PDA

View Full Version : PAC codes

Hom3r
01-06-2011, 21:20
I'm looking at getting a HTC Desire S on a contract (300 text, 300 mins Unlimited data and I pay £100 for the phone and I then pay £15 pm)

I have the option to keep my Orange PAYG number, but as I get a crap signal & the above contact is T-mobile, I'm looking at get the PAC code from Orange, I get this from an orange store or would I have to phone them.

How long will Orange take to send me it (does it come in the post, email or text?)

But as I get every now and then a 'Inactive sim' message, then the phone reboots. Should I try and get orange to replace/sort this out, or just get a new number from T-mobile?

BenMcr
01-06-2011, 21:27
You shouldn't need to worry

You should get a new SIM along with the new phone as you swapping networks

Normally easiest way to get the PAC is to phone and go to the 'Leaving Us' option. They should advise you of the code on the phone

devilincarnate
01-06-2011, 21:32
You will receive a new sim card and when the number is ported over, It will be to the new sim card and not the old sim. The old sim will become inactive, so you will need to make sure if you have got numbers saved on the old sim is to transfer them?

Hom3r
01-06-2011, 21:38
I'm not sure if the error is a phone or sim issue, so I need to think about getting the PAC or get a new which will come with the phone unless I transfer the number (then the agro of telling people my new number.)

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:35 ----------

You will receive a new sim card and when the number is ported over, It will be to the new sim card and not the old sim. The old sim will become inactive, so you will need to make sure if you have got numbers saved on the old sim is to transfer them?

Would this come with the phone, even if the phone would be delivered next day?

devilincarnate
01-06-2011, 21:44
I'm not sure if the error is a phone or sim issue, so I need to think about getting the PAC or get a new which will come with the phone unless I transfer the number (then the agro of telling people my new number.)

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:35 ----------

Would this come with the phone, even if the phone would be delivered next day?

Yes there will be a new sim card in the box of the phone.

Hom3r
01-06-2011, 21:49
So that would mean that the company has the abiltiy to program sim cards.

BenMcr
01-06-2011, 22:16
So that would mean that the company has the abiltiy to program sim cards.No that's not how it works

The SIM will be pre-programed with a T-Mobile telephone number. However they will then route your Orange number onto it once the PAC has been accepted

Hom3r
01-06-2011, 22:37
No that's not how it works

The SIM will be pre-programed with a T-Mobile telephone number. However they will then route your Orange number onto it once the PAC has been accepted

I see, so for example.

I get my PAC code, and order the new phone giving my phone number and PAC.

The phone arrives next day with a sim phone number 01234 567890, which I guess can be used striaght away, a few days later my old number 09876 543210 replaces 01234 567890.

BenMcr
01-06-2011, 22:38
Pretty much yes

devilincarnate
01-06-2011, 22:46
I see, so for example.

I get my PAC code, and order the new phone giving my phone number and PAC.

The phone arrives next day with a sim phone number 01234 567890, which I guess can be used striaght away, a few days later my old number 09876 543210 replaces 01234 567890.

As Benmcr says, but i think when the pac is given the number changes over now in a very short space of time:D

Hom3r
01-06-2011, 22:50
I guess that way any compatability issues with the old sim will then be corrected.

I remember when I upgraded my first PAYG to one that had WAP, the sim had to have this option added.

---------- Post added at 22:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:48 ----------

As Benmcr says, but i think when the pac is given the number changes over now in a very short space of time:D

So my old number should be ready when it arrives?

devilincarnate
01-06-2011, 22:54
So my old number should be ready when it arrives?

No it will not as you will need to give the new service provider the new sim card number along with the pac code. So they will be able to transfer the number to the correct sim card.

Should have made this more clear for you:erm:

Hom3r
01-06-2011, 22:54
Thanks guys.

Hom3r
01-06-2011, 22:57
No it will not as you will need to give the new service provider the new sim card number along with the pac code. So they will be able to transfer the number to the correct sim card.

Should have made this more clear for you:erm:

The site I used ask if you wanted to keep your old number and ask for that plus the pac code, so I guess they will do the work for you?

This is the site

http://www.buymobilephones.net/

devilincarnate
Thanks guys.

Let us know how you get on:D And if and when it is all up and running for you as well:D

BenMcr
So my old number should be ready when it arrives?It's now one working day

OFCOM guidance on the process is here http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/files/2010/07/Transferring_Mobile_Guide.pdf

devilincarnate
01-06-2011, 22:59
The site I used ask if you wanted to keep your old number and ask for that plus the pac code, so I guess they will do the work for you?

This is the site

http://www.buymobilephones.net/

Yes they will organise this but it may take longer as it is a 3rd party company and not the official provider :erm: This is due to they have to work between the 2 providers.

BenMcr
01-06-2011, 23:00
Can't you put the PAC directly into a providers website?

AndyCambs
02-06-2011, 06:40

I think its something you call the new provider with after purchase. The only exception is Vodafone which require the PAC code at the time of purchase or they can't migrate your old number. There is a reason, and I can't remember it.

Hom3r
02-06-2011, 07:59

yeah I can, when I clicked the phone I wanted it opened a screen which asked did you want to keep your old number, it said that you would need you PAC code.

So from that I guess they would sort it out for you.

But I thinking about keeping my old phone for emergencies plus Orange Wednesday :D

chris9991
02-06-2011, 08:35
I might be dumb here but if you move from Orange to T-Mobile are you not going to have the same reception issues as they are now the same company and share their networks?

BenMcr
02-06-2011, 10:19
Possibly not. I believe they currently only share the network for 2G and Voice and then only if you get no signal on your 'home' network.

It's certainly not seemless, which is why Virgin haven't done it yet.

Hom3r
02-06-2011, 12:36
I might be dumb here but if you move from Orange to T-Mobile are you not going to have the same reception issues as they are now the same company and share their networks?

I used to be on T-mobile PAYG, and had a full signal, but when I changed my phone T-mobile didn't have what I wanted, so I switched.

I will double check my sister what she gets at mine.

chris9991
02-06-2011, 12:59
Fair enough - I just know on my Orange phone, it occasionally switches to T Mobile, so I thoght I'd say somehting

Hom3r
02-06-2011, 19:22
No probs, I too have the Orange/T-mobile link.