PDA

View Full Version : Practical information on installation for Broadband

seeker
10-06-2011, 14:46
I am in an area than can offer broadband by fibre but have always used virgin adsl connection through the BT home telephone line. Recent speed issues and reliability are making me think about a switch to fibre.
I have looked on the web and am finding it difficult to find any info relating to what cables are installed and where for broadband only. I am very picky about cables showing currently there are no visible cables anywhere in my house except from plugs etc and i will not allow a broadband install to change this.
I dont mind doing any of the work myself if i get the result i want even by digging a trench and supplying a u/g pipe for the incomming cable if needed and lifting floorboards.
anyway can anyone tell me what cable enters from the public footpath and where this is jointed and what type of cable it will be? can it be fibre all the way to the router? If anyone has a sketch of this that can be posted and showing the cable types it really would be appreciated. pictures replace a 1000 words in my mind.
thanks

paul

ccarmock
11-06-2011, 15:03
VM will run a siamese cable (basically a Coax coupled with a tube to hold some telephone wire) from the duct in the road to the front of your house. They'll install a small box there. From that box there will be a thin black phone wire run to where you want the telephone point, and a black coax cable to the point where you want the broadband service.

If your run pipes underground in your garden and conduits under the floor or install draw strings for them to pull the cable through they'll be delighted I am sure and happy to use those.