PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Strange things happening to my superhub

fatbloke
15-06-2011, 16:08
Hi about 15 minutes ago I lost my internet connection and it wouldn't connect again.
I tried to get into the SH settings but it would only let me when I used the default IP adress 192.168.0.1 I had changed the default IP range to 192.168.1.1 but somehow it had changed...my wireless settings had changed and also the port forwarding was missing.
My question did Virgin do a firmware update today?
If not what has occurred to change the settings of the superhub?

kwikbreaks
15-06-2011, 16:43
You have experienced the common bug where it factory resets for no known reason. Hope you backed up your settings....

fatbloke
15-06-2011, 17:05
You have experienced the common bug where it factory resets for no known reason. Hope you backed up your settings....

Thank you for your quick response.
Luckily I did have a backup.;)

Sephiroth
15-06-2011, 19:17
What a wretched device that is.

fatbloke
15-06-2011, 19:53
What a wretched device that is.

I have had the router for about 3 month's and that's the first time that has happened.

qasdfdsaq
16-06-2011, 00:56
I've had one of my routers 7 years and it's never done that...

Nopanic
16-06-2011, 07:37
Odd, none of my Hubs have done that and they have been running since it was first out ..

Not saying its not a bug, kwikbreaks you say its a common bug? is there a release from VM or Netgear about it ? what it does and when they plan to fix it ?

kwikbreaks
16-06-2011, 08:09
It hasn't happened to mine but I've seen it mentioned many times on the VM community board.

As I'm sure you know the search on the VM community board is weak but here are some links from the first page of search results for factory reset where others have reported this behaviour.

Regarding VM recognising this as a problem or working on it I don't know but my avatar sums up my opinion which of course we are not allowed to voice here.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-30Mb-and-50Mb-broadband/SuperHub-Random-Factory-Reset/m-p/234297/highlight/true#M27775

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-30Mb-and-50Mb-broadband/Superhub-keeps-resetting-and-keeps-going-back-to-factory/m-p/372237/highlight/true#M39792

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-30Mb-and-50Mb-broadband/Superhub-reseting/m-p/552885/highlight/true#M56979

Peter_
16-06-2011, 08:17
Not something I have had happen to my Superhub and nor have I had such a call as yet, maybe it is an area issue or something on the network.

I would like to receive such a call to see if we can ascertain what is causing it.

kwikbreaks
16-06-2011, 08:30
If it happened to my hub I wouldn't call it in - what's the point VM tech don't know how I want it set up but I would report it on the community board. I suspect many run defaults anyway so they wouldn't even know. As has been pointed out to you on many occasions - absence of tech calls does not prove absence of problems.

BTW I got a replacement hub on your recommendation and decided to put it through some WiFi paces. This morning I left it doing an Acronis image of my laptop over WiFi. The laptop is in the same room as the hub about 5m from it. It was running OK albeit rather slowly (15% of the 300Mbps connection according to taskmanager) and a speedtest from my (wired) desktop was running at its usual 50/4.7 so it was looking good. I checked from here using logmein and the hub is still up because I can access the wired desktop but the laptop has just fallen off the network - hopefully I'll find out why when I get home tonight.

philce
16-06-2011, 09:33
Not something I have had happen to my Superhub and nor have I had such a call as yet, maybe it is an area issue or something on the network.

I would like to receive such a call to see if we can ascertain what is causing it.

Mine does this a few times a week.

It has been replaced already and the new one had the same problem.

It locks up and needs a reboot to clear, no connection possible, but the wireless stays connected, but the IP addy defaults.

No point reporting it as they just ask to reboot, that fixes so call closed!

kwikbreaks
16-06-2011, 09:45
> It locks up and needs a reboot to clear, no connection possible,

That's a different (frequently reported) feature of the Superhub.

qasdfdsaq
16-06-2011, 15:31
My VMNG300 does that frequently enough that I doubt it's specific to the Superhub

kwikbreaks
16-06-2011, 15:44
Strangely enough my Superhub has never done this.

fatbloke
16-06-2011, 18:29
It happened again today.:rolleyes: