PDA

View Full Version : moving house - taking over Virgin broadband

fjweaver
02-06-2011, 08:40
Hi
I'm moving into rented accomodation at the weekend and the owner has got virgin broadband with a wifi router which I'd like to use with my PC. I currently have internet with Pipex over a phone line

She doesn't seem to know much about it (nor do I ...) - I'm guessing I need to get a wireless dongle - but presumably there will be some Virgin software to install and a login/password, which she has no recollection of!

Can anyone tell me what i need to do, and what to tell her to provide me with

Many thanks
Frank

Nopanic
02-06-2011, 08:49
You need a wireless device to pick up the wireless signal from her router (dongle) and her wireless username and password that she will have setup, or if not will be written on the router.

VM will not have any details to of her wireless login .. The modem / router depending on what she has, is the log in for VM, no username or password required.

pip08456
02-06-2011, 08:50
No virgin software to install. There will be an SSID and password for the wireless though.

IIRC it should be on a label on the router if it's beern left at it's default settings.

Nopanic
02-06-2011, 09:11
You need a wireless device to pick up the wireless signal from her router (dongle) and her wireless username and password that she will have setup, or if not will be written on the router.

VM will not have any details to of her wireless login .. The modem / router depending on what she has, is the log in for VM, no username or password required.

No virgin software to install. There will be an SSID and password for the wireless though.

IIRC it should be on a label on the router if it's beern left at it's default settings.

They're not really your ideas if you just copy the post above you :D

MovedGoalPosts
02-06-2011, 09:54
Virgin broadband is usually provided via cable and somewhere in the property will be a modem, probably next to the wifi router. If the installation has been provided in the last few months then the modem and router may possibly be combined.

Your current pipex internet is, assuming it is classed as a broadband service, ADSL over the phone line. Depending on the age you may be plugging the modem directly into your computer by USB (oldest systems) or you may have a modem/router combined allowing you to connect a network port on the computer to the router using an ethernet cable.

If you continue with the VM broadband you will need to connect to the cable system using ethernet cable if you go wired, or if you want to use the wireless router then you will need a wireless network port on the computer. Most laptops have wireless built in so it's just a case of activating. You can get wireless adaptors for a desktop computer , or laptop, that connect by USB. A good computer shop can help you choose something suitable.

If you are living exclusively at the property, i.e. your landlady will not be resident you should be contacting VM so that the service is put into your name. That will enable you to report faults, or get service (speeds) changed if needed.

Connecting to VM does not usually need a password into the modem. The modem is coded to link to the service into the property. Thus if you connect the PC direct to the modem by ehternet you will not need a password. But you do need to reboot (power off then back on) the modem when you change the connected device.

If you use the router, and plug ethernet to it and your PC again you will not need a password. If you use wireless you need to know the password that your landloady has set in the wireless router to be able to set your wireless connection software.

pip08456
02-06-2011, 10:35
Oh Yeh!:D