PDA

View Full Version : 10Mb L Package upgraded to 20Mb

mollda
16-06-2011, 10:13
Just been on the phone to customer services to get my broadband speed increased. Currently on 10MB package. She advised I could upgrade to the XL 30mb or stay on the L package as they will be increasing this to 20mb in the next few weeks. Any-one else heard about the possible increase to 20mb for broadband L customers?

AaronCooper
16-06-2011, 10:47
*Facepalms myself for upgrading to 30mb*

pgnl
17-06-2011, 17:07
Speed increase for L is long overdue, I was expecting 15 though, so 20 would be good. I have a love/hate relationship with VM, so expect anything positive for the customer, to be negated by something else, like a price increase or they keep STM as it is for 10mb.

Nope, I shan't be holding my breath....

Patrick

Charliedontsurf
17-06-2011, 17:21
Well I'm dropping from 50Mb to the lowest possible package. It will be a bonus if its anything above 10mb.

I intend to leave it downloading 24/7 from bbc iplayerHD untill they let me leave for free.

Peter_
17-06-2011, 17:26
Just been on the phone to customer services to get my broadband speed increased. Currently on 10MB package. She advised I could upgrade to the XL 30mb or stay on the L package as they will be increasing this to 20mb in the next few weeks. Any-one else heard about the possible increase to 20mb for broadband L customers?
Another pipe dream, do not believe everything you are told.:erm:

Neo-Tech
17-06-2011, 17:48
Hahaha! I'd love to see that happen! The VM network will probably collapse. :D

Before all the VM lovers come and flame me, read the support forums and count how many times you see 'utilisation'. Kthxbye.

Peter_
17-06-2011, 18:49
Hahaha! I'd love to see that happen! The VM network will probably collapse. :D

Before all the VM lovers come and flame me, read the support forums and count how many times you see 'utilisation'. Kthxbye.
Plus the cost involved in replacing the many many modems that would struggle with 20Mb, a nice thought but not really a viable one.

People do not realise that we still have customers on 512kb, 1Mb, 2Mb and now even 10Mb M as these are all legacy tiers.

pgnl
17-06-2011, 19:22
Plus the cost involved in replacing the many many modems that would struggle with 20Mb, a nice thought but not really a viable one.

People do not realise that we still have customers on 512kb, 1Mb, 2Mb and now even 10Mb M as these are all legacy tiers.

Well VM's latest wheeze is the 'activation fee', don't imagine for one second that there wouldn't be one to help subsidise the cost of the new modems needed.

Even for those that already have them. VM is the company that charges £49 for a rented TIVO and £40 for installation. They're all about confusing the customer and making things look cheaper than they really are these days.

You've got me started....

Patrick

Peter_
17-06-2011, 19:25
Well VM's latest wheeze is the 'activation fee', don't imagine for one second that there wouldn't be one to help subsidise the cost of the new modems needed.

Even for those that already have them..

Patrick
Activation fees have been around for years and the cost involved in upgrading all 10Mb customers would be prohibitive to say the least especially with the level of debt they already owe.

pgnl
17-06-2011, 19:31
Activation fees have been around for years and the cost involved in upgrading all 10Mb customers would be prohibitive to say the least especially with the level of debt they already owe.

The 20 to 30Mb had an activation fee, but the 512 to 1mb, 1mb to 2mb, 2mb to 4mb, 4mb to 10mb didn't did they? (I've been there!)

Well the problem of legacy modems is no doubt why they've held back for so long. But they'll find a way, if it's what they want to do and it will mean some form of price increase, that you can be certain.

Patrick

mollda
17-06-2011, 20:19
Strange, not sure why customer services would lie to me or not want me to upgrade to 30mb. Looks like another call to clarify.

qasdfdsaq
17-06-2011, 21:10

You base this on what? The 2mb => 10mb upgrade still happened despite many modems "struggling" with the higher speed. And lets not forget a 10mb to 20mb already happened, back in in 2007, four years ago.

How is upgrading 10mb => 20mb (2x increase) going to be any harder or more cost prohibitive than 2mb => 10mb (5x increase) or when they last did 10mb => 20mb 4 years ago?

Logic would dictate we have fewer older modems on the network now incapable of 20mb than we had when 2 was upgraded to 10 or 10 to 20. So why would it be any harder?

Peter_
17-06-2011, 21:11
Strange, not sure why customer services would lie to me or not want me to upgrade to 30mb. Looks like another call to clarify.
Just a thought seeming as you state yourself as not being from the UK under your name how would you have been able to ring Virginmedia customer services.

qasdfdsaq
17-06-2011, 21:14
Some people still (wishfully) think Scotland and NI aren't part of the UK :-P

Peter_
17-06-2011, 21:15
Logic would dictate we have fewer older modems on the network now incapable of 20mb than we had when 2 was upgraded to 10 or 10 to 20. So why would it be any harder?
Do you want to bet! and if so do not hold your breath as many people still have NTL100/120 or SB4100 modems and DPX100 modems which struggle above 10Mb, do remember who works for Virginmedia technical support and sees these modems daily at which point if we have not sent a tech out we usually send out a replacement after we get them online.;)

---------- Post added at 21:15 ---------- Previous post was at 21:14 ----------

Some people still (wishfully) think Scotland and NI aren't part of the UK :-P
Well both are on our network.;)

mollda
17-06-2011, 21:55
Just a thought seeming as you state yourself as not being from the UK under your name how would you have been able to ring Virginmedia customer services.

London born and bred, I'm new to this forum so must have set up incorrectly:dozey:

Peter_
18-06-2011, 06:14
London born and bred, I'm new to this forum so must have set up incorrectly:dozey:
I thought as much but good to know it was an error.:D

mollda
18-06-2011, 09:40
Looks like Masque is correct, this time went to retentions and they advised they have heard nothing of increasing broadband L from 10mb to 20mb. If I was to increase to XL 30mb it would increase my bill to £102. I currently pay £87. (i get a loyalty discount, services below) I think I will leave it for now as £15 increase seems a bit steep

TV - XL plus sky sports/movies
phone XL plus caller display/intl/mobile
Broadband L
V+ HD Box plus extra V HD box

nomadking
18-06-2011, 09:55
Looks like Masque is correct, this time went to retentions and they advised they have heard nothing of increasing broadband L from 10mb to 20mb. If I was to increase to XL 30mb it would increase my bill to £102. I currently pay £87. (i get a loyalty discount, services below) I think I will leave it for now as £15 increase seems a bit steep

Broadband L
V+ HD Box plus extra V HD boxSomething definitely wrong there.
New customers:-
10Mb with phone line £13.50, without phone £21
30Mb with phone line £18.50, without phone £28.50
Does the £15 come from the difference between 30Mb without phone and 10Mb with phone ie £13.50 -> £28.50

Peter_
18-06-2011, 10:09

Broadband L
V+ HD Box plus extra V HD box

I had not heard of any proposed increase so was suprised to read your post as the cost would be high and all of the present 20Mb customers would not be very happy about this due to the differences in price, plus the cost of such an upgrade would be rather high for the company as they would have to replace many modems.

mollda
18-06-2011, 10:11
Something definitely wrong there.
New customers:-
10Mb with phone line £13.50, without phone £21
30Mb with phone line £18.50, without phone £28.50
Does the £15 come from the difference between 30Mb without phone and 10Mb with phone ie £13.50 -> £28.50

Should have mentioned yes I have a virgin phone line. I presently get a £10 discount so pay £87 for the overall package. Was advised if I upgraded to XL 30Mb this would cost an extra £5 (plus £30 activation fee) plus I would loose the £10 discount so in effect a £15 monthly increase

denphone
18-06-2011, 10:13

My problem is not with the activation fee but if l upgrade to 30Mb l will need a superhub and from what l have read there have been considerable problems with some of these superhubs.

mollda
18-06-2011, 10:14
I had not heard of any proposed increase so was suprised to read your post as the cost would be high and all of the present 20Mb customers would not be very happy about this due to the differences in price, plus the cost of such an upgrade would be rather high for the company as they would have to replace many modems.

Customer Services telling me porky pies:td:

Peter_
18-06-2011, 10:17
Customer Services telling me porky pies:td:
I have no idea why they would do this as the is nothing on our systems to indicate any potential uplift especially as we are still rolling out 100Mb which is ongoing until 2012.

mollda
18-06-2011, 10:19
I have no idea why they would do this as the is nothing on our systems to indicate any potential uplift especially as we are still rolling out 100Mb which is ongoing until 2012.

Lesson learned, don't believe everything you hear

Peter_
18-06-2011, 10:22
Lesson learned, don't believe everything you hear
At least you found out from this forum so stick around.

Pauls9
20-06-2011, 16:49
And there I was holding my breath...

sigh!

;)

Peter_
20-06-2011, 18:34
And there I was holding my breath...

sigh!

;)
It was not for the cost.............................................. .....;)