PDA

View Full Version : Weird disconnects

Amadeus
27-06-2011, 20:51
Long time non poster having a problem.

Using Bromley exchange, last night all evening connected died with yellow exclamation mark in taskbar - rebooted modem and PC, then it works for 20 seconds browsing then connection dies again...repeat....repeat....

So today I dug out a modem VM sent me (smaller black box, Virgin media '256'), plugged this in, phoned up VM who activated it, then same thing happened.

Guy said it was probably my Lan adapter on the PC 'going funny - go to PC shop and say you want a Lan adapter)...lol.

However, seems pretty stable now - using a hard line straight into the PC, so will now try and set up my old wireless on the Linksys.....

Any ideas as to the disconnects and what the 256 modem gives me over the older larger silver model (about 5 years old!)

thanks!

Neo-Tech
28-06-2011, 00:18
Faster upload speeds once it's live in your area. ;)

qasdfdsaq
28-06-2011, 00:51
Nope. Old modem does that fine.

AndyCalling
28-06-2011, 02:49
The 256 is a good box. You may as well use it. I'm not sure, but I get the impression that it's the wireless connection you are having trouble with? If so, perhaps changing channel would help.

It could well be your wireless lan card going bad, or the wireless in the router. These small transmitters can cook themselves eventually.

If it's your hard ethernet port going funny, they can die like anything else can. Lan cards are cheap.