PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the 200Mbs trial?

BomberAF
27-06-2011, 11:25
I recall VM performing a 200Mbps trial, but does anyone know whether their are plans afoot to introduce this service.

Are there even routers that offer 400Mbs bandwidth, as this would be needed in order for you to download at this speed.

Graham M
27-06-2011, 11:28
Well for a start, most servers are on a 100MBit burst line at most, so you'd struggle to be able to download anything at this Bandwidth apart from POSSIBLY on P2P anyway

denphone
27-06-2011, 11:34
I recall VM performing a 200Mbps trial, but does anyone know whether their are plans afoot to introduce this service.

Are there even routers that offer 400Mbs bandwidth, as this would be needed in order for you to download at this speed.

This the latest on trials.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4690-virgin-media-pass-4-million-homes-with-100meg-broadband.html

qasdfdsaq
27-06-2011, 16:56
Well for a start, most servers are on a 100MBit burst line at most, so you'd struggle to be able to download anything at this Bandwidth apart from POSSIBLY on P2P anyway
And correspondingly, ISPs are beginning to market higher products as geared towards multi-user homes rather than a single task consuming all the speed, which is becoming increasingly hard.

That said, plenty of servers are on gigabit lines these days, though not all. Many of the major CDNs run 1-gig or 10-gig now.

---------- Post added at 16:55 ---------- Previous post was at 16:54 ----------

This the latest on trials.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4690-virgin-media-pass-4-million-homes-with-100meg-broadband.html
The latest? That says nothing that the OP hasn't already said.

---------- Post added at 16:56 ---------- Previous post was at 16:55 ----------

The Superhub is "capable of up to 400mb" already and the 8DS bonding configuration it uses is rumoured to be what VM are planning to use for the 400mb service.

TJS
27-06-2011, 17:35
And correspondingly, ISPs are beginning to market higher products as geared towards multi-user homes rather than a single task consuming all the speed, which is becoming increasingly hard.

That said, plenty of servers are on gigabit lines these days, though not all. Many of the major CDNs run 1-gig or 10-gig now.

---------- Post added at 16:55 ---------- Previous post was at 16:54 ----------

The latest? That says nothing that the OP hasn't already said.

---------- Post added at 16:56 ---------- Previous post was at 16:55 ----------

The Superhub is "capable of up to 400mb" already and the 8DS bonding configuration it uses is rumoured to be what VM are planning to use for the 400mb service.

Unless they can make the wifi faster with a firmware patch i don't see how they could? because the fastest setting at the moment is 300 mb/s

DigitalShadow
27-06-2011, 19:03
LOL...

fastest real world is about 150mbit on a 300mbit wireless link.

Many routers are capable of 400mbit.

roughbeast
27-06-2011, 21:04
Right near the end of the Coventry trial I was given a modem with 8 bonded channels down and 2 up. It was regarded as a proof of concept trial rather than 400Mb. I achieved an average of 360Mb down and a consistent 24Mb up. This was consistent with the maximum settings of the modem. This and the 200Mb trial were, of course, on a trial circuit and using a 1Gb pipe. The 10Gb pipe VM had in reserve, in case the trialists overcooked it, was not needed.

The techie in charge, who is now conducting the 1.5Gb trials, said that the 200Mb and 'proof of concept trial' opened the way for commercial speeds of 200Mb and 400Mb. How this is to be done with all the issues frequently discussed here, I do not know. He gave no timetable partly because he didn't have one.

One thing is for sure, I had to upgraded my processor to a quad core to hit those speeds consistently in tests! (I was upgrading anyway.) My router, a WNDR3700, was more than capable.

Here's a typical result:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 371133 kbps (46391.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 24064 kbps (3008 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 5 ms
05 February 2011 21:10:08

Virgin Media Proof of Concept Trials (If you're not a registered trialist you'll just get an error message!)

This is the best I could get from speedtest.net

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/06/13.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

linwelin
27-06-2011, 22:56
what is the point of these speed upgrades when you get punished for actually using it ? i would much rather VM sort there network out first so people get the speeds they paid for, in my opinion VM is doing everything backwards.

qasdfdsaq
27-06-2011, 23:38
You don't get punished for using it, you get disconnected if you use "excessive" amounts during peak time and do not stop when asked.

There are no STM download limits on 50mb or 100mb right now, there's no reason to assume there will be on 200 or 400 either.

linwelin
28-06-2011, 00:55
You don't get punished for using it, you get disconnected if you use "excessive" amounts during peak time and do not stop when asked.

There are no STM download limits on 50mb or 100mb right now, there's no reason to assume there will be on 200 or 400 either.

that's the biggest load of crap, i switched all my heavy usage to off peak and its still not good enough for VM, the only thing i use my internet for in peak times is YouTube, gaming, browsing and that still is not good enough for VM.

There is no download limits yes but there is FUP but the problem is no one knows what the limit on FUP is ? i know a few people who hammer there connection and have not received a single detrimental use letter, yet i have received 3 and i am on my final one, after complying with there demands i might add. I don't want to leave VM because i have been with them since they was one: tell quite allot of years now.

But as long as VM get there money who cares right ? they shaft us users and you all bend over and take it lol they blame the problems on users, but it is VM over selling there product that is the problem, but hey you guys seem to like it so what ever :)

qasdfdsaq
28-06-2011, 01:42
I'd like to see some usage charts before you claim you've "complied"

linwelin
28-06-2011, 13:52
June: http://tbbmeter.thinkbroadband.com/graphs/2011/06/28/376387890.png

that's my chart for this month so far, not allot of usage is it ?

May: http://tbbmeter.thinkbroadband.com/graphs/2011/06/28/954402870.png

BomberAF
28-06-2011, 13:59
Don't see what practical purpose 200Mbs BB is unless you have a load of people hammering the connection, never mind 400Mbs.

There is a move to internet enabled TV which allow you to stream IPlayer etc, directly to the TV, so I suppose TV on demand from these would need 200Mbs+ in order to recieve HD and 3D films.

I would imagine in about 10 years time when these TV sets are more common then it will be common place for us to have 200Mb broadband and the price will also probably be about the same as the 50Mbs is now,.

TJS
28-06-2011, 15:13
Could be a ridiculous suggestion; but why don't they just do an unmetered broadband if the cables can handle 1.5 GB/s if all connections were unmetered then there should be shorter congestion times (as long as P2P is monitored in some way) because any downloads should be able to finish super fast so it would only be bursts of traffic?

qasdfdsaq
28-06-2011, 20:12
June: http://tbbmeter.thinkbroadband.com/graphs/2011/06/28/376387890.png

that's my chart for this month so far, not allot of usage is it ?

May: http://tbbmeter.thinkbroadband.com/graphs/2011/06/28/954402870.png
That's a single computer's reading. It doesn't measure how much you've sent or received over your internet connection in total. Unless you only have one computer and it's directly connected to the modem, it's not accurate.

---------- Post added at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

Could be a ridiculous suggestion; but why don't they just do an unmetered broadband if the cables can handle 1.5 GB/s if all connections were unmetered then there should be shorter congestion times (as long as P2P is monitored in some way) because any downloads should be able to finish super fast so it would only be bursts of traffic?
The cables may be able to handle 1.5GB/s but that's shared between hundreds to thousands of users. If one person got full access to all capacity on the cable they'd rape the service for everyone else.