PDA

View Full Version : Wireless connection keeps disconnecting ?

kthmurrell
23-05-2011, 20:02
Hi, i have Virgin broadband direct into my main PC & i use a netgear router to provide wireless connections to a Xbox & 2 other laptops, the Xbox is fine wirelessly but the 2 laptops when used causes the broadband connection to disconnect & i have to keep disconnecting the modem & router & rebooting them to get it going again, it is nothing to do with the 2 laptops which are new acer models as my previous laptops did the same thing, they interfere some way with the connection. I want to add that my router uses "G" technology & not the new "N", this is my last line of thinking but am i clutching at straws ?

PLEASE HELP !!!!!!

General Maximus
23-05-2011, 22:47
try only using one laptop at a time for starters and see how that goes. Check the configuration settings of the wireless adaptor in each laptop and make sure they match those of the router. Forget the xbox as well, try each laptop individually and see if they connect. If they don't, try manually setting the wireless channels on the router to 1, 6 or 11 and set the wireless mode to G only.

Can you use both laptops at the same time if they are connected with a patch cable?

kthmurrell
24-05-2011, 08:28
try only using one laptop at a time for starters and see how that goes. Check the configuration settings of the wireless adaptor in each laptop and make sure they match those of the router. Forget the xbox as well, try each laptop individually and see if they connect. If they don't, try manually setting the wireless channels on the router to 1, 6 or 11 and set the wireless mode to G only.

Can you use both laptops at the same time if they are connected with a patch cable?

It dont matter if i use 1 or 2 laptops, connection may be ok for 5 mins, half hour or 2 hours but all of a sudden the connection goes & we have to start again, everything works fine but all of a sudden the connection goes.
How do i check the configuration settings of the wireless adaptor, im not really clued up on the wireless side of things.

Thanks