PDA

View Full Version : Methotrexate and Dithranol

Welshchris
14-06-2011, 20:29
This is a long shot i know but just wondering of anyone knows about these two drugs and have recieved these treatments...

I am currently recieveing UVB treatment for Psoriasis and also on the days which i dont have the treatment i use Silkis ointment.

I am almost at my limit of what treatments i can recieve on UVB for a year and i think the doctor is gonna recommend Methotrexate again. what im wondering is if anyone knows if these tablets can be used alongside Dithranol so i recommend the treatment.

Maggy
14-06-2011, 21:32
This is a long shot i know but just wondering of anyone knows about these two drugs and have recieved these treatments...

I am currently recieveing UVB treatment for Psoriasis and also on the days which i dont have the treatment i use Silkis ointment.

I am almost at my limit of what treatments i can recieve on UVB for a year and i think the doctor is gonna recommend Methotrexate again. what im wondering is if anyone knows if these tablets can be used alongside Dithranol so i recommend the treatment.

May I ask why you don't ask your doctor?:erm:

candy1567
14-06-2011, 21:40
you really need to as ur GP as no 2 ppl as the same and wat works for them may cause problems with u.

there are websites which u can check the interactions of drugs, or u could as ur local pharmacist for the information.

Juliex

Cobbydaler
14-06-2011, 21:55
From the PIL for methotrexate tablets:
Taking/using other medicines
Special care is needed if you are taking/using other medicines as some could interact
with methotrexate, for example:
 non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines e.g. ibuprofen (medicines taken for
pain relief)
 aspirin or similar medicines (known as salicylates)
 medicines taken to help control rheumatism e.g. leflunomide, azathioprine and
sulphasalazine
 omeprazole (medicine used to stop the production of stomach acid)
 diuretics (water tablets)
 medicines used/taken for diabetes (including insulin and tablets)
 antibiotics such as penicillins, sulphonamides, co-trimoxazole, trimethoprim,
tetracycline, chloramphenicol and para-aminobenzoic acid
 phenytoin (medicine often used to treat epilepsy)
 vitamin supplements containing folic acid
 probenecid (medicine used to treat gout)
 nitrous oxide (used for general anaesthesia and pain relief)
 retinoids, such as acitretin (a medicine used to treat psoriasis) or isotretinoin
(used to treat severe acne)
Please tell your doctor if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines,
including medicines obtained without a prescription.
Taking Methotrexate Tablets and drinking alcohol
Alcohol increases the risk of liver damage with methotrexate and it should be avoided
during the full period of treatment.From the PIL for dithranol:
Using other medicines
If you have been regularly using topical corticosteroids
to treat your psoriasis it is important that you allow
yourself a treatment-free interval of at least one week
before starting to use Dithrocream. You can use a
plain emollient (skin moisturiser) on your skin in the
meantime.So looks as if it should be OK, but you should really check with your doctor. (Although he'll probably use the same or similar source that I did as well as his experience).

Welshchris
14-06-2011, 22:25
you really need to as ur GP as no 2 ppl as the same and wat works for them may cause problems with u.

there are websites which u can check the interactions of drugs, or u could as ur local pharmacist for the information.

Juliex

GP Wouldnt have a clue to be honest. 2 GPs said it was ok to use Methotrexate while on UVB and its not as it makes u more light sensitive and they argued and argued with me until i got my Dermatologist to fax them a letter confirming what i had told them.

Welshchris
23-06-2011, 01:55
Well its official i am now on Methotrexate... Its a very strong drug which causes side affects similar to those recieving cancer treatments... Have a look at the first line of the warning of the drug here....

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682019.html

peanut
23-06-2011, 06:15
Well its official i am now on Methotrexate... Its a very strong drug which causes side affects similar to those recieving cancer treatments... Have a look at the first line of the warning of the drug here....

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682019.html

I was prescribed mtx about 2 years ago for Crohn's, I took it for about 2 months before my immune system totally gave up. I ended up in hospital for a week due to severe infection.

I wouldn't be put off by what you read or hear, I was also given azathioprine which caused me pancreatitis, this only happens to about 2% of people who take the drug, so it's the same with mtx, I'm one of those that has an intolerance to medication, you on the other hand might not get any side effects all and it could be a total success. So try to be positive is the best advice I can give and not give into what you read.

Welshchris
23-06-2011, 17:01
ive been on it before and last time i was on it i lost 2 stone in less than 2 months.

It does give me stomach issues and i have to take anti sickness drugs alongside.

Scrubbs
23-06-2011, 21:24
I was prescribed mtx about 2 years ago for Crohn's, I took it for about 2 months before my immune system totally gave up. I ended up in hospital for a week due to severe infection.

I wouldn't be put off by what you read or hear, I was also given azathioprine which caused me pancreatitis, this only happens to about 2% of people who take the drug, so it's the same with mtx, I'm one of those that has an intolerance to medication, you on the other hand might not get any side effects all and it could be a total success. So try to be positive is the best advice I can give and not give into what you read.

Have you tried Humira? or is the crohns under control?
I couldn't keep anything down on azathioprine ( what little I was eating)

peanut
23-06-2011, 21:31
Have you tried Humira? or is the crohns under control?
I couldn't keep anything down on azathioprine ( what little I was eating)

That rings a bell, I think it was one of the medication that my GP turned down on the basis that it was too expensive. That's why they put me on MTX instead.

My crohn's is never under control, hasn't been for years now, too much scar tissue and strictures means I get the same symptoms of a flare up which is basically permanent.

Scrubbs
23-06-2011, 22:08
I think it was £350 a pen x 2 a month = about £8400 a year but that was 18months ago the last time I had my scar tissue and srtictures cut out.

touch wood;) It works for me and long may it continue as I have only one surgery left, then it's pouch and tramadol time(tried it once... didn't like it.... the pouch I mean not the tramadol):)

edit .... it works on Psoriasis as well so I believe.

peanut
23-06-2011, 22:41
Yeah a bit too pricey for our GP practice.

An op (resection) is the only thing I have left, I would have had it ages ago but my kidneys are on their way out (PKD), the op is considered high risk because of the condition they are in. And I can't make that decision to go ahead with it.

Welshchris
24-06-2011, 01:10
Its known as "Biologics" and my Couson takes it.

I have decided with the doctor to leave it as a last resort due to the fact i have a fear of needles after one silly cow messed up a blood test and i ended up in a sling for over 6 weeks.

Scrubbs
24-06-2011, 01:18
there is no needle to see because it's gas operated and you just press the button, stings a bit if you haven't warmed it up though:(
it certainly changed my life.:)