PDA

View Full Version : Superhub My replacement Superhub

kwikbreaks
17-06-2011, 08:25
Following Masque's advice I reported my Superhub as faulty and the VM community techs sent me another. This is a copy of my post on the VM community board reporting on the replacement...

======

Rather than wait for connectivity problems to show up I decided to try a test using my N wireless (Atheros)  laptop. This is in the same room as the hub about 5m from it.

A speedtest using the Speedtest.net London server showed my normal 50/4.7Mbps result. Latency wasn't noticeably different from previous wired tests. Not being a gamer I don't have any fixation on ping and don't recall the sort of figures I had pre Superhub.

With the hub set at 145Mbps mode I ran an Acronis TrueImage backup of the laptop to a wired network device. Using TaskManager to view the speed this showed peak speeds of 30% of the reported 130Mbps connection (39Mbps) and I had to leave it running overnight. It completed sussussfully.

With the hub set at 300Mbps this same backup failed to complete 3 times. Peak speeds were ~ 17% of the 300Mbps (51Mbps). A reboot of the hub was needed before anything could connect by WiFi after each failure. Wired was OK but just turning the wireless off and on again wouldn't clear the fault.

As my wired network is based around a couple of switches and I use the hub just as an internet gateway and WiFi AP no high volume traffic goes across its switch so I can't say for certain how it would perform wired.

It seems clear to me that the WiFi problems I experienced were not the result of a faulty unit and are either inherant in hardware which is not up to the job or faulty firmware which given Netgear/VMs past track record is not going to be properly fixed any time soon so I'll be contacting the CEO office to see if they have any modems left.

General Maximus
17-06-2011, 08:43
hasn't anyone told you yet? there is nothing wrong with the superhub so the problem must lie in your other equipment which Virgin don't support. All your connectivity problems are your fault.

kwikbreaks
17-06-2011, 10:04
Yeah it's real bad - I'm going to have to throw away desktops, laptops, phones, NAS, freesat box, NMT, and an iPad because they're all obviously rubbish as they don't work with the brilliant Superhub. I'm real glad I don't have any gaming consoles because I expect they would all be faulty too.

===

I've seen complaints that you can't connect more than 4 wireless clients. I just had 5 connected at the same time so that particular problem doesn't happen with mine. Of course they weren't doing a lot of work so possibly that matters too but I can't easily test that as 3 were mobile devices so just sofa surfers really.

qasdfdsaq
17-06-2011, 20:48
Wireless 'N' performance can be variable but 300mbps mode (HT) is notoriously hard to get right. That said your reported speeds are verging on the pathetic side of bad, seeing as even my mobile phone manages 35mbps in 65mbps link mode. The highest efficiency I've seen is in the 70-80% range.

That said even the high quality, reputable OSF products have trouble getting HT mode right, so the fact that the Superhub keels over and dies doing it is no surprise to me. Last time I dabbled with Openwrt I had to modify several elements of the firmware itself to make it not crash and/or not cripple itself while running in HT mode.

kwikbreaks
18-06-2011, 08:56
I just had another case where I couldn't connect until I rebooted the thing. I've switched it back down to 135Mbps as it last longer like that before playing up. Luckily I only use WiFi for my phone + an iPad or I'd be really annoyed.

No reply to my email to CEO office - maybe they are getting miffed about SH complaints. Either way I've now complained that they didn't even acknowledge the email. If there is still no response I'll call retentions next week and have a try with them. For me this is just an inconvenience but for some it must make the service virtually unusable - I bet they must have had plenty bailing out inside the cooling off period.

kwikbreaks
22-06-2011, 15:23
Result :)

CEO Office is sending a VMNG300. I suppose I should have moaned before but my troubles were more of an inconvenience than a show stopper.

Hugh
22-06-2011, 15:59
Glad to hear you got your problem resolved - sometimes complaining is the only way to get things fixed.

Sirius
22-06-2011, 16:13

CEO Office is sending a VMNG300. I suppose I should have moaned before but my troubles were more of an inconvenience than a show stopper.

:tu: Excellent result for you.

Tuvoc
22-06-2011, 16:20

I wonder if you can get one from the outset - say to them, I currently have 20Mb, want to upgrade to 50Mb, but will only do so if you give me a VMNG300.

gobbledigook
22-06-2011, 17:02
I wonder if you can get one from the outset - say to them, I currently have 20Mb, want to upgrade to 50Mb, but will only do so if you give me a VMNG300.

if this were possible i'd upgrade today.... Now... THIS SECOND!!!

Peter_
22-06-2011, 17:35
If you upgrade you will receive a Superhub as the is no other option available to the installer.

qasdfdsaq
22-06-2011, 18:14
Unless he goes via the CEO's office.

Stephen
22-06-2011, 18:18

He can't upgrade his broadband via the CEO office.

He may get a superhub that works fine though as there are a lot out there that do.

iluvabargain2011
22-06-2011, 18:29
Hi Stephen, just thought i`d ask before i comment.

Do you also work for VM?

Peter_
22-06-2011, 18:30
Not an option for an upgrade as he has to have a manned installation at which point a Superhub will be installed which may work perfectly.

iluvabargain2011
22-06-2011, 18:31
Not an option for an upgrade as he has to have a manned installation at which point a Superhub will be installed which may work perfectly.

Just a case of Russian Roulette really :erm:

Peter_
22-06-2011, 18:33
Just a case of Russian Roulette really :erm:
Not really as the are over 300,000 Superhubs on the network and relatively few have issues.

Stephen
22-06-2011, 18:34
Hi Stephen, just thought i`d ask before i comment.

Do you also work for VM?
I do yes. Says so in my Sig :)

iluvabargain2011
22-06-2011, 18:35
Not really as the are over 300,000 Superhubs on the network and relatively few have issues.

So you say.....

Hopefully the 28 firmware will be released soon so people can use their own routers :D

---------- Post added at 18:35 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------

Ok,

So are all mods on this iste VM Employees? if not what % aren`t? I will move this to a seperate thread btw..

Peter_
22-06-2011, 18:39
So you say.....

Hopefully the 28 firmware will be released soon so people can use their own routers :D

---------- Post added at 18:35 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------

Ok,

So are all mods on this iste VM Employees? if not what % aren`t? I will move this to a seperate thread btw..
The is only one Virginmedia employee on the Cableforum team.;)

iluvabargain2011
22-06-2011, 18:41
And who owns the website?

Peter_
22-06-2011, 18:43
And who owns the website?
A few of the team members as it is an independent forum privately run.

Hugh
22-06-2011, 18:44
A few of the team members as it is an independent forum privately run.None of whom work for VM.

iluvabargain2011
22-06-2011, 18:46
I`ve now started my own thread so will not hijack anymore but interesting googling :erm:

Pantsu-san
22-06-2011, 18:46
He can't upgrade his broadband via the CEO office.

This is a lie. I did just that.

qasdfdsaq
22-06-2011, 18:48
Yeah, given how much power the CEO office has to do just about anything other departments can't, I doubt they'd be counfounded by something as simple as a tariff change...

Peter_
22-06-2011, 18:50
This is a lie. I did just that.
Well it is something they should not be doing as they are not following process with regards upgrades, as for one you should have a manned install.

So not a lie at all so please do not accuse anyone on here of lying when they are actually giving you the correct information.

Pantsu-san
22-06-2011, 18:55
Well it is something they should not be doing as they are not following process with regards upgrades, as for one you should have a manned install.

So not a lie at all so please do not accuse anyone on here of lying when they are actually giving you the correct information.

Ok. Here's the facts :

a) upgrading a VMNG300 to a 100Mb service does NOT require a manned install. It's nothing more than a configuration file sent to the modem.

b) this has been done via the CEO office.

Anyone stating that the above CAN NOT be done, to me, is telling fibs of the highest order and is in need of some serious retraining.

qasdfdsaq
22-06-2011, 18:56
Saying you can't, when you can is certainly not the correct information.

The CEO office clearly doesn't have to follow process, hell if they're actually the CEO's office they make the process. Assuming they're actually complaints/escalation, they're there specifically for when "following process" has resulted in a peeved off customer.

Peter_
22-06-2011, 19:02
Ok. Here's the facts :

a) upgrading a VMNG300 to a 100Mb service does NOT require a manned install. It's nothing more than a configuration file sent to the modem.

b) this has been done via the CEO office.

Anyone stating that the above CAN NOT be done, to me, is telling fibs of the highest order and is in need of some serious retraining.
Once again do please take the time to understand that if the CEO's office did what you say then they are going against process and that has absolutely nothing to do with any training whatsoever as our advice is correct and that is how it should be done.

So just because it may have been done in your case it does not make it right.

So once again no one on here is telling lies or even fibs so please do be aware of that simple fact.

---------- Post added at 19:02 ---------- Previous post was at 19:00 ----------

Saying you can't, when you can is certainly not the correct information.

The CEO office clearly doesn't have to follow process, hell if they're actually the CEO's office they make the process.
Have you not noticed that we are getting accused of lying when he has been advised of the correct process which is irrespective of the CEO's office not following their own processes.

Pantsu-san
22-06-2011, 19:04
Thinking about this further, I really don't want to argue about it. After the polar opposite of dealing with the deceit of my initial installer and his supervisor compared to dealing with the CEO's office (read: night and day) I've managed to get exactly what I want from my provider - 300@100.

I'm more than happy with my kit & service so I'll bow out now. I didn't mean to offend anyone and I apologise if I did.

qasdfdsaq
22-06-2011, 19:06
Have you not noticed that we are getting accused of lying when he has been advised of the correct process which is irrespective of the CEO's office not following their own processes.

Granted, I wouldn't have called it an outright lie, but I would not consider it correct information either.

As above, the CEO's office are there for where process hasn't worked and evidence has proved they can and will do things that are against the standard process. Can not and should not are different things. Saying they cannot when they can and do is clearly incorrect. It may be true that they should not (I do not know) but they evidently do anyway.

Peter_
22-06-2011, 19:11
Thinking about this further, I really don't want to argue about it. After the polar opposite of dealing with the deceit of my initial installer and his supervisor compared to dealing with the CEO's office (read: night and day) I've managed to get exactly what I want from my provider - 300@100.

I'm more than happy with my kit & service so I'll bow out now. I didn't mean to offend anyone and I apologise if I did.
If we could send out the VMNG300 then I expect we would and I think we would have run out by now if that was the case, so be thankful that you can contact the CEO's office as no one else has ever been able to send out that modem even when it was a stock item.

---------- Post added at 19:11 ---------- Previous post was at 19:06 ----------

Granted, I wouldn't have called it an outright lie, but I would not consider it correct information either.

As above, the CEO's office are there for where process hasn't worked and evidence has proved they can and will do things that are against the standard process. Can not and should not are different things. Saying they cannot when they can and do is clearly incorrect. It may be true that they should not (I do not know) but they evidently do anyway.
If you read my above post maybe you will understand more.

As with all businesses the is a process to follow and we adhere to that if the CEO's office decides to do otherwise that is up to them but it is still wrong to go against the processes.

If someone wants a upgrade the they should get the standard supplied kit and only if they have issues should the be a need to escalate it further to the CEO's office for resolution as to do otherwise makes a mockery of the processes.

Pantsu-san
22-06-2011, 19:12
Well, if I'm honest, it's the same modem that was installed when I took up the 50Mb service at the first opportunity so it was never requested directly from the CEO's office.

As I said previously, I didn't mean to offend you, or any CF mod. If I did, then sorry.

Peter_
22-06-2011, 19:15
Well, if I'm honest, it's the same modem that was installed when I took up the 50Mb service at the first opportunity so it was never requested directly from the CEO's office.

As I said previously, I didn't mean to offend you, or any CF mod. If I did, then sorry.
I think the wording on your post may have misled people which makes it now rather amusing and made me smile as all you have done is ask for your upgrade to be done on the VMNG300.:D

Pantsu-san
22-06-2011, 19:20
I think the wording on your post may have misled people which makes it now rather amusing and made me smile as all you have done is ask for your upgrade to be done on the VMNG300.:D

That I did. Didn't mean to mislead anyone with my confused ramblings :)

I have 13 months worth of reasons for not wanting to beta test a new device at my own expense. But I've gone over that in another thread so no need of a repeat.

Peter_
22-06-2011, 19:37
That I did. Didn't mean to mislead anyone with my confused ramblings :)

I have 13 months worth of reasons for not wanting to beta test a new device at my own expense. But I've gone over that in another thread so no need of a repeat.
You did mention the configuration file in the post after the one were you said we were wrong about the process looking back but obviously I was concentrating on the other words in the first post.;):D

Skie
22-06-2011, 19:39
They are the CEO's office. I'd be careful of suggesting what they are doing is wrong.

They seem to be the few VM customer facing staff who actually get things right and make customers happy. If I was in charge of VM I'd be looking into why, and making changes to align the other CS teams to how the CEO's team operate.

Pantsu-san
22-06-2011, 19:43
You did mention the configuration file in the post after the one were you said we were wrong about the process looking back but obviously I was concentrating on the other words in the first post.;):D

My choice of language could've been less provocative, admittedly.

Group hug? :angel:

Maggy
22-06-2011, 19:48
Good,I'm glad not to have bang heads together. ;)

Stephen
22-06-2011, 19:52
They are the CEO's office. I'd be careful of suggesting what they are doing is wrong.

They seem to be the few VM customer facing staff who actually get things right and make customers happy. If I was in charge of VM I'd be looking into why, and making changes to align the other CS teams to how the CEO's team operate.

But the CEO office is the last resort when all other routes have failed. Customers shouldn't just be contacting them at the drop of a hat. That's why they are so good at what they do. They aren't like the regular CS teams at all.

qasdfdsaq
22-06-2011, 19:56
Good,I'm glad not to have bang heads together. ;)
:banghead:http://wineberserkers.com/images/smilies/head-bang.gif xD

---------- Post added at 19:56 ---------- Previous post was at 19:55 ----------

But the CEO office is the last resort when all other routes have failed. Customers shouldn't just be contacting them at the drop of a hat. That's why they are so good at what they do. They aren't like the regular CS teams at all.
Well I agree, but if you have to contact them it means regular CS have failed.

Pantsu-san
22-06-2011, 20:06
But the CEO office is the last resort when all other routes have failed. Customers shouldn't just be contacting them at the drop of a hat.

I agree. My case & previous service history was unique and it can be backed up by formal complaints to CISAS and the ISPA. Contacting the CEO's office without such extenuating circumstances should be completely discouraged.

Stephen
22-06-2011, 20:50
I agree. My case & previous service history was unique and it can be backed up by formal complaints to CISAS and the ISPA. Contacting the CEO's office without such extenuating circumstances should be completely discouraged.

Exactly, you should try everything possible and have alady had complaints raised and instigated before considering contacting the CEO office. Not just because you want a modem that is no longer produced as you think the superhub might not work great.