PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to Wireless DSL?

Kymmy
16-06-2011, 14:01
In the early '00s I was living in Streatham and we had a trial installation of Wireless DSL from NTL (little flat squariel pointing towards Crystal Palace providing 512Kb)

What ever happened to this trial?

Charliedontsurf
16-06-2011, 14:15
It ended.(The trial that is)

As for the information gathered who knows, But my mobile phone can achieve upto 7Mb down speeds via hsdpa. Just looking in to the 4G networks and its possible you could see 40-50Mb.

qasdfdsaq
16-06-2011, 15:57
My mobile phone can achive 12mbps down (in practice) via HSDPA and "Up to 21mbps" (in theory). That's beside the point though. Wireless DSL can do 200mbps down now.

I've seen many wireless telecoms companies come and go, and virtually all of them have gone bust. I'm still salvaging some of the wireless local loop gear here from the '90s, pretty much every house has one yet they all stopped working a decade ago. Ionica went bust too, as did every other (UK) WLL provider I know of. I'm not sure why, perhaps someone in the industry will be able to elaborate.

There's definately a resurgence in wireless these days, primarily because wireless now means full device mobility instead of fixed wireless access at home only, which offers no real benefits over fixed line (and a few disadvantages)