PDA

View Full Version : Male pattern baldness

Russ
06-06-2011, 19:58
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13665321

Each to their own, but this bit caught my attention:

Actor James Nesbitt......maintained that it has changed his life and that anyone who says going bald isn't horrible "is lying".

Utter horse poo. I went bald at 21 and although it took me about 5 or 6 years to fully accept it, I much prefer being able to shave my head every week or so and not have to worry about how it looks in the morning, or how much my next haircut/bottle of shampoo/tube of gel will cost.

In 2003 I starred in a Channel 4 documentary about men who go bald prematurely and I met people who had spent a lot of money of hair loss treatments, one guy spent £14,000 on hair transplants.

If you've got money and it'll make you happy then why not. But really, people think we'd all jump at the chance to regrow our hair? No way.

martyh
06-06-2011, 20:04
Doesn't worry me in the slightest ,i've been shaving my head for at least 15 yrs

danielf
06-06-2011, 20:04
As someone with (decreasing amounts of) hair, I can't remember ever being worried about how much my next haircut/bottle of shampoo/tube of gel will cost. :confused:

Phil-ntl
06-06-2011, 20:06
people think we'd all jump at the chance to regrow our hair?

I started losing mine @ 17. By the time I hit 30 I looked like a Polo mint, now the wrong side of 40 and the center parting now reaches from ear to ear. I started shaving the lot off by the time i reached 21 and tbh, even if I had the money to throw at it, I wouldn't

I didn't find it horrible in the slightest, in fact, once a week with the old mach 3 makes life so much easier.

I actually think now that i'd look a right pillock with a full head of hair again.

Bald and proud of it :p:

Phil

Maggy
06-06-2011, 20:21
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13665321

Each to their own, but this bit caught my attention:

Utter horse poo. I went bald at 21 and although it took me about 5 or 6 years to fully accept it, I much prefer being able to shave my head every week or so and not have to worry about how it looks in the morning, or how much my next haircut/bottle of shampoo/tube of gel will cost.

In 2003 I starred in a Channel 4 documentary about men who go bald prematurely and I met people who had spent a lot of money of hair loss treatments, one guy spent £14,000 on hair transplants.

If you've got money and it'll make you happy then why not. But really, people think we'd all jump at the chance to regrow our hair? No way.

But Russ the issue for James Nesbit has to be the fact that he is an actor and I can imagine early baldness for an actor can lead to less choice in acting parts.Surely it's no worse than an actress getting her assets repositioned and a few wrinkles removed.

LondonRoad
06-06-2011, 20:29
But Russ the issue for James Nesbit has to be the fact that he is an actor and I can imagine early baldness for an actor can lead to less choice in acting parts.Surely it's no worse than an actress getting her assets repositioned and a few wrinkles removed.

There would be even less choice of parts for an actress with early baldness;)

joglynne
06-06-2011, 21:03
There would be even less choice of parts for an actress with early baldness;)

I suspect that she would actually be able to get a fair bit of work as she would get "character" roles. A lot of female actors find that once the first flush of youth has disappeared they fall into a dark hole unless they look interesting enough to play character roles or look old enough to fill the "mature" woman role. Plus actors often wear wigs to achieve the right look so thinning or non-existent hair need not be a problem.

Russ
06-06-2011, 21:05
But Russ the issue for James Nesbit has to be the fact that he is an actor and I can imagine early baldness for an actor can lead to less choice in acting parts.

Think you've missed my point....

LondonRoad
06-06-2011, 21:12
I suspect that she would actually be able to get a fair bit of work as she would get "character" roles. A lot of female actors find that once the first flush of youth has disappeared they fall into a dark hole unless they look interesting enough to play character roles or look old enough to fill the "mature" woman role. Plus actors often wear wigs to achieve the right look so thinning or non-existent hair need not be a problem.

Yes. I just googled parts for hairless ladies:shocked::shocked:

Maggy
06-06-2011, 22:27
Think you've missed my point....

Which is that you are happy?Well I got that ok and I agree with you.I'm pointing out why not everyone will be and referencing Nesbit because you specifically quoted him..

So how I missed the point I'm not sure..:confused:

Russ
06-06-2011, 22:50
Read it again. He says anyone who is bald that says they're ok with it is lying, as if all of us are desperate to get our hair back.

Maggy
07-06-2011, 08:53
Read it again. He says anyone who is bald that says they're ok with it is lying, as if all of us are desperate to get our hair back.

Yeah well he's just guilty of being vain enough to think he speaks for all..and that is down partly to being an actor relying heavily on looks to get by.;)

I wouldn't give much thought to actors myself..they seldom seem to be in touch with reality..:)

techguyone
07-06-2011, 12:22
I wouldn't go so far as to say 'I'm desperate to get my hair back'

I would however say, 'If I were given a choice to be bald or not bald', I know which one I'd pick...'

Sadly, that choice isn't available, and its been made for me.

grandmaster
07-06-2011, 12:43
I'm bald and have come to accept it, I can still remember making the decision to shave it all of and live with it.
I wished I had shaved it off sooner after I had done it..

Welshchris
07-06-2011, 20:44
I started to get a receeding hairline aged 23. Im now 29 and very thin on top and also starting to get a few greys in my beard and sideburns and it doesnt bother me.

I have a friend who lost his hair totally while in Uni aged 19.

Stephen
07-06-2011, 20:50
I started to loss my hair in 2002 when 21. Now I'm fine with it. I have clippers and give my self a 1 all over every couple of weeks.

Much easier, no drying or brushing/styling needed :) a bottle of shampoo lasts me months as well hehe.

Welshchris
07-06-2011, 21:00
I started to loss my hair in 2002 when 21. Now I'm fine with it. I have clippers and give my self a 1 all over every couple of weeks.

Much easier, no drying or brushing/styling needed :) a bottle of shampoo lasts me months as well hehe.

problem i have is i suffer badly from Psoriasis including that in the scalp so cutting hair very short for me isnt an option.