PDA

View Full Version : Adverts warn to insure your parked car

Welshchris
26-05-2011, 20:33
Motorists are being warned that from 20 June they must insure all vehicles even if kept in the garage. The Continuous Insurance Enforcement law will make it an offence to keep an uninsured vehicle, rather than just to drive when uninsured. It looks like a con trick by insurers to make more money. It will not stop criminals driving with no insurance.

Full Story here...

http://www.dailyfinance.co.uk/2011/05/23/adverts-warn-to-insure-your-parked-car/

Gary L
26-05-2011, 20:45
It's actually that you have to declare it SORN if it's not being used on the road. if you don't SORN it then they'll assume that it's being driven. and fine you accordingly.

although it is annoying to know that this step enforces the view that they really haven't got a clue whether a car has insurance unless they check it out by means of ANPR or PNC checks.

if they wanted to decrease the crime then they would give us something to display in the window like you do with a tax disc.

and I bet a lot and a lot of people will think that they have to insure a car they never use. and the insurers that they call won't tell them that they don't have to and should SORN it instead.
even after you answer the question of it doing 0 miles a year.

BenMcr
26-05-2011, 21:20
It's actually that you have to declare it SORN if it's not being used on the road. if you don't SORN it then they'll assume that it's being driven. and fine you accordingly.Surely that just closes the loop. If you don't tax a vehicle you have to declare it SORN already

---------- Post added at 21:20 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

and I bet a lot and a lot of people will think that they have to insure a car they never use. and the insurers that they call won't tell them that they don't have to and should SORN it instead.
even after you answer the question of it doing 0 miles a year.Why would you tax, but not insure a car you don't use?

Gary L
26-05-2011, 21:30
Surely that just closes the loop. If you don't tax a vehicle you have to declare it SORN already

and if you don't SORN it then you have to have it insured.
there's probably many examples of cars that haven't been used for a long time and they weren't expected to be SORN. this catches them ones out.

and it makes somebody money because of how misleading it sounds about cars that are off the road have to be insured.

Why would you tax, but not insure a car you don't use?

I think you're missing the point. someone with no insurance can hide that fact from anyone looking. they usually want a valid tax disc for the people looking.
but I meant if it's displayed like a tax disc then everyone that didn't know otherwise before, will know from looking whether you are actually insured. and probably report them.

actually I don't understand the question.

Kymmy
26-05-2011, 21:40
I like the method they have in some countries where the cost of fuel has 3rd party insurance built in.. Hence the more you drive the more you pay.. some also have road tax on fuel as well. That way only the bilkers can get away with it and even they tend to get caught..

Gary L
26-05-2011, 21:46
That way only the bilkers can get away with it

How's that?
they get free petrol?

and even they tend to get caught..

Caught what?
if buying petrol means you're covered for tax and insurance?

Kymmy
26-05-2011, 22:17
BILKERS (not sure if you think I meant bikers) = People who fill up and then don;t pay for petrol.. Hence if you included tax and 3rd party insurance on fuel only a bilker could get away with it, but they tend to get caught and when caught they could be charged with theft, no tax and no insurance ;)

Gary L
27-05-2011, 09:25
Oops. I swear it read bikers when I read it :)

Lew
27-05-2011, 13:43
Should've gone to Specsavers.

rogerdraig
27-05-2011, 13:55
it also means that the police dont as they do now have to catch you driving it to get you for the offence

personaly i think its a good move the fewer uninsured cars out there the better

techguyone
28-05-2011, 09:42
I always thought the ANPR cameras (they're usually every few miles) took pics of every car that went past, and cross ref the database?

If not, what's the point of them.

Kymmy
28-05-2011, 09:51
ANPR camera's are not everywhere..

Every few miles?? You sure that you're not getting confused with SPECS average speed system which is a closed system and not part of the ANPR network??

Derek
29-05-2011, 12:59
I always thought the ANPR cameras (they're usually every few miles) took pics of every car that went past, and cross ref the database?

If not, what's the point of them.

The point of them is to check if any of the cars going past have any markers on them that might make them worth a pull. If the car isn't listed as having insurance it still needs a cop to pull it over and check out if it's covered some other way.

Gary L
29-05-2011, 13:14
The point of them is to check if any of the cars going past have any markers on them that might make them worth a pull. If the car isn't listed as having insurance it still needs a cop to pull it over and check out if it's covered some other way.

But if the ANPR camera's are set up then they will have the cops there to follow up the trigger?

I don't see the point of having them in some places (there's a couple before you enter and after you exit the motorway by me) if you drive your uninsured and untaxed car up and down it if there's no cops to sort it out.

rogerdraig
29-05-2011, 20:06
this will lead later i exect to enforcement similar to tax now where failing to renew with out SORNing the car will lead to an automatic fine and or endorsement

Kymmy
29-05-2011, 20:14
Failure Sorn I don't believe is an endorsable offence.. DVLA currenlty send out a warning a couple of weeks after renewal if a vehicle is not taxed or sorn.. (we have about 12 vehicles registered with a lot of them off-road in peices so we sometimes slip up on sorn :D )

Gary L
05-07-2011, 20:16
Just seen the TV ad for this. it's looking like a scam because it's telling you to check whether the car that you've always had off road is insured.

they never really emphasised that you just need to SORN it to be within the rules and legal. they seem to be pushing people to insuring the car.

talk about 'Junk Mail' and the vulnerable. what about the vulnerable car owner?
how many hundreds if not thousands are going to be panicking now and insuring the car that they don't have to. because the TV ad makes it sound like you have to or else?

Hugh
05-07-2011, 20:35
Only those who are a bit dim....

Gary L
05-07-2011, 21:06
Only those who are a bit dim....

Just most of the old and vulnerable then, Hugh?

Hugh
05-07-2011, 22:07
Just most of the old and vulnerable then, Hugh?Strange - my 84 year old mother in law had no problem understanding it; perhaps she wasn't looking for the worst possible misinterpretation?

Gary L
05-07-2011, 22:15
Strange - my 84 year old mother in law had no problem understanding it

She's probably more brighter than the average. there are many exceptions though.

you're lucky she didn't phone up and got it insured, and you didn't have to say "silly mother.. you didn't have to do that. you just have to SORN it not insure it. oh dear, what are you like, eh?"

Kymmy
05-07-2011, 22:19
The directgov website is very clear for a change

The new vehicle insurance law means that the registered keeper of a vehicle must keep it insured unless they've made a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN). If you're not insured and haven't made a SORN, you could face a penalty.

Gary L
05-07-2011, 22:24
Did you see the advert?
it said "you can check if your vehicle is insured on AskMid. the DVLA already has."

There's this video they've done. but it's not the one I saw on the TV.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Video/DG_WP194244

Gary L
08-07-2011, 19:59
Saw it again!

"a vehicle that is not insured and declared off the road"

not "a vehicle that is not insured or declared off the road"