PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Channel for 5GHz

GeoffB
26-05-2011, 16:53
Which channel are you using for 5GHz bandwidth on the Superhub? Are there any that are known to give better performance? I'm on 112 at the moment and it's quite nippy, I must say.

philwhite100
26-05-2011, 18:47
Just a thought on this thread, will any wifi devices that have 80211N work on the 5ghz channel or will i need 5ghz dongles??

telfordcable
26-05-2011, 18:53
it never work on my wi-fi with n support for 5GHz channel

Neo-Tech
26-05-2011, 21:00
Just a thought on this thread, will any wifi devices that have 80211N work on the 5ghz channel or will i need 5ghz dongles??

You'll definitely need a 5GHz dongle to even connect to the network, the SuperHub doesn't have dualband radios so you can't have 2.4GHz and 5GHz simultaneously.

As to the OP, best way to check is download inSSIDer and check for any other channels being used. I highly doubt that there are any 5GHz networks in your area, but the 5GHz spectrum has a lot of space so you don't get interference like on 2.4GHz.

AndyCalling
26-05-2011, 21:01
Not all 'N' devices support 5GHz, but some do. So not everything will need a dongle, but some things will. Also, no 'G' device will support 5GHz so they will all need dongles, and some things just can't get dongles such as Internet Radios and Printers.

Note that you can plug an old wireless cable/ADSL router in to your Superhub to give you both bands at once.

GeoffB
26-05-2011, 21:43
I have a new laptop with a built-in Intel card which supports 5GHz. The problem is that my older lappies won't connect so it's either get the dongles or go back to a slower rate. I tried 5GHz because my new laptop is a long way from the hub and I was getting a poor connection with some dropouts. 5GHz gives a firm connection and good speeds (although the latter are not way better than the default 2GHz). Channel 48 also recommended.

AndyCalling
26-05-2011, 23:20
I have a new laptop with a built-in Intel card which supports 5GHz. The problem is that my older lappies won't connect so it's either get the dongles or go back to a slower rate. I tried 5GHz because my new laptop is a long way from the hub and I was getting a poor connection with some dropouts. 5GHz gives a firm connection and good speeds (although the latter are not way better than the default 2GHz). Channel 48 also recommended.

If you have an old wireless cable router, like the ones supplied by VM before the Superhub came along, or even an old wireless ADSL router, you can connect it to your Superhub as a wireless access point. Then you can have both 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands operating at once. Search for my previous threads to find out how. It works fine for me as I would have the same problem as you otherwise. Except I have devices that cannot use a dongle so I don't even have that option.

Recycle, Reuse, Reduce!

philwhite100
26-05-2011, 23:23
I already have the inssider software installed and it seems my channels are plagued with other users on the same channels and all channels are busy but 5ghz is totally free of any users.
My only niggle is it means having to connect a dongle to a device that's already wifi enabled and where can i get a 5ghz dongle??

AndyCalling
26-05-2011, 23:34
VM, the internet, high street shops, anywhere really. Just check the box or listing to ensure it has 5GHz mode. If you got the Superhub by signing up to or upgrading to 50meg or above you should have received one inclusive from VM. Sadly, 30meg customers will have to buy one.

Matth
27-05-2011, 00:09
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/253028 - Dual band, refurb/recertified with 1yr mfr wty, £17.99 - until 31 May
Pretty good price for a dual band dongle?

AndyCalling
27-05-2011, 02:31
Well, so long as you don't mind a refurb, it seems good. VM sell theirs for
£30.00 if it doesn't come with the package you signed up to.

GeoffB
27-05-2011, 06:20
Will any computer cope with 5GHz if the dongle/card is compliant? One of my laptops is 7 years old (USB1)! Interesting that VM are supposed to supply one dongle free. Nothing said about that when I upgraded. Time for a call to India.

AbyssUnderground
27-05-2011, 12:07
You'll definitely need a 5GHz dongle to even connect to the network, the SuperHub doesn't have dualband radios so you can't have 2.4GHz and 5GHz simultaneously.

As to the OP, best way to check is download inSSIDer and check for any other channels being used. I highly doubt that there are any 5GHz networks in your area, but the 5GHz spectrum has a lot of space so you don't get interference like on 2.4GHz.

I believe you can have both enabled but it switches between them very quickly, significantly slowing down the transfer speeds to allow compatibility.

philwhite100
27-05-2011, 21:06
VM, the internet, high street shops, anywhere really. Just check the box or listing to ensure it has 5GHz mode. If you got the Superhub by signing up to or upgrading to 50meg or above you should have received one inclusive from VM. Sadly, 30meg customers will have to buy one.

Thanks for that. I already had the 50meg and just got the Superhub at my own request some 12 months later so i guess i don't qualify for a free dongle.

EDIT.. looking at broadband page on the VM website it says a Wireless N Adaptor is free to 50 and 100meg users but it does not state it as being dual band so any ideas??

AndyCalling
28-05-2011, 01:24
The VM dongle is dual band, I have one as I upgraded to 50meg since the Superhub came out. If you don't qualify for a free one, you can click on the option for upgrading your broadband service and selecting the 'N' dongle under broadband accessories for £30. Or buy one from somewhere else.

Sephiroth
28-05-2011, 21:53
All 5GHz channels are non-overlapping. There is no 5GHz channel that is better than any other.

Hugh
29-05-2011, 12:49
Off topic posts removed.

Can I remind posters that any further public discussion of moderator or Admin actions or decisions will lead to infractions, as laid out in Cable Forum Terms & Conditions (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/about/21/terms-and-conditions) Section 3, para 6.