PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Setting up NETGEAR WGR614v9?

bilabonic
17-06-2011, 19:18
Hi

Just purchased one of these for a mate (also on virgin) and it's a pain in the arse.

Managed to reset it by pulling power and holding reset and reapplying power.

The wireless is now working with excellent signal BUT no connection to net.

Then went into router settings via ip addy 192.168.1.1 tried the default puser password as written on the stupid thing but not accepting it ??

Then found it was ADMIN (not virgin) and PASSWORD !!!

Then go into its wizard start-up and my pc it set to auto detect ip address etc.

So i leave the router auto detect my provider settings and it states i have a static ip and need a load of details ????

My Linksys just does it all no problem.

Anyone help me out here.

Cheers

pgnl
18-06-2011, 09:38
I had one of these for years (ver1 I believe) and never had a minutes problem with it.

Since the modem allocates an IP address to the router via DHCP, it is important that you switch off the modem and router, then restart the modem wait a couple of minutes for it to reach a steady state, then start the router.

The router should automatically detect the type of WLAN connection from the modem, allocate an IP address automatically and off you go...

It could be faulty though, I suppose..

patrick

bilabonic
18-06-2011, 09:53
I had one of these for years (ver1 I believe) and never had a minutes problem with it.

Since the modem allocates an IP address to the router via DHCP, it is important that you switch off the modem and router, then restart the modem wait a couple of minutes for it to reach a steady state, then start the router.

The router should automatically detect the type of WLAN connection from the modem, allocate an IP address automatically and off you go...

It could be faulty though, I suppose..

patrick

Why do i need to restart them both mate ?

I take it i still need to access the router via ip addy to set up ??

Cheers

pgnl
18-06-2011, 10:18
If you've reset the router to default, there should be no need to access the configuration page 192.168.0.1 (or whatever it is these days), the router should just detect the modem and type of connection automatically.

It is important you do restart them in that order and allow the modem to get a steady state (around two minutes) first, before starting the router up, for the reason in my original post.

The router can only detect the modems connection if the modem has been rebooted.

I've been using cable modems for 10 years and over that time at least five different routers and never had a problem... So it should just work.. Honestly!

Patrick

---------- Post added at 10:18 ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 ----------

This might help

See page 7-4 of the manual here (http://kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/wgr614v6_ref_man_20Apr05.pdf)

Patrick

bilabonic
18-06-2011, 10:50
Just done what you said a few times and no luck. I connects via wifi but not to net ?

So i done hard reset on router and connected to router via 192.168.1.1 put in user/password and went into

SET-UP WIZARD

Selected auto detect internet connection, it then stated -

DYNAMIC IP (DHCP) DETECTED - i then selelected >next

It then showed -

DYNAMIC IP ADDRESS -
Account name (if required) - WGR614
Domain Name (if required) - 'blank'

I then selected > APPLY

I then get an updating progress bar for few mins, after it has finished i then get -

This web page is not available.
The web page at http://192.168.1.1/BAS_basic.htm might be tempo down or moved new address.
ERROR 103(net:::ERR-CONNECTION_ABORTED)unknown error.

Weird thing is if i click refresh on my browser after above it searches net for F/W upgrade and bar searches and then states-

No New f/w version available.

pgnl
18-06-2011, 11:20
Every Netgear Wireless router (in fact every cable router) I've tried works out the box.

Double check your connections, have you got the VM Cable modem connected to the WAN port (ie not one of the four ethernet ports)?

Just a thought...

Patrick

zekeisaszekedoes
18-06-2011, 18:54
I have a couple of these and they're neat little routers. Very good for the price. Firmware is tiny and very well coded. After a 30/30/30 reset they should be plug and play, more or less. Just set the wireless network to WPA2-AES with a secure password and you're good to go.

bilabonic
18-06-2011, 19:03
I finally had it to read my ip settings and it filled in ll the box's BUT still will not connect...

I also tried changing the mac address as the default one is not the same as one on router ?

The router ends with an A but the address it assigns is a B ????

wazz
18-06-2011, 19:12
Y not set up the Internet using the virgin wireless set up cd

ppl who got a modem and router shud hav got a virgin wireless cd

Peter_
18-06-2011, 22:18
Y not set up the Internet using the virgin wireless set up cd

ppl who got a modem and router shud hav got a virgin wireless cd
Because he has a standard WGR614 and not one supplied by Virginmedia.;)

wazz
18-06-2011, 22:24
Because he has a standard WGR614 and not one supplied by Virginmedia.;)

am pretty sure they are the same routers

whats the diff between the virgin netgear router and the standard netgear router

Peter_
18-06-2011, 22:28
am pretty sure they are the same routers

whats the diff between the virgin netgear router and the standard netgear router
The Virginmedia WGR614 has embedded Virginmedia firmware and a different username and password, so quite different devices they are only the same externally.

pgnl
19-06-2011, 09:43
If it were me I had would have to try it on a different PC, to rule out the PC being at fault, it's pretty tricky to diagnose this stuff at a distance. It could be something obvious, the router itself could be faulty, it could even be a virus or malware. As you can't even access the config page I would first start with the checking the PC is set to allocate an IP address via DHCP? If the router has been reset it will try to allocate one by default.

How to check varies by version of windows, in XP it's Network connections, right click on local areas connection, then right click properties, in the list box click 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' and click properties and it should say 'Obtain address automatically', if not select it and retry.

Worth a try anyway

Patrick

zekeisaszekedoes
19-06-2011, 16:11
The Virginmedia WGR614 has embedded Virginmedia firmware and a different username and password, so quite different devices they are only the same externally.

Not really. One of the ones I have is from VM and apart from VM logo branding on the web GUI setup page and slightly different default user/pass they're practically identical IIRC.

Peter_
19-06-2011, 18:20
Not really. One of the ones I have is from VM and apart from VM logo branding on the web GUI setup page and slightly different default user/pass they're practically identical IIRC.
Again you have shown how little that most people know about the equipment supplied by Virginmedia.

The Netgear WGR614v6 and v9 supplied by Virginmedia have embedded firmware and require users to use a the default login username of virgin and the passphrase preinstall.

Also this router does something that no standard WGR614 router does, if you have pinhole reset and connect it to a computer and attempt to go online you are presented with a red Virginmedia router setup screen which asks you to input the SSID you want to use and the passphrase with a save button at the bottom of the page.

You are also presented with the above screen if you pinhole reset the router and look for a network called Virginbroadband where you use the username of virgin and the password preinstall and when you go online you get the screen mentioned above.

Now if you use the setup cd this installs more Virginmedia software on your machine which includes our own Virginmedia wireless manager which needs to be removed before replacing the Virginmedia WGR614 a different router as it can cause issues.

The cd software though if installed on your machine does have uses such as if you pinhole reset the router and cannot find the cd you just exit the wireless manager and go to all programs and look for Virgin broadband wireless manager Easy Setup which is the cd preinstalled on your machine and run through setup.

Now does anyone still think the is no difference between a standard WGR614 and the one supplied by Virginmedia, I thought not.

I personally will always setup our WGR614 with a customer without using the cd, you can use either method laid out above or set it up using the standard ip address of 192.168.0.1 but it still requires the Virginmedia username and password above which will get you to the standard Netgear setup pages.

qasdfdsaq
20-06-2011, 03:06
And yet you claim the new version of the Superhub, despite being made by a different manufacturer and having different hardware, firmware, and functionality, is "identical" to the original... Just shows how little you know about routers.

Peter_
20-06-2011, 05:41
And yet you claim the new version of the Superhub, despite being made by a different manufacturer and having different hardware, firmware, and functionality, is "identical" to the original... Just shows how little you know about routers.
Well again that shows how little you actually read other peoples posts but that is pretty normal for you.:rolleyes:

The 2nd Superhub will look identical and perform in the same way but will be built by a different manufacturer obviously with a different chipset with an identical interface to the present Superhub but the will be no option to get one over the other.

This is no different to us supplying the Ambit 256 and EPC2100 alongside each other as in the past, 2 modems giving virtually identical levels of service.

So next time rather than posting inane rubbish do read about the subject first as that will prevent you spouting rubbish once again, Oh and this time try not to spit out the proverbial dummy like you did last time.:rolleyes:

Maggy
20-06-2011, 09:27
Let's keep this civil people..there is always the ignore function if you really don't like someone's comments.

AndyCalling
20-06-2011, 20:03
Actually, the VM 614v9 is identical to the standard Netgear version in hardware terms, only the firmware is different. Perhaps you chaps are getting crossed wires and misunderstanding each other.

It is possible to swap the old and creaky VM firmware for the standard Netgear firmware at no more risk than you get when flashing your motherboard firmware, actually less risk really. Note that VM won't offer phone support for it if you do this.

I still use mine like this with my Superhub to get dual band wireless.

Search for my old posts to find out how. It is not hard, the risks are minor and far less than you take when crossing the road. Some here would have you believe you will be struck down by lightening if you do this, but fortunately God favours the brave and the foolish in equal measure.

Peter_
20-06-2011, 21:18
Actually, the VM 614v9 is identical to the standard Netgear version in hardware terms, only the firmware is different. Perhaps you chaps are getting crossed wires and misunderstanding each other.

I have misunderstood nothing as I know that the Virginmedia WGR614 router has embedded firmware that is Virginmedia branded and will automatically try to set up the router if you allow it even without the disk.

I also know the is a distinct probability that you will brick the router if you attempt to flash it as even your way is not 100% guaranteed to work.

AndyCalling
20-06-2011, 21:45
I also know the is a distinct probability that you will brick the router if you attempt to flash it as even your way is not 100% guaranteed to work.

Nothing is 100% guaranteed, ever, except the enevitability of eventual death. This is true of routers as it is of us. The trick is to make the most of the time we have. This is a perfectly valid philisophical position and is, in fact, the one I am taking.

I do disagree with the rest of your statement here quite a lot though. 'Distinct probability' is, in my opinion, highly inaccurate. I think you will find that the probability of a flash procedure failing irrevocably is statistically rather small, I know of few people who have actually experienced it (actually, I can't think of even one). I suggest that the phrase 'very slight possibility' might be more appropriate.

Remember, the router's power supply unit might fail as well, as any component can. I personally have had far more PSUs go bang than I have had flash chips do so. Of course if you never plug it in this will avoid such nasty possibilities, but will restrict operating efficiency quite a bit. You can wrap your kit in cotton wool if you want, but you won't get the most out of it that way. If I'd kept my old Sinclair ZX81 in its shop wrapping to this day I could sell it on Ebay for loads, and trying to use that thing certainly risked failure every time I can tell you, but in persevering against the odds I got far more out of it than Ebay would get me I can tell you. Every use of your kit is a calculated risk. This is not one to lose sleep over.

I know you don't agree with me on this one Masque, but I have flashed many and varied firmwares on many devices both old and new and my experience simply does not match yours. I can only imagine that your experience is of a mountain of failed flash attempts. They say some people can't wear electronic watches because their natural energies stop the watches dead every time they try. Perhaps you are like this with flash chips? As the mattress said to Marvin, the paranoid android, I flubber for you. :p:

Either way the main point still stands though, the actual physical hardware of the VM router is exactly the same as the Netgear one all save the text on the sticky label.

zekeisaszekedoes
20-06-2011, 23:10
Again you have shown how little that most people know about the equipment supplied by Virginmedia.

Whether you're right or wrong, there's really no need to be so damn rude is there? Going from your behaviour on here over the last few months it's confusing that you have more stars than almost anyone else as all you seem to do is hotheadedly "mouth off" to people.

It's just home broadband technology. There's no need to start a war every time someone disagrees with you. In fact if you stepped back every now and then you might find people are far less likely to pounce on you every time you derail a thread with your needlessly aggressive approach that sometimes results in you insulting other members.

qasdfdsaq
21-06-2011, 00:27
Well again that shows how little you actually read other peoples posts but that is pretty normal for you.:rolleyes:

The 2nd Superhub will look identical and perform in the same way but will be built by a different manufacturer obviously with a different chipset with an identical interface to the present Superhub but the will be no option to get one over the other.

This is no different to us supplying the Ambit 256 and EPC2100 alongside each other as in the past, 2 modems giving virtually identical levels of service.

So next time rather than posting inane rubbish do read about the subject first as that will prevent you spouting rubbish once again, Oh and this time try not to spit out the proverbial dummy like you did last time.:rolleyes:
Incorrect.

nother version of the Superhub which will look identical and perform in the same way as the existing model by which time modem mode will be on both devices.
Incorrect.

The will be very little difference and both will offer the same performance and identical interface.

Incorrect.

So once again instead of admitting you're wrong, despite a dozen people in multiple threads disagreeing with you, you insult people and change your story. Pretty normal for you.

As per everyone else, flashing your router is not risky, if it were, VM would not routinely roll out firmware updates and flash your router remotely without asking or checking with you. If you do it yourself and mess up, you still have the reset button and recovery mode; and you know when to not reset or unplug it. If VM do it remotely and mess up they don't have any of that, but don't care because it's so unlikely to fail it doesn't matter. That's how low risk it is.

Peter_
21-06-2011, 05:37
You really do not have have clue about Virginmedia equipment and once again you prove it with the above post.

Secondly the second Superhub will look and perform identically to the existing Superhub in this I am correct as oddly I know more about the new Superhub than you will ever know.

Thirdly the Virginmedia Netgear WGR614 router has embedded software specifically installed for VIrginmedia and you have a good chance of bricking the router if you attempt to remove it, also something thing you missed is that you can set it up without the firmware by logging in and using the wizard but you still need to use the Virginmedia username and password in order to do so.

So unless you are actually now employed by Virginmedia and have access to our systems please stop spouting rubbish about products you have once again proved to have no knowledge of, as the silly oneupmanship of trying to prove different even when completely wrong is hilarious to say the least.

Also I have never said anything different about this router but then again you are renowned for trying to put others down especially when they are correct.

Rather than trying to make out that you are brilliant why not join your chums elsewhere and complain bitterly over there.

Peter_
21-06-2011, 07:08
I am just commenting on how it is and not how people imagine it is especially when they are trying to compare Virginmedia equipment to standard Netgear kit as the is a considerable difference in both devices and Netgear will not support the equipment they have supplied us as it is far from standard.

This applies even to the D Link DIR615 as once D link ask you the version they refer you back to us because of the firmware installed in the router.

I have been trained on this equipment and I have read all the intranet articles and therefore I know a lot more about the devices we supply than people who try to comment to the contrary.

That even applies to the new Superhub that is shortly to be released than most people on here, but certain people think they know different and they somehow believe it will look different and they are wrong, it may have a different chipset and manufacturer but it will look identical as will the interface.

Also due to the firmware installed you have a good chance of bricking the Virginmedia Netgear WGR614 router due to it not being standard firmware as per Netgear and many people have bricked them in the past.

_wtf_
21-06-2011, 08:01
Also due to the firmware installed you have a good chance of bricking the Virginmedia Netgear WGR614 router due to it not being standard firmware as per Netgear and many people have bricked them in the past.

Wrong. People brick the router because they've not used the correct firmware or not done it correctly. How can replacing the firmware have anything to do with what firmware is currently on the equipment?

Peter_
21-06-2011, 08:11
Wrong. People brick the router because they've not used the correct firmware or not done it correctly. How can replacing the firmware have anything to do with what firmware is currently on the equipment?
Netgear tried to prevent people changing the firmware as they sold this device to Virginmedia hence you have a good chance of bricking the router due to it not being standard.

The have been many threads about this over the years and many have failed and bricked the router because of the firmware installed.

Now if it had been sold as a standard router you could do this without any issue.

_wtf_
21-06-2011, 08:30
Netgear tried to prevent people changing the firmware as they sold this device to Virginmedia hence you have a good chance of bricking the router due to it not being standard.

It's the good chance bit of your reply that actually implies it's people not doing it right. Wish I had one here to play with :D

What have people tried putting on it?

DD-WRT is a work in progress so it ain't that. Tomato is for the Broadcom chips so it ain't that. OpenWRT is not listed so it ain't that.

So unless they've tried putting the wrong Netgear firmware on it ...

If they wanted to stop people upgrading the firmware why didn't they just leave out the upgrade firmware section in the rebadged HTML pages!

Peter_
21-06-2011, 08:32
It's the good chance bit of your reply that actually implies it's people not doing it right. Wish I had one here to play with :D

What have people tried putting on it?

DD-WRT is a work in progress so it ain't that. Tomato is for the Broadcom chips so it ain't that. OpenWRT is not listed so it ain't that.

So unless they've tried putting the wrong Netgear firmware on it ...

If they wanted to stop people upgrading the firmware why didn't they just leave out the upgrade firmware section in the rebadged HTML pages!
I know what you are saying but even Netgear will not touch this router as they know it is not standard firmware on board.

zekeisaszekedoes
21-06-2011, 11:56
As per everyone else, flashing your router is not risky, if it were, VM would not routinely roll out firmware updates and flash your router remotely without asking or checking with you.

Right on the money. I've reflashed dozens of routers dozens of times and I've only messed up twice, and both times was able to recover and TFTP the original firmware back on before trying again. It's not terribly difficult to do correctly, especially if you're smart and do it via ethernet rather than wirelessly which isn't recommended.

You really do not have have clue about Virginmedia equipment and once again you prove it with the above post.

I've been keeping an eye on qas's posts and I have to say, I've learnt a lot. Him, Seph and a handful of other regular posters know what they're on about.

Secondly the second Superhub will look and perform identically to the existing Superhub in this I am correct as oddly I know more about the new Superhub than you will ever know.

More waffle and warping of the truth, par for the course. How can you be trusted when you're regularly shown to be wrong and resort to giant smileys to try and get your belated points across? Also, how do you know what's different in the new superhub right down to the small details - you're first line support, right? Pretty sure frontline fodder troops don't hear every single order the General gets, so to speak. :D

Thirdly the Virginmedia Netgear WGR614 router has embedded software specifically installed for VIrginmedia and you have a good chance of bricking the router if you attempt to remove it, also something thing you missed is that you can set it up without the firmware by logging in and using the wizard but you still need to use the Virginmedia username and password in order to do so.

Nope, you can TFTP the stock firmware on at boot time if you get the timing just right... there's a tiny window of opportunity to do so. This can help you recover from a bad flash too (bricking a WGR614v9 is something I've done and fixed).

So unless you are actually now employed by Virginmedia and have access to our systems please stop spouting rubbish about products you have once again proved to have no knowledge of, as the silly oneupmanship of trying to prove different even when completely wrong is hilarious to say the least.

You're the one trying to do the oneupmanship game, clearly. You pull the same trick on everyone who shows you up, it's tiresome and predictable. You don't HAVE to be employed by VM to know how their network and CPEs etc work, you just THINK people do because your technical knowledge is far below where you think it is. Refusing to back down is just digging a deeper hole, and the longer you keep going the more people are going to dogpile on you like this, to the point where you'll probably say several things you can't take back and get permanently banned.

Rather than trying to make out that you are brilliant why not join your chums elsewhere and complain bitterly over there.

He could do that, but then more people would take your ignorant, inaccurate advice as gospel.

Hey, I've been wrong when debating with qas before (especially over the DIR-615) but I've also been smart enough to concede and say "you know what, it's good I was wrong because I learnt something". People who go around thinking they're always right even when proved wrong multiple times by several different people learn precisely one thing: how to lose friends and alienate people, not to mention ticking them off. :D

Chris
21-06-2011, 12:02
EVERYBODY please calm down and discuss the TOPIC in a polite and constructive manner.

Maggy
21-06-2011, 13:15
You can please some of the people some of the time.You can please no one some of the time.However you cannot please all of the people all of the time.

I suggest that members seeking help and advice on this site remember that you can either rely on advice second hand or you can go to the original source..

So if in doubt between two diametrically opposed pieces of advice you must ask yourself whom is interested in solving your issue and who is not? :erm:

Peter_
21-06-2011, 13:18
You can please some of the people some of the time.You can please no one some of the time.However you cannot please all of the people all of the time.

I suggest that members seeking help and advice on this site remember that you can either rely on advice second hand or you can go to the original source..

So if in doubt between two diametrically opposed pieces of advice you must ask yourself whom is interested in solving your issue and who is not? :erm:
With regards setting up any Virginmedia supplied router then any advice supplied by a Virginmedia staff member that has been proven to work over the phone thousands of times has to be the advice to use.:)

Kymmy
21-06-2011, 21:49
Can I suggest that if you two don't want to see eye to eye that you use the ignore feature..

I will say this though that staff of a company are not always right and not always experts of their own products.. Either way that argument in this thread is irrelevant.. So either take notice of Chris's moderator comments or leave the thread.

Any more off-topic posts may be deleted and/or infracted