PDA

View Full Version : Ford Ka immobilised

graham chalk
24-05-2011, 12:27
I have a ford Ka2 , 1997 registration.
I went for a (long) walk in the local forest (Hamsterley, ironically on my birthday) and lost the only set of keys.
I walked back to retrace my steps twice- no keys-nightmare
I posted some notes on the fenceposts on the way I took, asking if anyone found them to let me know-nothing-contacted the police-nothing
I assumed it wouldn’t be too complicated a job (well the last time I had this sort of problem cars didn’t have immobilisers….) to get the car started somehow.
So I called the mechanic out.
He couldn’t start the car, and said it was down to the “chip in the ke”y and some other stuff that I hadn’t a chance of understanding.
Car is now towed back home, dead.
Whilst I understand that answering this kind of question on an open forum wouldn’t be wise, would there be any chance someone could email me with some sort of suggestion about what to do next?
Do I really have to scrap the car because I lost the ignition key?
Having been made redundant I don’t have a lot of money to play with on solving this one (read that as NO money to solve this one ;))
Ford said they can sort it out. For £450. (The car cost £250….)
Would anyone out there care to save my life?

Kymmy
24-05-2011, 12:42
There will be a method of programming the car to a new key, you do though need to get a new key which is where Ford comes into the equation especially as you have no original to copy.

Sorry but I have to ask why you didn't get a spare key cut in the first place??

joglynne
24-05-2011, 12:43
Whilst you are waiting to see if one of our members can help you may want to have a browse over at the Ford Owners Club Forums as they have a section devoted to the KA. I was having a weird electrical window problem with my Focus and the help I got from the Club members was outstanding.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=3

Oh and Welcome to the Forums Graham. :)

Kymmy
24-05-2011, 12:46
PS.. you can not bypass the immobiliser as it is part of the ECU, you could though replace the ECU with a 3rd party one but that would be about twice the price of a new key from Ford..

Kymmy
24-05-2011, 12:55
Looks like this will be the very cheapest option

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-KA-2008-Immobiliser-Recoding-and-key-/110603204504?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19c076f798

Surprised they're offering the service at that low a price. Still though needs you to be mechanically compotent in removing the unit and at least one key barrel

graham chalk
24-05-2011, 13:00
There will be a method of programming the car to a new key, you do though need to get a new key which is where Ford comes into the equation especially as you have no original to copy.

that would be because I'm an idiot;)

---------- Post added at 11:00 ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 ----------

Whilst you are waiting to see if one of our members can help you may want to have a browse over at the Ford Owners Club Forums as they have a section devoted to the KA. I was having a weird electrical window problem with my Focus and the help I got from the Club members was outstanding.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=3

Oh and Welcome to the Forums Graham. :)
thanks. willdo

Maggy
24-05-2011, 13:38
I share your pain.

I once locked my only set of keys in my old Nisson and the problems I had getting sorted out cost me too.:(

graham chalk
24-05-2011, 13:48
I share your pain.

I once locked my only set of keys in my old Nisson and the problems I had getting sorted out cost me too.:(
It gets worse.
I just realised I didn't spell "immobilised" right:dunce:

Julian
24-05-2011, 13:50
I don't suppose you have comprehensive insurance do you?

They could well cover lost keys.

graham chalk
24-05-2011, 13:53
PS.. you can not bypass the immobiliser as it is part of the ECU, you could though replace the ECU with a 3rd party one but that would be about twice the price of a new key from Ford..
howz about I get another ECU thingy & a matched key from the scrapyard?
will this work?

---------- Post added at 11:53 ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 ----------

I don't suppose you have comprehensive insurance do you?

They could well cover lost keys.

unfortunately not. usually yes. as luck would have it, not this time...

Kymmy
24-05-2011, 14:02
howz about I get another ECU thingy & a matched key from the scrapyard?
will this work?..

Yes but more than likely to cost the same or more as well as the time/effort to replace all the lock barrels

graham chalk
24-05-2011, 15:17
keys found! handed in to Hamsterly forest visitors centre!!
however mechanic says we need a "lock set as he buggered the black box when trying to start it"
haven't a clue what this means but I think it's generally good news.....
ty for everyone's help!!!

joglynne
24-05-2011, 15:33
keys found! handed in to Hamsterly forest visitors centre!!
however mechanic says we need a "lock set as he buggered the black box when trying to start it"
haven't a clue what this means but I think it's generally good news.....
ty for everyone's help!!!

You are one lucky man. :D

Glad to hear you are at least part way sorted. Let us know how you get on. We are an unashamedly nosey lot on here and like to hear how problems finally get sorted. :)

ZrByte
24-05-2011, 16:35

Its not always that simple as some cars have special procedures to add a new key. I have just such a problem with my focus. It only came with one key and though six in total can be programmed you need two functioning keys to do it. So the only reason for me to have another key cut would be for if I locked my key inside the car as it would only unlock and not start the car.

mr_bo
24-05-2011, 19:39
Where are you with this?

I don't get what the mechanic is saying, need a new lock set as the black box is buggered? If you ordered a lock set it doesn't come with a black box, is he someone whose services you've employed?

Have you tried the retrieved key? If the sole remaing key works and is the master key (red) you can add subsequent keys without the need of a ford main dealer to a max of 5 before the ecu will accept no more. If you don't have the master key and the one you got works ok then I'd expect to pay around £80 ish for a ford main dealer to supply and code a new spare key. It's simply a case of programming with ford diagnostic system (FDS or WDS) and is not labour intensive.

First you need to try the retrieved key and see where you are.

graham chalk
25-05-2011, 19:22
Where are you with this?

I don't get what the mechanic is saying, need a new lock set as the black box is buggered? If you ordered a lock set it doesn't come with a black box, is he someone whose services you've employed?

Have you tried the retrieved key? If the sole remaing key works and is the master key (red) you can add subsequent keys without the need of a ford main dealer to a max of 5 before the ecu will accept no more. If you don't have the master key and the one you got works ok then I'd expect to pay around £80 ish for a ford main dealer to supply and code a new spare key. It's simply a case of programming with ford diagnostic system (FDS or WDS) and is not labour intensive.

First you need to try the retrieved key and see where you are.

ok-the current situation is........disaster
The mechanic initially buggered the ignition barrel thinking he could just start it like they do in the movies...then he thought that all we needed was the chip out of the keys (which we recovered) and another ignition barrel with the old chip in the new key...
When he fitted the new ignition switch: the dashboard lights up but engine won't start.The immobiliser light is still flashing too
He has now asked advice (about time;)) and been told that the whole thing needs recoding??.......He thought that if the key chip that the immobiliser was coded to was now being used in the new ignition key....Bingo...........seems not !!
My partner wrote the above.
I wasn't present while mechanic was coming to this conclusion. If I had been present I think I might have struck him with something large and heavy.
Incidentally though I describe him as a mechanic, he's a friend who normally fixes our vehicles. He isn't someone we can sue the bejasus out of at this point. If he had been I would be.

graham chalk
25-05-2011, 20:05
Seems to me that you need to get somebody who understands how the whole system works rather than someone who just uses a bigger hammer.
I couldn't agree more.
I think the black box is ok. I think I added it to the list of busted stuff by mistake.
I'll try doing what you suggest and search for someone local (an auto electrician?) who understands car electronics.

Lord Nikon
26-05-2011, 02:20
Better seeking an auto locksmith. But I think I know the issue before you start. I will assume the antenna coil round the ignition lock is broken, they are quite delicate and the 'mechanic' probably damaged it. Try another coil, usually a black ring with two wires coming off it. The flashing immobiliser light is normally a sign that the key cannot be read. You may be able to pick one up from the scrapyards or worst case - Ford.

You could also have got a new ignition barrel from ford coded to your original key based off the key number. (If you don't know your key number drop me a pm with a picture of the blade of the key in as high a quality as possible) Ford Ka tend to use the Tibbe locks which are easy to decode and build to order. (Apart from the new ones which are a Fiat lock as it's a modified Fiat 500)

Paul
26-05-2011, 03:22
Maybe the cheapest solution is just to scrap the car and get another for £250 ?

graham chalk
26-05-2011, 11:16
Maybe the cheapest solution is just to scrap the car and get another for £250 ?
Possibly. Depends on how much this costs to get sorted. Car just has a fresh mot and I recently was made redundant so money is short right now.

mr_bo
26-05-2011, 13:57
I agree with what Lord Nikon said, check the inductive pick-up coil. If the guy does not know what he is doing and has managed to break an ignition lock barrell then there is a good chance he has broken the coil, or simply hasn't re-connected it.

You are looking at £109.62 + labour although very easy to fit (part no 1040813) to replace the said item.

Lord Nikon
27-05-2011, 01:17
There's a couple of ECU / Pickup coils on ebay for under 60 quid at the moment depending on the engine size, no reprogramming, just swap the pair (Turns out the ka's immo transponder code system is part of the coil)

graham chalk
02-06-2011, 21:20
ok, finally................
I promised to let you good folks know when the last chapter was written
the saga of the dead £250 Ka is now written.
The mechanic sourced a new set of locks from the scrapyard (including ignition) , fitted them and........nothing
A week later he went back to the same scrappy and got the "black box" ignition unit and the ECU from the same dead Ka.
fitted these and ....nothing.
might not be enough juice in the battery"
jumper cables out
nothing
My partner helpfully suggested:
"are you sure you've put the right chip into the key"
He'd put the old chip in the new key then the new ECU in the car to replace the old ECU......
"Yes of course I have"
Swapped them round and vuooooomph
car starts
well done Shaun!
Dunno how I'm paying him as I owe him about £15,000 by now....but the boy -finally-did good.

Kymmy
02-06-2011, 21:23
Finally did it is one thing.. Perhaps though he should have done it days ago ;)

Glad you're sorted :clap: