PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Superhub leds?

soup dragon
11-06-2011, 08:24
What colour should the 3 leds be on the superhub?

On Thursday I lost connection to the internet, rang 151 ,who after doing all the checks booked me a tech visit for today to replace my superhub as it 'appeared to have failed'. I went to work Thursday night and an automated call to my home from VM was answered by my son who didn't know what was happening and so he hung up. Last night about 23:00 the internet reconnected for about 15 mins, went off again and is now back on. I rang VM to see what was happening and the guy said the tech visit had been cancelled as it was an area outage on Thursday/Friday and that I had been sent a text informing me (the automated call). When I initialy rang the guy said there wasn't any issues in the infrastructure and it was my superhub.

Anyhoo - I am not sure but before this I thought that the top 2 leds were blue and the bottom 1 was green. Now it is only the top led that is blue. Is my memory playing tricks on me?

Nopanic
11-06-2011, 08:38
It is, the top is the only blue one and it only goes blue when the modem has locked on to Docsis 3, so you're all good.

soup dragon
11-06-2011, 08:43
thank you, age is a bu**er!

Sirius
11-06-2011, 09:11
The bottom led will go blue but only if you have 5 ghz set for your wireless.

Skie
11-06-2011, 11:23
If any of the lights are on it means it isn't working.

:)

Sirius
11-06-2011, 11:41

Yea good advice even with the smiley

:erm:

To ensure a level playing field my super hub does what i need it to do.

Peter_
11-06-2011, 13:32

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

jb66
11-06-2011, 19:39
Masque has never ever had an issue with his superhub, when the new superhub comes out he will not want one of them :)

Peter_
11-06-2011, 19:50
Masque has never ever had an issue with his superhub, when the new superhub comes out he will not want one of them :)
If my Superhub developed a fault and it needed replacing then I would only get the one either sent to me or replaced by a service technician as you will have no choice over which one is supplied.

markie1966
11-06-2011, 19:55
Yea good advice even with the smiley

:erm:

To ensure a level playing field my super hub does what i need it to do.

you obviously dont play online games then :banghead:

TuesdayWildchild
05-10-2011, 20:58
I'd just like to add that my super hub has done a lovely job since its service start here in my house and also never had any real problem with cable conections or anything since I first got it back in Diamond Cable days.

as this is a tread about lights and what colour they are the ones on the back where one plugs ones RJ45 in. Whats the reason for mine and my wifes being orange but the printer is green all i can think is its a speed thing.

Peter_
05-10-2011, 21:08
I'd just like to add that my super hub has done a lovely job since its service start here in my house and also never had any real problem with cable conections or anything since I first got it back in Diamond Cable days.

as this is a tread about lights and what colour they are the ones on the back where one plugs ones RJ45 in. Whats the reason for mine and my wifes being orange but the printer is green all i can think is its a speed thing.
More likely just what the manufacturer has fitted as they are only there to let you know the socket is working.

TuesdayWildchild
05-10-2011, 21:22
I should of said each socket has 2 leds one each side at the top . the Righthand one green the left orange.

Corection

mine is green and the wifes and printer is orange

kwikbreaks
05-10-2011, 22:32
Masque is wrong. The leds on the RJ45 sockets show link speed 100Mbps (orange) or 1000Mbps (green). Lots of kit works the same.

This is in the VM published documentation...

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=345040&CURRENT_CMD=SEARCH&CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=
On the rear of the Super Hub are four Ethernet ports, which can be used to make wired connections to computers and other devices on your network.

Each Ethernet port has its own light to indicate a connection between the Super Hub and the attached device. These lights will blink when data is being transferred across the network.

A green light indicates a network connection of 1,000Mbps, while an amber light indicates a network connection of 100Mbps.

If you have connected the Super Hub to your computer via the Ethernet cable but the relevant Ethernet light does not come on as expected, try the following checks:

Make sure you're using the Ethernet cable supplied with the Super Hub.
Make sure the Ethernet cable is firmly connected to your computer and to the Super Hub.
Make sure that the Ethernet port is enabled on your computer. Click to find out how to do this in Windows XP, Windows Vista, or on a Mac. If you are using another Operating System, check out the guide that came with your computer.

TuesdayWildchild
05-10-2011, 23:10
Cheers kind sir Kwikbreaks

I'll look into the wifes as she's always moaning its slow, might have fit a newer faster network card maybe.

kwikbreaks
06-10-2011, 06:16
A 100Mbps network card is the most likely reason but it could also be a 2 pair or even a damaged patch lead.

A 100Mbps network card should be fine for 50Mbps - check the properties - I've seen posts in the past where the card has not been set to use full duplex. If it's XP then it could be a case of optimising the Windows settings - google will throw up tools to help with that.

Hugh
06-10-2011, 06:52
Some posts removed - pointless bickering