PDA

View Full Version : Cherries....

Osem
02-06-2011, 23:14
Looks like we're in for another bumper crop of cherries this year and I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas (polite of course :) ) what we could do with them.

They are Morellos and normally we eat some fresh but cook/freeze the rest to have with the yougurt we make or in smoothies, on desserts etc. Anyone got any nice recipes?

Kymmy
02-06-2011, 23:23
I've got a glut of Strawberries this year.. What we love to do with them is a simple cake..

Buy a couple packs of cheap Sponge mix and bake each separately to directions in a 7-8inch tin. Leave both to cool.

Destone the cherries and add a few tablespoons of sugar to a pan and heat until the sugar/juice is all bubbly and any liquid has thickened then leave to cool.. Whip a carton of double cream till stiff. Layer in the following order.. One sponge, spread the cream, spoon on the cherries and add the second sponge.. Dust with icing sugar and it'll serve about 6-8 people.

You can do it for any summer fruit.

Also we cook and then put the fruit in a blender before placing in ice cube trays.. we use a couple in a glass of lemonade.. A nice and very tasty summer drink

Chris
02-06-2011, 23:31
I am *definitely* coming down to your house for tea. :drool:

Scrubbs
02-06-2011, 23:33
Looks like we're in for another bumper crop of cherries this year and I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas (polite of course :) ) what we could do with them.

They are Morellos and normally we eat some fresh but cook/freeze the rest to have with the yougurt we make or in smoothies, on desserts etc. Anyone got any nice recipes?

wine?

Maggy
02-06-2011, 23:55

Sadly there seems to be a shortage here and what's available are sour and expensive.:(

joglynne
03-06-2011, 14:12
We have a cherry tree and this year it's overflowing with the dang things. Never been a problem in the past but this year we have a cat who loves playing with any cherries he finds that still have a stalk attached.

Pale green carpets and squishy morello cherries are not a match made in heaven. :(

Oh forgot to add that Morello Jam is a very tasty way of preserving some of your surplus cherries.

http://www.cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-0p3261.html

haydnwalker
03-06-2011, 15:19
You could try a Cherry Pie or Cherry Crumble? Yummy with Custard :)

Osem
03-06-2011, 15:21
Thanks for the suggestions everyone - all now under consideration by the other half.......

:tu:

Hom3r
03-06-2011, 19:28
My mum would buy Cherries but they cost a small fortune.

We saw some yesterday and they worked ot to roughly 22p each (thats right 22 PENCE EACH 4/5 FOR A POUND).

Osem
03-06-2011, 23:29
My mum would buy Cherries but they cost a small fortune.

We saw some yesterday and they worked ot to roughly 22p each (thats right 22 PENCE EACH 4/5 FOR A POUND).

Tell you what, we'll do her a discount - how about 20p each??.... :D

sczoo19
04-06-2011, 14:52
Try a cherry cheese cake yummy!
and just to let you know cherries are half price down Tesco!
just got back from there!

yummy!!