PDA

View Full Version : No broadband or TV, Swindon SN4

mjpartyboy
17-06-2011, 09:07
I got dropped from Xbox Live during a game around 8:30pm yesterday and it wouldn't reconnect, so I checked the router's admin pages and noticed the Virgin allocated IP address was no longer in the router.

I power cycled the modem and only the sync light flashes and the ready light doesn't come on.

The V+ HD box doesn't show anything and upon power cycling it sticks on Ld:20 on the display. The normal box upstairs displays the mini guide, which you can still navigate through, but every channel is black.

All three devices have been like this since last night and no change this morning. This had never happened before.

The phone is fine.

My partner's parents live further along in the same street and are having the same issues. They are also Swindon, SN4.

I contacted the Virgin Media Twitter account after it happened, but haven't had a reply, and I haven't had a reply in their Help & Support Forum either. I can't see any information about an outage of this nature in our area on their support pages and I really need to be able to use broadband after work today, so does anybody know what's going on please?

Maggy
17-06-2011, 09:48
Service status number 0800 561 0061.A free recorded message will notify you of any issues in your post code area.

If no issues phone 151 on VM phone to report your problem.

mjpartyboy
17-06-2011, 13:03
Thanks for the number, but it's giving the same information as the website did last night, which is SN2 and SN4 might be experiencing problems accessing Virgin Media's site. It just so happens that I was using Virgin Media's website without and problems before the complete failure of both the internet and TV services. There were no warnings or disruptions to either of these services before they stopped working.

For what it's worth, the parents' property is about 200-400 metres down the road, so they are not connected at the same point outside, although ultimately we must both be connected to the same pipe.

---------- Post added at 11:36 ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 ----------

I've just phoned my partner's parents and their internet and TV are back, so I will check ours as soon as I get in later. They never got round to logging the fault before it came back and none of us have been notified about what the problem was. Whatever it was, I'm glad it has been resolved quite quickly.

---------- Post added at 13:03 ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 ----------

Virgin replied to my tweet and said nothing had been reported and to check the service status page. Surely my tweet to them last night was a report that there was a problem and with both services being down from 8:30pm to at least 7:30am it was more than a glitch. I don't know the exact time it came back between 7:30am and 10:30am.

wazz
17-06-2011, 17:09
I had this "ld:20" and "modem sync flashing" few weeks ago

the problem is that virgin box stb and modem are not gettin the signal

Remember the broadband and tv are connected to the same line.

The phone is seprate connection

call 150 and tell them the probs. They shud book a vm enginer for u. He will fix the connection

well for me the vm enginer came down my house. Checked the vm box outside my house but it was fine. So he went to the other end of the street to the connection box and he fixed the prob. Apparently he said the wires wernt matching up. My broadband and tv were back :D

wazz
29-06-2011, 12:02
Did the vm enginer fix this prob