PDA

View Full Version : VM 'Hub' - Should I - Shouldn't I?

pgnl
25-05-2011, 14:27
I recently complained to VM about a certain issue (as you do..) and by way of placating me, they offered me the VMDG280 'Hub' for free (not the superhub, I'm on BBL 10mb). It arrived today.

I've been with VM BB since 2001 and have had few technical problems in that time, I currently have a Scientific Atlanta (Cisco) EPC2100 modem and a Buffalo router I bought myself. It all works very well and speeds are always at the top end of the range - unless STM kicks in..

I've read on the web, all sorts of horror stories about the VMDG280.

So tell me is it worth connecting it up or am I unleashing a load of problems for myself! I know once done there is no going back..

I aslo know I can daisy chain the VMDG280 with my current router using specific settings, but wonder if it's worth the hassle. After all it was free...

Patrick

kwikbreaks
25-05-2011, 14:31
There is an old adage which may be applicable here but as you didn't say what the issue you had was I can't say for sure...

If it ain't broke don't fix it

pgnl
25-05-2011, 14:37
Exactly, but it's sitting there begging to be plugged in :-) - my complaint wasn't to do with my BB or my V+, it was their pricing policy.

They sent me a letter telling me ' for a little bit extra per month' I could upgrade to 30Mb, when I rang they said it would be £16pm month, I was understandably furious.... It's because all of their mailings assume you have a phone line with them I don't, and it gets on my t****.

Patrick

kwikbreaks
25-05-2011, 16:48
What advantage do you think it offers over and above the modem+router you already have? The chances are that the router you have will do a much better job than the router section in the hub.

Mick Fisher
25-05-2011, 20:19
I had a media hub on 20 meg and had no problems with it at all. :)

My problems started when I upped to 30meg and had to use the superhub. I solved most of the s/hub issues by changing it's settings so it effectively became a mediahub, wireless mode to 145 for instance, there were some other things but I can't remember offhand.

Providing you can make do with relatively basic router features you will probably find the mediahub to be rock solid. I did. :)

jb66
25-05-2011, 20:24
The regular hub is actually not bad, wireless strength is questionable but it's very stable

pgnl
25-05-2011, 20:35
People are understandably quick to moan when things don't work, I was hoping there might be a few positive comments, so thanks. :)

While there really isn't much benefit to me to hook it up and get it activated, it does seem pointless just leaving it in its box.

Patrick

Aser
27-05-2011, 01:18
The vmdg280 hub is garbage. It has poor wireless signal strength, very low data throughput rates even with strong signal, and it is not at all stable.

Peter_
27-05-2011, 07:15
The EPC2100 is more than sufficient for a 10Mb connection so no real need to swap over, but if you are curious you could try it and if unhappy ask for it to be swapped back to the original modem which you will still have.

Nopanic
27-05-2011, 07:40
There is an old adage which may be applicable here but as you didn't say what the issue you had was I can't say for sure...

Agreed, don't swap it .. stick with what you know works.

HeySteve
30-05-2011, 22:53
ive had the hub for almost a year now and not had any major problems with it. The only ones i have come across are poor wireless strength ( only affects me when im in the garden, around the house is fine ) and when you are transferring alot of data through it ie when moving big files between my laptop and NAS ive found that the wireless just drops off and wont let anything connect to it until the file transfer is over

Nopanic
31-05-2011, 07:32
ive had the hub for almost a year now and not had any major problems with it. The only ones i have come across are poor wireless strength ( only affects me when im in the garden, around the house is fine ) and when you are transferring alot of data through it ie when moving big files between my laptop and NAS ive found that the wireless just drops off and wont let anything connect to it until the file transfer is over

I'd assume you're just maxing out the router .. ?? Not really a fault ...

kingwahwah
14-06-2011, 13:28

So true.

30 minutes ago I had a vmdg280 to replace NTL120/Linksys WAG120N.
Internet was down. They insisted i replace modem. But then found a street problem. I continued with modem replacement as NTL120 does lock up once a day and wanted to one for all device (linksys runs hot, new home IT lab so want less plugs).

Its fighting me all the way not to mention the horror stories on the forums.

Cannot change LAN subnet/mask/DHCP range. I have 10+ PCs and virtual machines hardcoded to 192.168.1.x!
Can not set DNS.
No bridging (but a workaround).

Looks like i'm back to two devices in 2011.

Edit: as it warms up it smells quite a bit of burning plastic. which is worrying.

kwikbreaks
14-06-2011, 16:19
Cannot change LAN subnet/mask/DHCP range. I have 10+ PCs and virtual machines hardcoded to 192.168.1.x!

I think if you change the guest wireless network IP range then reboot it you'll be able to set it to use 192.168.1.n

I can't confirm that as I didn't realise what the problem probably was until after I changed all my hard coded kit to use 192.168.0.n :(

gobbledigook
14-06-2011, 16:25
i desparatly want 50meg!! But refuse to upgrade until they roll out the "bridge" firmware for the superhub... no bridge mode = no upgrade as far as i'm concerned. i run a third party firmware on my £160 600n, which pretty much means i can do what i like with it
:)

kingwahwah
14-06-2011, 16:50
I think if you change the guest wireless network IP range then reboot it you'll be able to set it to use 192.168.1.n

I can't confirm that as I didn't realise what the problem probably was until after I changed all my hard coded kit to use 192.168.0.n :(

I have the 280. Even with guest wireless enabled and a reboot I dont see where to set a new range.

Or are you saying wireless guest machines get 192.168.1.x. My virtual machines are all hard wired.