PDA

View Full Version : Parents key to children's drinking.

denphone
17-06-2011, 09:10
Are parents key to children's drinking well l think they are very important in how a child develops and behaves and that is key in the ongoing development of your children.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/parents-key-to-childrens-drinking-2298871.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13779834

Ramrod
17-06-2011, 12:45
Not looked at the actual paper but from how it's author was describing it on R4 this AM it seemed a bit anecdotal, relying on recollections......

haydnwalker
17-06-2011, 14:13
The phrase "durrr" comes to mind :)

Although, it isn't JUST parents, its peer pressure too :)

denphone
17-06-2011, 14:22
The phrase "durrr" comes to mind :)

Although, it isn't JUST parents, its peer pressure too :)

Yes you are right about peer pressure and that pressure is considerable.

Hugh
17-06-2011, 15:46
Depends on their peers (and their parents).

Chris
17-06-2011, 15:53
Researchers in "Children learn from their parents' behaviour" shocker ...

The JRF has taken leave of its senses. I really hope they didn't blow a huge wad of cash on this statement of the bleeding obvious.

denphone
17-06-2011, 16:02
Depends on their peers (and their parents).

Yes and there are quite a few parents who cannot even look after themselves let alone look after and teach their children the right way to do things in life, even though l am in my forties l look up to my parents totally and they did learn me how to act and behave in public.

Scary
17-06-2011, 16:57
its all down to teaching them responsable drinking you all be responsable while i keep on drinking

bw41101
17-06-2011, 17:13
Yes and there are quite a few parents who cannot even look after themselves let alone look after and teach their children the right way to do things in life, even though l am in my forties l look up to my parents totally and they did learn me how to act and behave in public.

Agree totally, I only have to look at some of the inbred halfwits that live within my local council estate to see that. Funnily enough a council flyer came round to mine and my neighbours houses recently asking how they could improve the area.

To my mind, there's only one answer to such a question:

Napalm!

Si thee :Sprint:

denphone
17-06-2011, 17:23
Agree totally, I only have to look at some of the inbred halfwits that live within my local council estate to see that. Funnily enough a council flyer came round to mine and my neighbours houses recently asking how they could improve the area.

Napalm!

You will only improve the area by getting them out but then you have the second problem of wherever they go next will then have the same problem, in my mind its very hard to to educate the uneducated.

Hugh
17-06-2011, 19:20
You will only improve the area by getting them out but then you have the second problem of wherever they go next will then have the same problem, in my mind its very hard to to educate the uneducated.We are all uneducated until we are educated......

denphone
17-06-2011, 19:26
We are all uneducated until we are educated......

You know what l mean professor Hugh.;)

Hugh
17-06-2011, 19:31
You know what l mean professor Hugh.;)I do not have an established or personal chair :D, so I am not a professor.

But thank you for the compliment.

devilincarnate
17-06-2011, 19:36

Napalm!

You will only improve the area by getting them out but then you have the second problem of wherever they go next will then have the same problem, in my mind its very hard to to educate the uneducated.

It seems that the two of you are trying to get at ETHNIC Cleansing :erm:

denphone
17-06-2011, 19:47

NO Devil do not bracket me in the same parish as tyrants like Mladic, Hitler and many others who commmited such crimes as ethnic cleansing and other crimes as well.

martyh
17-06-2011, 20:06

No ,i'm sure BW's post was tongue in cheek and Den's is correct ,moving the drunken louts will only move the problem ,the area they used to be in would be improved but the area they move to would rapidly descend into a playground for drunks .

and yes it is the parents fault

denphone
17-06-2011, 20:20
No ,i'm sure BW's post was tongue in cheek and Den's is correct ,moving the drunken louts will only move the problem ,the area they used to be in would be improved but the area they move to would rapidly descend into a playground for drunks .

Yes we have to have a bit of banter as discussions can get serious sometimes especially by you and Mr A but yes it is the parents fault and maybe the courts and other bodys should bring them to book just as much as their children.

martyh
17-06-2011, 20:35
Yes we have to have a bit of banter as discussions can get serious sometimes especially by you and Mr A but yes it is the parents fault and maybe the courts and other bodys should bring them to book just as much as their children.

I think they do for truancy now which is a start ,as quite a few irresponsible drinkers start while they are supposed to be at school .I am fairly certain that parents can get fined for allowing their offspring to play truant ,how much this is enforced i don't know and is crucial to the debate

denphone
17-06-2011, 20:44
I think they do for truancy now which is a start ,as quite a few irresponsible drinkers start while they are supposed to be at school .I am fairly certain that parents can get fined for allowing their offspring to play truant ,how much this is enforced i don't know and is crucial to the debate

How much they clamp down on truants is anybody's guess and on young drinkers drinking when they are still at school l see some of these around in certain areas of Pkymouth as young as 11 or 12 years old with cans or bottles in their hands and at that age it is nothing short of shocking and a lot of this has to lie with their parents.

Caff
17-06-2011, 23:15
Are parents key to children's drinking well l think they are very important in how a child develops and behaves and that is key in the ongoing development of your children.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/parents-key-to-childrens-drinking-2298871.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13779834

Yup -
but a few of them will suck on empty bottles (I'm talking Primary schools here) and using them as a dummy. And then there's the endless asks for the loo if they over exceed their need for water,and missing parts of lessons.. And they don't always bring just water in their bottles.
Did any of 'us' suffer from not having water always at hand? I used to get home, drink the tap dry and then have my dinner :D
And no one wants a classmate ruin their work with some clumsy oaf that spills water all of their latest masterpiece.

I liked 'milk-bottle time' but then I'm a wee bit older than you :D
It's a fairly old theory that was put into place a long time ago and is understood by all that need to know.

devilincarnate
18-06-2011, 10:24

My comment was meant to be tongue in cheek. But as you say if you move them you only move the problem? I have seen this in Barnsley as the moved all the people from one area, Due to redevelopment and it just moved the problem.

denphone
18-06-2011, 10:28
My comment was meant to be tongue in cheek. But as you say if you move them you only move the problem? I have seen this in Barnsley as the moved all the people from one area, Due to redevelopment and it just moved the problem.

And thats exactly what happened in Plymouth as well.

TJS
25-06-2011, 11:20
Definatly parents fault. neither of my parents drink ( not religious) or smoke; and have been straight to the facts of the damage e.t.c that drinking and smoking can do from when i was young; I have no desire to drink or smoke at all. peer pressure doesn't come into it as it is not hard to say 'No!' to people.