PDA

View Full Version : Would you have changed anything

Arthurgray50@blu
24-05-2011, 12:10
I am now coming up to my 60th birthday very soon, and l was sitting and thinking, over the past sixty years, If l had the chance to change anything what would it be.

I have made mistakes, like everyone else, but what changes would l make.

Has any other member thought about the same thing, Its like that advert on the Tv, with the piano (have you seen it).:)

Damien
24-05-2011, 12:15
Happy 60th Arthur :)

Hugh
24-05-2011, 12:15
Good question, Arthur.

There's lots of things I wish hadn't happened (such as my first divorce, having to leave the RAF, working away so much), but if they hadn't happened, I probably wouldn't be where I am now (just celebrated my 25th wedding anniversary with two (reasonably) well-balanced children, good job, nice house, fairly happy).

So, I wish they hadn't happened, because they caused a lot of pain and upset, but I am glad to be where I am, so I wouldn't want to make any changes.

dilli-theclaw
24-05-2011, 12:19
Yes I have thought about it and no I haven't seen the ad.

Chris
24-05-2011, 14:30
Regrets ... I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention. I did what I had to do ...

Mick Fisher
24-05-2011, 14:32
Just keep looking forward Mate! Never, ever look back.

Oh! and welcome to the BIG 6-O when you get there. :)

mrmistoffelees
24-05-2011, 14:32
I constantly think about what i could have done differently but then I might not be me

joglynne
24-05-2011, 16:13
There are many things that I wish I had or hadn't done and quite a few that I wish hadn't happened but, in all honesty, each thing I think of resulted in making me stronger. All in all I think I have come out a better person so ... no, I wouldn't change anything.

Anonymouse
24-05-2011, 16:26
One very bad decision I made in 1985, based on inadequate information. To explain:

The year after I (thankfully) left sixth form college, thoroughly demoralised and shattered, I got an unsolicited offer from Sheffield Polytechnic for an HND IT course, covering everything I was interested in - hardware (right down to architecture level, i.e. actual chip design!), software, fibre optics, lasers, even holography. 3 years, or 4 with industrial placement. Sounded like a dream come true.

I didn't go for it. I talked it over with Mum, and she told me that while I was at college she got something - grant, benefit, I'm not sure - but because of what Dad was earning (which was never that much), she only got a fraction of it. We assumed it'd be the same on this course, and with living away as well, it sounded as if I couldn't afford it.

It wasn't until 1989 that I discovered that grants for HNDs were mandatory - I'd have got the full amount regardless, and a bit more for living away from home, if only it had occurred to me to ask the local education authority. At the end of the course I'd have had an HND at the exact time the industry was screaming for them, and I don't know where I'd be now, but I'm pretty sure I'd be a lot better off. :(

Halcyon
24-05-2011, 18:10
There are many things we do in life, some good, some things we regret, it is part of life I guess.

If there was one thing I would change it would have been realising a relationship I was in a few years ago with my ex wasnt right for me.
Lots of awful feeelings of saddness and not good days.

Thankfully, I am now out of that situation and taking each day as onwards and upwards.

Sirius
24-05-2011, 18:12
There are things i would have changed given the chance. I honestly dont want to dwell on them much :(