PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Router keeps freezing - no access to admin page via ethernet..

lordy
06-06-2011, 23:03
I'm on 30Mbps ,

About 2-3 times a day router locks up, and everything dies on it (wireless, internet, admin page via ethernet ). Lights are on, but nobody home.

Shall I just get a new one from Virgin, or get them to put the old router back on (trouble was I think it can only do 20Mbps)

The "helpdesk" said there was a problem in the SE26 area (I'm in Bromley).
But why that would kill the entire router - I dont know..

My current Superhub info

Standard Specification CompliantEU DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware Version2.00
Software VersionV5.5.2R26
CM CertificateInstalled

craigj2k12
06-06-2011, 23:14
yeah the superhub is known to do this, in my opinion you should ask for another one and if thats the same then you could revert to 20mb, there is also the bridge mode on the way soon which will allow you to use the superhub as a standalone modem, with your own router so you could always wait if the next one doesnt work straight away

Fspiders
07-06-2011, 00:55
If it's 3 blue lights it's knackered

interox
07-06-2011, 02:21
Tagging myself onto this thread, the recent free CODBO weekend peaked my interest so I downloaded it via steam. However when starting the game and browsing for servers it killed my superhub with the exact same symptoms as the OP. Only a hard reset would fix it.
I'm on 100meg service and other than the issue here it's been flawless. Only CODBO causes this, my uptime has been superb prior to this.

lordy
07-06-2011, 11:43
Ive followed advice elsewhere and offloaded all functions to another router (DDwrt DIR-615) via DMZ.
To be honest I think the 'super'hub , became more generally unstable after I enabled the 5Ghz Wireless (might just be a co-incidence), even though I use an Ethernet cable for work, the wireless card from my laptop was still connecting but mostly idle.

Virgin are sending a new one, but I may not bother to put it on unless they blacklist my current mac.

craigj2k12
07-06-2011, 11:54
Ive followed advice elsewhere and offloaded all functions to another router (DDwrt DIR-615) via DMZ.
To be honest I think the 'super'hub , became more generally unstable after I enabled the 5Ghz Wireless (might just be a co-incidence), even though I use an Ethernet cable for work, the wireless card from my laptop was still connecting but mostly idle.

Virgin are sending a new one, but I may not bother to put it on unless they blacklist my current mac.

youll have to ring up to activate the new one, and they will only deactivate the old one when you do this, it wont get "blacklisted"

lordy
07-06-2011, 11:56
OK that what happened when I went from 20mb to 30mb though :)
My internet suddenly stopped working and the next day the 'superhub' arrived!

kwikbreaks
07-06-2011, 12:02
If it's 3 blue lights it's knackered
I think VM only consider it knackered if none come on at all otherwise it's your kit that's at fault.

Fspiders
07-06-2011, 15:05
They changed mine when all 3 lights were blue (with or without kit connected) as I'd basically melted the bugger switching it off and on hundreds of times

kwikbreaks
07-06-2011, 15:09
:)

Mines behind the sofa so I run it on a radio control socket....

Neo-Tech
07-06-2011, 19:22
Radio control socket?

Mick Fisher
07-06-2011, 19:52
:)

Mines behind the sofa so I run it on a radio control socket....
:LOL:
The things you have to do to keep VM's kit functioning.

I used to do a similar thing with a clockwork timer set to make sure the CATV box rebooted itself twice a day.

Then I got sensible and got Sky TV. Since then TV has just "worked".

kwikbreaks
08-06-2011, 08:16
Radio control socket?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Status-3-Remote-Controlled-Sockets/dp/B003XOXAVG

Most supermarkets sell these or similar.

Neo-Tech
08-06-2011, 09:39
Wow, LOL. The lengths you have to go to, to make things easier when it shouldn't be a problem in the first place.

kwikbreaks
08-06-2011, 10:16
To be fair if it wasn't plugged in behind the sofa I wouldn't need the remote and could just switch the socket off and on again manually. As the firmware doesn't include a reboot option I'd probably use the remote even if it was stable.

Of course if it was a more normal wall mountable size and layout like all the ADSL routers I've ever used and without lights that look like we are being visited by aliens I may have put it somewhere else.

craigj2k12
08-06-2011, 12:33
if it had a reboot on the config menu, you would still be buggered when the thing locks down and refuses to even load the config screen