PDA

View Full Version : A novice bread Maker..

sczoo19
07-06-2011, 14:31
Hello all, just purchased a Bread Maker as I am fed up of running low and going to the shop all the time and come out with more than just bread!
so I have brought a machine!

I want to make the most simplest loaf possible?
im not fussy by all means, breads bread to me!!
Could someone please tell me the most simplest recipe what I would need to buy?

I have looked online and they have really strange ingredients, like lemon?, honey?, pepercorn? Really random stuff..

If anyone could reccomend something for a SIMPLE loaf that would be perfect I'm really eager to start the machine up and have a yummy fresh baked loaf

Thanks ;)

Graham M
07-06-2011, 14:42
Usually they come with a few simple recipes, but there you go.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2060/easy-white-bread

You could try that, a quick Google of Bread Maker Plain White Loaf turned up quite a few

Kymmy
07-06-2011, 14:55
Do a search on Bread Maker within the forum as it has been discussed before

Osem
07-06-2011, 14:59
Buy good strong white flour, be careful with the amount of salt you add and make sure it doesn't come into direct contact with the yeast as this can severely reduce it's effectiveness.

If you like the usual rubbery white sliced loaf be aware that your own bread won't come out anything like it but it should taste a whole lot better. :)

Kymmy
07-06-2011, 15:29
Strong white bread flour is cheap (about 68p in Lidl, Tesco, Sainsburies, Asda) Strong brown is over a pound.

A basic bread for the breadmaker is about 3 cups flour (white/brown or a lot of times I do a mix), level teaspoon salt, couple teaspoons sugar (just to help the yeast) and a satchet of yeast. Only thing to add is about a cup of warm water.

May I suggest you look in the shops for the bread mixes (rye, sunflower, ciabatta, granary..etc) that are smaller packs (about 500+ grams) and just need water.. They'll help you get to terms with the bread maker and how wet/dry the dough should be and also how well it bakes the loaves..

For example here's a Granary mix in asda
http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/products/products.jsp?skuId=60285678&departmentid=1214921923813&aisleid=1214921925099&startValue=

Chris
07-06-2011, 15:34
The basic quantities for the world-beating Panasonic SD-series are

0.5 tsp yeast
400 g strong white flour
1 tbsp milk powder
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
15 g butter
280 ml water

Added in that order, and set on the basic white programme (4 hours). I usually reduce the salt to somewhere aroud 0.75 tsp but I find I need to do that these days as the results can be a little inconsistent otherwise. I don't think that's the breadmaker's fault as such; I have had it for 8 years and it has been used at least 3 times a week (more often 4-5 times a week), every week, during that time.

Before you try any recipes, read your own manual and pay attention to all the general advice about the order you put the ingredients in, how you clean the pan, wait time between loads, etc etc.

peanut
07-06-2011, 15:41
The basic quantities for the world-beating Panasonic SD-series are

Added in that order, and set on the basic white program (4 hours). .

What model number is that for? I only do the 500g version (large) is that for the medium sized loaf, and how does the 4 hour time setting loaf compared to the 1hr 55min version as I've never used any other setting. Is there much difference?

Chris
07-06-2011, 15:46
SD-253.

400g is for the medium loaf and is great on a 4-hour programme; certainly much better than 400g on rapid (1h55m). I find if I'm in a desperate hurry for a loaf I need to use 500g with the rapid programme (and warm, rather than cold, water) just to make sure I get the volume I need from the loaf to feed a family of 5.

At the moment the thing is left on overnight so it produces a 400g loaf by about 6.30 each morning. We put it on the table for our B&B guests and it always goes down a treat.

MadGamer
07-06-2011, 15:54
You can also buy the packet mixes that require you to just add water and oil, which is what we do with ours

peanut
07-06-2011, 15:57
Ah yeah same model, I've never tried warm water either, so I'll give that go next. Thanks for the tip.

I also find using granary flour of any kind and if the bread goes slightly stale it makes the best breadcrumbs (can be frozen or dried to last longer) or for (garlic) croutons. Normal shop bought bread for this is nowhere near as good for these.

Kymmy
07-06-2011, 16:23
When the bread goes stale I thinly slice it, lay it out on a baking tray.. drizzle with oil and then either salt/pepper/garlic/herbs and bake in the oven at about 160c until golden brown.. Yummy crispbreads :D

MadGamer
07-06-2011, 16:47
When the bread goes stale I thinly slice it, lay it out on a baking tray.. drizzle with oil and then either salt/pepper/garlic/herbs and bake in the oven at about 160c until golden brown.. Yummy crispbreads :D
I never thought of doing that, thanks for the tip :D

Chris
07-06-2011, 16:58
Stale? Chance would be a fine thing in this house ...

papa smurf
07-06-2011, 18:08
i wonder how many households have a bread maker tucked away in a cupboard never seeing the light of day .i have one that never gets used, i do make my own bread but do it by hand these days, i think its better than the bread machine version and its quite therapeutic kneading the dough .

denphone
07-06-2011, 18:11
No l would rather buy a nice unsliced loaf and have spread some lovely butter and jam on it.

Chris
07-06-2011, 18:14
I've never been able to get hand-made bread to rise as well as it does in the machine. I don't think I've ever had time to prove it twice though. I certainly don't these days that's for sure. While our b&b guests all love the fresh bread on the table in the morning, one or two of them seem surprised that it's not hand made. I have to point out that, much as I am dedicated to their comfort and enjoyment, it doesn't extend to kneading dough at 4am. :D

denphone
07-06-2011, 18:18
I've never been able to get hand-made bread to rise as well as it does in the machine. I don't think I've ever had time to prove it twice though. I certainly don't these days that's for sure. While our b&b guests all love the fresh bread on the table in the morning, one or two of them seem surprised that it's not hand made. I have to point out that, much as I am dedicated to their comfort and enjoyment, it doesn't extend to kneading dough at 4am. :D

No you must be on here at that time of the morning.:D;):D

Kymmy
07-06-2011, 18:45

I rarely use the breadmaker to bake the bread, but do use it all the time to knead and do the first rise of the dough

Pauls9
08-06-2011, 09:40
Following recommendations on here, I bought the Panny SD-256 to replace a well-used Kenwood.

Working from home today, so had time to enjoy a lovely slice with butter and marmalade instead of rushing down cornflakes as usual. Mmmm

To to OP: You should have a handbook with the breadmaker which lists lots of recipes to get you going. Perhaps you could contact the manufacturer?