PDA

View Full Version : Surgeon anger at TV crew during Cameron visit

AdamD
15-06-2011, 12:40
Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13771099

A senior orthopaedic surgeon expressed his anger at what a camera crew were wearing in a ward at Guy's Hospital, London, during a visit by David Cameron, Nick Clegg and Andrew Lansley.

Unlike the politicians, the camera crew, who were acting for the BBC and other news organisations, did not have their sleeves rolled up during their visit. The prime minister was quick to agree with the surgeon and told the crew he thought they should "disappear".

The hospital visit came on the day that changes to plans for the NHS were announced.
Bit over the top, but I can see why he'd be annoyed, although isn't it the ward manager's job to ask people to comply with the rules?

Kymmy
15-06-2011, 12:46
Why is it a bit over the top? Some hospitals have the rule due to MRSA infections (you can;t clean your hands properly with long sleeves).. He's responsible for the patients so well done that surgeon :clap:

denphone
15-06-2011, 12:53
Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13771099

Bit over the top, but I can see why he'd be annoyed, although isn't it the ward manager's job to ask people to comply with the rules?

No l do not think it is over the top as infection control is one of the most inportant things in any decent hospital.

AdamD
15-06-2011, 12:54
Good point, I didn't think of that.

staggie
15-06-2011, 14:14
having worked in hospital he was spot on infection control is very important

Osem
15-06-2011, 15:03
Judging by what I've seen on my many hospital visits, it's a pity they can't enforce better hygiene rules on some of the visitors.

Arthurgray50@blu
15-06-2011, 15:04
Well done to the surgeon, but a disgrace for the female admin clerk pushing the surgeon out of the way to keep him quiet.

If you look closely at the film, the surgeon quite correctly has a go, as he walks out of the ward, a femal in grey moves him quickly out of the way, could this be that she doesn't want embarrasemnt to the hospital - 10/10 sir.

staggie
15-06-2011, 15:21
yup a , manager on 200 000 a year maybe

Hugh
15-06-2011, 15:24

Probably not.......

denphone
15-06-2011, 15:25

Or a PR spin doctor.

Damien
15-06-2011, 15:41
Well done to the surgeon, but a disgrace for the female admin clerk pushing the surgeon out of the way to keep him quiet.

If you look closely at the film, the surgeon quite correctly has a go, as he walks out of the ward, a femal in grey moves him quickly out of the way, could this be that she doesn't want embarrasemnt to the hospital - 10/10 sir.

I presumed that was the producer with the crew. She says 'Sorry Sir' as he walks off in a different direction, she was with the crew or the Prime Minster. Considering it was the crew at fault I am going with the former.

Osem
15-06-2011, 16:03
I really don't think a 'female admin clerk' would be pushing a consultant surgeon out of the way.

Sirius
15-06-2011, 16:10

Glad you said maybe because if you had not the next question would have been "proof" :LOL:

Welshchris
15-06-2011, 16:11
my mates partner, his 86yo dad nor i can go and see my mate who is currently very ill in Hospital after a heart attack after the ward hes on has been closed to all visitors because of an infection and this was by in no means out of order.

To be honest tho they should have thrown Cameron and Clegg out to because all the crap they spout they will soon leave an infection behind.

Hugh
15-06-2011, 16:23
From the Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8576031/Leading-surgeon-interrupts-Cameron-hospital-visit.html)
However they had been told by the ward sister that they did not need to abide by the “bare below the elbows” rules because they were not coming into close contact with patients, unlike the MPs, who were at the hospital to announce the latest NHS reform plans.

A spokeswoman for Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust said: “Arrangements for today's visit were entirely consistent with the Trust's infection control policy.

“One individual member of staff expressed concern with one element of the infection control measures employed, but this was not a view shared by the wider team.”

The same surgeon said in 2007
“I now have to half undress to see my patients, and have certainly not been provided with any protective uniform, any more than I was provided with a white coat,” he wrote in 2007.

“While I wholeheartedly endorse any measure to reduce the risk of infection, I cannot see this but as window dressing.

Sirius
15-06-2011, 16:26
To be honest tho they should have thrown Cameron and Clegg out to because all the crap they spout they will soon leave an infection behind.

But that's only your assessment just like the one the other day you said was on the net but NO ONE could find a trace of it.

Gary L
15-06-2011, 18:13
Who does he think he is, embarrassing Dave like that?

Maggy
15-06-2011, 18:39
A hiccup in a tea cup.:)

Damien
15-06-2011, 22:43
From the Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8576031/Leading-surgeon-interrupts-Cameron-hospital-visit.html)

The same surgeon said in 2007

Geez The Telegraph was quick to dig something up on him. He didn't even focus his disapproval on the Prime Minster but the camera crew and besides there is a difference between sleeves rolled up and should you wear a tie or being a camera crew.

Hugh
15-06-2011, 22:57
He wrote to the Telegraph, that is how they knew; and the Telegraph is not a friend of Dave's....

My main point was that the camera crew had been cleared by the hospital, who stated it wasn't an issue.