PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Superhub Configuration Question

jem
01-06-2011, 13:15
I've just gotten off of the phone to CS arranging to upgrade my V+ to a Tivo box and while doing this I thought I'd see how much it would cost to upgrade my BB connection at the same time.

I've had an absolutely rock-solid 20 Meg connection for some time now with virtually zero downtime and issues, I knew about the upgrade to 30 Meg and oddly enough if I were to go for it my monthly bill would be actually be reduced by £1.50 (go figure) but I've opted to upgrade to 50 Meg at the same time as the Tivo install for only a few pounds more than I'm paying now, as well as the installation fee of course.

Now at the moment I have the standard modem linked to a Linksys wireless router, I am running a Windows Home server so I have a couple of inbound port translation rules on it and a fairly non-standard IP address range. Now I appreciate that I'm going to be given a SuperHub for the 50 Meg and, believe me, I've read all of the threads on this and know exactly how bad some people consider it to be, but I'm happy to give it the benefit of the doubt and see for myself.

Assuming that it works fine for me, what I'd like to know is can I configure it to match the setup on my Linksys? Specifically can it be set to have a LAN address of 172.22.57.126 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.128?-In case anyone is wondering, I had issues forwarding WoL packets to the default broadcast address on the Linksys unless I changed the internal subnet, hence the /25 mask. I have a few machines with static IP addresss and a few with reserved IP addresses allocated via DHCP from the Linksys, presumably the SuperHub's DHCP server can do reservations. Is it true that you can't change the DNS server address allocated to clients on the SuperHub? That'll be annoying but not the end of the world.

Is any or all of the above possible on the Superhub? If it isn't or if I do suffer from issues with it, I can always do the trick of using my existing router as well and DMZing it on the Superhub -double NAT might be a pain to work around- and later on kill the routing functions when the firmware update comes out.

It's not being installed for another two weeks so plenty of time to replan my network if necessary.

Many thanks in advance for any thought's on this.

Sephiroth
01-06-2011, 19:15

Assuming that it works fine for me, what I'd like to know is can I configure it to match the setup on my Linksys? Specifically can it be set to have a LAN address of 172.22.57.126 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.128?-.......
(SEPH): Advanced --> LAN IP allows you to choose the address range.

I have a few machines with static IP addresss and a few with reserved IP addresses allocated via DHCP from the Linksys, presumably the SuperHub's DHCP server can do reservations.
(SEPH): Advanced --> LAN IP allows you to make reservations.

Is it true that you can't change the DNS server address allocated to clients on the SuperHub? That'll be annoying but not the end of the world.
(SEPH): To the best of my nowledge the current SH does not allow you to choose your DNS. My understanding is that VM will provide this in the future - no date known to me

.....If it isn't or if I do suffer from issues with it, I can always do the trick of using my existing router as well and DMZing it on the Superhub -double NAT might be a pain to work around- and later on kill the routing functions when the firmware update comes out.
(SEPH): That's what I'd do anyway. The router functions in the SH are lame IMO.

General Maximus
01-06-2011, 19:18
Although I cant say with absolute certainty whether it would work or not, their is a general concensus that the superhub does not like advanced network configuration and design. Stephen might be the best person to ask though because his is working perfectly apparently :D

AndyCalling
01-06-2011, 19:30
The Superhub should do all you require, except allowing you to change the DNS servers which you must do on the clients instead.

That said, I have not tried WoL but since this is more of an issue for clients than infrastructure I have no reason to imagine a problem with that.

pip08456
01-06-2011, 20:50
I notice you use the should should rather than would!

jem
18-06-2011, 19:17
Well the engineers turned up bang on time. Had to try two TiVo units, the first one seemed to have a faulty smart card reader, second one was all up and running within 30 minutes or so. All fine so far

Had a slight battle with the Superhub though getting it on line, looks like the may have been an issue with the upgrade on my account, but after a couple of restarts (not unusual according to the installer) it finally got online.

However I am unable to set up the ip address range I want, as soon as I try to change the LAN address to 172.22.57.1 it throws up an error message about DHCP. Well I've seen this sort of thing before with routers when trying to set the IP to a different subnet to the existing DHCP range, but generally I can turn DHCP off, change the address, then reconfigure DHCP to match. On the Suberhub though even if I turn DHCP off (and clear existing leases, and reboot it), I still get the same error message.

Any ideas? Please don't tell me that the firmware is locked to a 192.168.0.x subnet? At the moment I've given up and used the DMZ trick to my existing router but I'd like to give the SH the benefit of the doubt and at least give it a try.

Many thanks in advance.

John

AndyCalling
19-06-2011, 03:11
Even if the DHCP is turned off, the router will give an error if it is not set to use the same subnet as the router IP. It shouldn't be a problem, I know, but it is. It's just an over zelous error checking routine I imagine. Just set DHCP to the new subnet first and then set the IP subnet and it should be fine. It was either that or set them both at the same time, but enter the info in the DHCP boxes first. I can't remember which method worked. You can then turn of DHCP if you aren't using it for some reason.

kwikbreaks
19-06-2011, 11:20
Having changed all my hardcoded devices to use the 192.168.0 range when I got the Superhub I've just had to change its base range as I've finally given up on using one as a hub and connected a separate router in the DMZ. I only went to the 192.168.20 range but don't recall any problem doing it. All the hub has in its config now is an IP reservation and DMZ specified for the router.

I got WoL working using LogMeIn for a single device (my laptop) by having it on a fixed IP and forwarding port 9 UDP to it specifically. You can't forward to the port 255 on the Superhub which I think is what is needed to be able to WoL more than one specific device. I'm pretty sure the router I'm currently using, the VM freebie WNR2000, was working for WoL OK when I was on 20Mbps with a separate modem but it doesn't seem to want to work now - I'll see if forwarding 9 UDP on it works.

It didn't. Now for something really silly - what if I forward UDP 9 to the router evn though it is already in the DMZ?

That didn't work either. On reflection I think I only used the WNR2000 for a short time and switched to a Buffalo running Tomato firmware. Maybe low-end Netgear kit has an aversion to passing on magic packets. If I get the VMNG300 I requested from the CEO office I'll get a better router. If not I'll probably wait and see what the R27 firmware brings as the WNR2000 is only a small step up on the Superhub and using the two in tandem has significantly increased latency which may mess with my VOIP.

jem
20-06-2011, 12:15
Thanks for the replies, unfortunately I still don't seem to be able to configure the device to just the way I want it.

In Advanced Config/Lan IP configuration it does allow me to change the IP address to 172.22.57.1 and the subnet mask to be 255.255.255.128 but as soon as I hit apply it gives me the DHCP error. It won't let me change the DHCP allocation range (I want it to run 172.22.57.30 - 59 with a /25 mask) but the only thing it seems to let me change is the last octet for the DHCP range.

I did think that based on every other router I've configured which had a similar situation, if I disabled DHCP, then applied changes, then change the LAN IP address and apply changes again, it would then change the DHCP range to be on the new subnet. But even with DHCP apparently disabled as soon as I try to change the LAN address, I get the same error message about it not being in the same subnet as the DHCP server (what DHCP server, I've just disabled it!!!!).

Anyhow, I'm running it with my exisiting Linksys router in the DMZ and passing all traffic to it. It's all working fine, download speed is stable at about 47 Mb/s which is fair enough, upload speed is still pathetic but my area hasn't had the uplift yet. So really I should leave it all alone but I really wanted to reduce the number of devices had and also give the SH the benefit of the doubt, what with all of the threads complaining about it's performance and see if it really is as bad as some people have said.

General Maximus
20-06-2011, 18:43
it's so sad to think that your linksys can handle that configuration effortlessly (with dhcp enabled as well) yet the most menial of tasks seem to make the superhub have a heart attack