-2011, 22:57
I finally saw a 'superhub' today. It's not exactly small, is it? Given that is has an external power supply, I expected something about half the size.

It seemed as if it can only be used vertically, and the cables come out the side, not the back? Note to designers everywhere: do not assume that what suits your furniture arrangement will be good for all users of the kit.

Stephen
03-07-2011, 23:15
Its a router and modem together so it was never going to be small.

No that is the back that the cables come out from.

KenK
03-07-2011, 23:25
Its a router and modem together so it was never going to be small.

No that is the back that the cables come out from.
It's only a router and modem together. Compare it to the size and capability of any modern smartphone, and then explain why it's so big. Remember, the phone has a battery in it as well as a camera, a touch screen, a Wifi adapter, a mobile network connection and antenna, storage ...

So if I got this right, the cables come out the back, and the LEDs to show whether it's working or not are on the side? And are we agreed that it can only be used vertically?

qasdfdsaq
03-07-2011, 23:50
Yup.

Everyone else's router-modems are half the size by the way. In fact I could duct tape a router and a modem together in less than half the space that thing takes :P

kwikbreaks
03-07-2011, 23:50
Its a router and modem together so it was never going to be small.Volume wise it must be double the average ADSL router/modem size. The non-conventional placement of the ethernet connectors means it takes up a lot of room. That and the over bright lights led to me keeping it behind the settee. The need for frequent reboots led to me having it on a remote controlled socket too.

I can't think of anything VM actually got right with its design.

Skie
03-07-2011, 23:53
Its basically bog standard router, stood on its end with a inordinate amount of superfluous plastic stuck around it. The CM part of it is hardly big, infact the router and modem side share the same CPU.

But getting hardware into a smaller box is more costly, and as we know the superhub wasn't exactly specced up to be anything other than cheap.

Stephen
04-07-2011, 01:27
It's only a router and modem together. Compare it to the size and capability of any modern smartphone, and then explain why it's so big. Remember, the phone has a battery in it as well as a camera, a touch screen, a Wifi adapter, a mobile network connection and antenna, storage ...

So if I got this right, the cables come out the back, and the LEDs to show whether it's working or not are on the side? And are we agreed that it can only be used vertically?

Mobile phones are designed to be small as they are carried round in your pocket, a modem/router is designed to sit in the home and never be moved so no need to spend money making it more compact.

Yes as it has a stand built in its designed to be used vertically only. Probably something to do with the wifi aerial orientation as well.

KenK
04-07-2011, 22:49
Mobile phones are designed to be small as they are carried round in your pocket, a modem/router is designed to sit in the home and never be moved so no need to spend money making it more compact.

Yes as it has a stand built in its designed to be used vertically only. Probably something to do with the wifi aerial orientation as well.That's just a poor excuse for cheap or lazy design. You mean someone deliberately chose to make it so big? What made them think customers want something so obtrusive in their homes?:confused:

It's a modem/router, not a piece of furniture or an ornament. Next time, they should spend the extra 50p per unit, and employ someone who can make it as un-remarkable as possible. They'll probably save that much on the bill for unnecessary plastic casings.