PDA

View Full Version : 30M Yet another large outage in the Bellshill/Uddingston area

callummackenzie
10-06-2011, 20:22
Hi All, I am looking for some help, in the past 6 months there has been 3 major outages lasting at least 2 days in the Bellshill/Uddingston area of North Lanarkshire. I have followed all the procedures, rebooting modems, rebooting router and running through hoops for VM to tell me yet again that starting last night there was an outage in my area. Having phoned VM several times today and being told each time that they expect the service to be restored soon I decided to phone them one last time this evening to be told that the resolution date for getting service restored was going to be 14th June, that would mean that VM would have been unable to supply a stable net connection to me and many others in my town for 5 days.

A few things now about my service,
I live in the ML4 3... section of North Lanarkshire,
I am on the 30 meg connection,
When the service was working I was sitting with power levels of 1.3, 2.1, 1.9 on the downstream and about 40 on the upstream (I think)
My TV works fine (aside from a little pixelation on the VOD)

I used to stay in a town west of Glasgow called Johnstone and while being a VM customer for nearly 8 years I never encountered these issues, sure I had an outage or 2, but having one or two outages in 8 years was in my opinion great.

Since moving here and being on the uddingston UBR I have in the past 1.5 years had 5 or 6 major outages.

I am getting rather fed up of being tied into a contract for services which VM can not correctly supply in my area.

Is there anything that I can do? I am now at the point I would rather cancel and go with Sky as I personally feel that VM have a terrible service in this area.

I have had VM check my modem today (in the 10 minutes that the service resumed and they say everything up to my modem is fine, power levels good and no loss)

Can anyone give me advice, even if you can't and you stay in the bellshill/uddingston area can you leave feedback to let me know if you are having this issue tonight.

LondonRoad
10-06-2011, 21:28
I'm in Uddingston and I haven't experienced any major outages for years. I've been on and off the computer all night and the kids have been on it a few times too. I'm on 30 Mb too.:shrug:

callummackenzie
11-06-2011, 13:58
Thanks for your response LondonRoad,
VM have today confirmed to me what is happening with the issue. They have confirmed that firstly there are 230+ households having the issue. They have also confirmed that the symptoms are a reboot of the modem followed by the lease of a LAN IP to your PC (192.168.137.xxx or something like that) followed few seconds of access to 192.168.100.1 after which the ip listed above is removed and you have no proper IP address assigned to you.
They have confirmed that their engineers are working on the issue but do not know the cause of the issue.

kalleh
11-06-2011, 23:40
im on UBR19 and have had this problem since friday all working from 5pm today though whereas neighbours on ubr12 werent having the issue

LondonRoad
11-06-2011, 23:51
How do you find out what ubr you're on?

kalleh
12-06-2011, 00:15
tools.virginmedia.com

Peter_
12-06-2011, 00:30
How do you find out what ubr you're on?

---------- Post added at 00:30 ---------- Previous post was at 00:29 ----------

tools.virginmedia.com
Or simply click the connection link at the top of the page as it is much quicker.:D

eckuk
12-06-2011, 12:28
Yeah the Uddingston area is rubbish for VM. I've got a thread on their forums that goes something like 4 or 5 months long, complaining about issues that still arise at times. They even had the cheek to send me an old piece of crap modem with a Superhub instruction page crumpled into the envelope. I've been with VM since it was VM. I pay £37 per month just for 20Mb and that's with a phone line. I feel like I'm being **** on but there's no point changing ISP really.

callummackenzie
12-06-2011, 19:49
Its working again, but my 30 meg is operation at about 5 meg. Not traffic managed or anything its just terrible tbh.