PDA

View Full Version : 30M Can VM 256 cable modem handle 30Mbit?

Ken W
15-06-2011, 21:40
I am on the VM 10Mbit L cable tier with a VM 256 cable modem, is that modem capable of 30Mbit or will I need a replacement modem and if so can the wireless mode be turned off?

DigitalShadow
15-06-2011, 21:46
In theory yes, in reality I doubt they would provision it as I would imagine the point of 30Mbit was to get customers off the ambit modems and therefore off docsis 1.1 etc and get the customers onto docsis 3 to stamp out piracy once and for all.

Peter_
15-06-2011, 22:00
The Ambit 256 and most of the other standard modems can run up to around 38Mb on a Docsis 1/2 network but not on the Docsis 3 network that Virginmedia are using, so you would need a Superhub to upgrade and in a few weeks or so we should have modem mode on the Superhub so you will be able to use your own N router.

DigitalShadow
15-06-2011, 22:02
Thought it was around 38Mbit, I remember the 50Mbit configs on the 255...

Peter_
15-06-2011, 22:04
Thought it was around 38Mbit, I remember the 50Mbit configs on the 255...
They could not get more than 38Mb though.;)

DigitalShadow
15-06-2011, 22:10
I know, it was frighteningly easy to do back then.

Get a PC with a few lan ports, bridge a few modems, and 100mbit is all yours. Had a tendency to cause the street to slow to a crawl. Very naughty though!

Sephiroth
15-06-2011, 22:19
I am on the VM 10Mbit L cable tier with a VM 256 cable modem, is that modem capable of 30Mbit or will I need a replacement modem and if so can the wireless mode be turned off?
If you live near the cab you reported open last year, then your 30 meg service would be on the same UBR as I'm on. I get a full 50 meg most of the time so I'd expect you to get your 30.

There are some strange peaks at the weekend during the day that cut me down to 25 - which, of course, won't cut you down to any less.

You should approach the SH with an open mind. Knowing you've got a stable network environment (VM) will help in judging any wobblies that might arise and, for what it may be worth, I'd be more than willing to help you if needed.

You can visit http://tools.virginmedia.com/ and post the Client Host Name. That'll tell us what UBR you're on now.

Cheers

Peter_
15-06-2011, 22:22
You can visit http://tools.virginmedia.com/ and post the Client Host Name. That'll tell us what UBR you're on now.

Cheers
The connection tab at the top of this page tells you that as well.:)

Ken W
16-06-2011, 09:04
The Ambit 256 and most of the other standard modems can run up to around 38Mb on a Docsis 1/2 network but not on the Docsis 3 network that Virginmedia are using, so you would need a Superhub to upgrade and in a few weeks or so we should have modem mode on the Superhub so you will be able to use your own N router.

Thank you Masque,
I will wait a few weeks until the update you mention is available.

qasdfdsaq
16-06-2011, 15:30
The update has been "coming soon" for 7 months. I wouldn't hold your breath.

imranm
16-06-2011, 15:39
The update has been "coming soon" for 7 months. I wouldn't hold your breath.

I wonder why it's taking such a long time, shouldn't it be fairly easy for Netgear to enable modem only mode?

qasdfdsaq
16-06-2011, 16:12
I've been away a while but shortly before my hiatus someone suggested they were able to 'hack' the old Superhub firmware into modem-only mode by a simple telnet command, indicating it was already built-in from the start. Don't know if it ever worked or not.

Peter_
16-06-2011, 16:17
I've been away a while but shortly before my hiatus someone suggested they were able to 'hack' the old Superhub firmware into modem-only mode by a simple telnet command, indicating it was already built-in from the start. Don't know if it ever worked or not.
As they posted a how to guide it was quickly quashed.