PDA

View Full Version : 30M Positive feedback... for a change!

zekeisaszekedoes
25-05-2011, 12:58
In response to some folks who think that CF is all about moaning, well, I'd like to say that isn't always the case.

The tech who just adjusted the power levels on the modem (knocking them down from -58 dBmV on the up to -49 dBmV) arrived within the specified time and was polite, friendly and knowledgeable. Had the job done within ten minutes (cabinet adjustment plus attenuator on the modem) and now the connection is even better. This should sort out the sporadic packet loss spikes I've been seeing on the broadband monitor, sometimes requiring modem & router reboots.

So yeah, between this and the CEO's office, been very impressed with VM's performance. Superhub aside, I think they're a good service provider.

Tech guy did it perfect!!!!1!!11 :angel:

(Side note: yes, you bet the tech started laying into the superhub even before I did. As jb66 has pointed out, they cause a lot of extra callouts because of the amount of problems they currently have.)

TJS
25-05-2011, 13:08
Tech guy did it perfect!!!!1!!11 :angel:

LOL

Also; was it just your upstream power levels that needed adjusting or the downstream ones to? (not 100% sure how this works yet :dozey:)

Nopanic
25-05-2011, 13:09
(Side note: yes, you bet the tech started laying into the superhub even before I did. As jb66 has pointed out, they cause a lot of extra callouts because of the amount of problems they currently have.)

Clearly all techs hate this device and would happily risk their jobs by telling customers about failure rates :rolleyes:

kwikbreaks
25-05-2011, 13:33
I had the same job done recently and the tech didn't tell me anything about hub problems - all he did when he saw it was roll his eyes and cross himself. :)

This particular job involves moving the tap to a higher gain one in the cab which increases the downstream voltage as well as lowering the upstream needed from the modem and fitting a forward path attenuator to drop the downstream back to an in-spec level.

Although my power levels were fine on 20Mbps and caused problems on 50Mbps I doubt the hub can be blamed for it.

imranm
25-05-2011, 13:33
Clearly all techs hate this device and would happily risk their jobs by telling customers about failure rates :rolleyes:

Certainly the CEOs office don't sound too impressed with the SuperHub atm!

Fspiders
25-05-2011, 14:52
I have to agree, the tech guy who came to me on Monday said he was sick to death of dealing with super hub faults. He put me on the top tap and dropped my upload from 52 to 48 and it's helped considerably as I'm only dropping out a few times a day now compared to 5 times an hour. Seems the closer to 46 on docsis 3 the happier the hub is.

I've never had a problem with VM's service and especially never with the call out guys as they've always been keen to help, reliable and willing to answer my daft questions.

Like you my only problem has been with the super hub.

Regards.

TJS
25-05-2011, 15:15
I have to agree, the tech guy who came to me on Monday said he was sick to death of dealing with super hub faults. He put me on the top tap and dropped my upload from 52 to 48 and it's helped considerably as I'm only dropping out a few times a day now compared to 5 times an hour. Seems the closer to 46 on docsis 3 the happier the hub is.

I've never had a problem with VM's service and especially never with the call out guys as they've always been keen to help, reliable and willing to answer my daft questions.

Like you my only problem has been with the super hub.

Regards.

How can he blame it on a hub fault when your power levels were too high?

kwikbreaks
25-05-2011, 15:52
52 is in spec anyway - it's what mine was dropped to from 58 and my connection doesn't drop (unlike the WiFi).

TJS
25-05-2011, 15:59
52 is in spec anyway - it's what mine was dropped to from 58 and my connection doesn't drop (unlike the WiFi).

Hmm; just from posts i've seen on here people seem to say 50+ is quite high...

Mine at 41.2 dBmV

kwikbreaks
25-05-2011, 16:04
Where's Masque when you need him??? :)

There's a sticky over on the VM Community board produced by Sephiroth. It varies depending on connection type but DOCSIS3 is ok at the level mine is. From memory it says 55 is where you need to think about monitoring it for stability. It's an interesting read for geeks.

Peter_
25-05-2011, 16:57
Modems tend to start having issues once we get above 55/56 and it usually entails sending a technician out to adjust it, and no it is never the modem that causes the power level issues.

zekeisaszekedoes
25-05-2011, 18:35
LOL

Also; was it just your upstream power levels that needed adjusting or the downstream ones to? (not 100% sure how this works yet :dozey:)

Downstream power levels slowly went up after upstream was reduced so I fitted the -6dB attenuator he left. Everything is about where it should be now.

Probably not, it's just that this particular tech disliked it more than I did. I was tempted to hand mine back but it might be useful one day.

I know, and he said he'd like to have dropped the level further but it's kind of a balancing act between my household having good service and everyone else rigged up to the junction box too, and that if my levels were dropped significantly there was a good chance someone elses would spike and then they'd need a callout to adjust that. Luckily the VMNG300 is very robust and wasn't giving me that many problems even when it was pushing 59 dBmV on the upstream.

I should have gone down to the junction box and had a look... apparently some bits in there are Nynex branded! No wonder VM are having problems rolling out 100Mb across all parts of their network...

There's a sticky over on the VM Community board produced by Sephiroth. It varies depending on connection type but DOCSIS3 is ok at the level mine is. From memory it says 55 is where you need to think about monitoring it for stability. It's an interesting read for geeks.

I'd have a browse if someone dropped the link. I like all that stuff. I have no interest in web design particularly, it's more the networking side I want to know more about.

pip08456
25-05-2011, 19:34
Here's (http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-50Mb-broadband/POWER-LEVELS-amp-SNR-A-TECHNICAL-PRIMER/td-p/148072) the link.

jb66
25-05-2011, 20:27
The only time I 'shineyhub bash' to customers is when I'm the second or third tech out to look at their wireless and have to admit what the fault actually is to save a 4th visit or when they ask why they are only getting 35meg

zekeisaszekedoes
25-05-2011, 21:11
Here's (http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-50Mb-broadband/POWER-LEVELS-amp-SNR-A-TECHNICAL-PRIMER/td-p/148072) the link.

Cheers Pip.

Skie
25-05-2011, 21:19
I'll add some positive feedback. The (re-)activations team in the UK are great. :)